UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lactic Acidosis

7/23/10 11:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am looking for information, treatment procedures and really anything I can find on this issue. What training techniques are out there to offset this. I heard about a Gracie diet that helps prevent it. Share some knowledge with me.

I know not breathing is what brought that on. I am now sleeping with my MP3 player looping "Breath Drago, You Are Breathing" by Matt Serra (available on iFunes). Aside from that what do you know about this problem and how can a fighter train to fight with it?

I train 5-6 times a week, we hard spar twice a week, I do my strength and conditioning and cardio work 5 days a week. I really cannot train any more then I already do so I need to solve this with diet, training tweaks and things of that nature.

Let me hear what you have to say.

-Carwin
7/23/10 11:59 PM
rjbo71
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An interesting article on new thinking and science on the subject (even though the article is 2006 It is still relevant)

Hope it helps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html
7/24/10 12:00 AM
stonedude

I heard drinking your first morning's piss has many health benefits.
7/24/10 12:01 AM
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonedude - I heard drinking your first morning's piss has many health benefits.

Never going to happen :)
7/24/10 12:03 AM
Bankable
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fixing the breathing should be 80% of the battle
7/24/10 12:05 AM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its what killed Private Willie Santiago.
7/24/10 12:05 AM
HammerHands
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/LT_training.htm
7/24/10 12:07 AM
Slapsymaxi
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't there some genetics to this?

I thought it was talked about in the Olympics that Michael Phelphs' body produced a substantially lower amount of lactic acid?

Max
7/24/10 12:07 AM
ShanTheMan
929 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am lactose intolerant, hope that helps.
7/24/10 12:08 AM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/24/10 12:08 AM
Twin Lab used to make a supplement called Phos Fuel that worked wonders. It wasn't a cure all, but it buffered the acid and let you much much further than normal.

Supplementing Sodium Phosphate or Sodium Bicarbonate should give you a similar effect. It is worth a shot anyway.

I haven't been able to find any reputable brands that sell it anymore, this is all I could come up with: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fort/phosphate.html

If you are sponsored by a supplement company, I am sure they could whip something up for you, it would be very simple.
Massa
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long slow running.

Find a marathon running trainer, they will fix it for you.
jar of flies
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try some of Nick Diaz's brownies
7/24/10 12:10 AM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Massa - Long slow running.

Marathon running is aerobic, the problem he is having is very anaerobic.
7/24/10 12:11 AM
Shane Carwin

Clichy - 
Massa - Long slow running.

Marathon running is aerobic, the problem he is having is very anaerobic.

Yes I can run for miles no problem, always been a great runner for my size.
7/24/10 12:14 AM
ajl416az

you didn't get tired because of training or diet, you just didn't pace yourself.

HWs cant keep working and throwing 100 punches a round and not get tired.
7/24/10 12:15 AM
NYcauliEAR

Shane,

It's not a question of how much you train, but what you are actually doing during those training sessions. You may be doing strength and cardio 5x week, but still not getting into the heart rate/ lactate zones that you need to be in. Are you taking frequent lactate readings during training, sparing, and then during conditioning sessions? If not, then you cannot truly be sure of whether you are training in the zones that are necessary to prepare you for the fight. If I've said anything here that peaks your interest feel free to contact me further.
7/24/10 12:16 AM
ShanTheMan
929 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shane, on a side note, have you seen the GIRL/CAMERA/MIRROR thread?
7/24/10 12:17 AM
MontyG

sounds like your doing TOO much cardio, 5x a week seems a bit much of intense cardio workouts.. constantly wearing down
7/24/10 12:19 AM
Heykiddo

Has your body ever responded while training like it did during your fight?
SMACDADDY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I use to lift often, I'd drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of baking soda. Seemed to help. Apparently sodium bicarbonate is suppose to counter the acid.
Mad Xyientist
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/24/10 12:21 AM
I suggest developing Lactic Acidosis Intolerance. Or voodoo.
7/24/10 12:21 AM
bullson

ajl416az - you didn't get tired because of training or diet, you just didn't pace yourself.

HWs cant keep working and throwing 100 punches a round and not get tired.

And if all of the punches landed flush you would have won, but many were just hitting Brocks arms and you punched yourself out. Work on accuracy and effeciency, brother.
7/24/10 12:22 AM
chris laidlaw

In baseball, pitchers (after pitching) will run to relieve the lactic acid build up in their body.

In other words, run.
7/24/10 12:22 AM
chris laidlaw

In baseball, pitchers (after pitching) will run to relieve the lactic acid build up in their body.

In other words, run.
7/24/10 12:24 AM
NYcauliEAR

There are various products that can act as buffering agents. Some will cause extreme GI distress while others will be tolerated. Also, you will get a ton of nonsense on this thread that says you do too much cardio, or too little cardio, when again it's not how much, it's what type and how you have periodized your program up to that point.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.