UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> How safe is Colombia for US cit? ANy EX pat's

7/24/10 4:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Todd Lally
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking for a little help. my girlfriend is from Cali Colombia, we are thinking about go to Colombia for a vacation. she has not been there sence she was little. So, is it safe? What about if you are a single traveler?

Thinking about Cali, medeline(sp) bogotoa(sp)etc.

Is it easy to get around? Safe? what if you don't speak spanish?

Thanks
7/29/10 3:31 AM
AZ Combat Sports

they will kill you.

before you go sign your shit over.

blind man just blind.
8/14/10 7:18 PM
Caderona

Edited: 08/14/10 7:20 PM
My family is from Colombia...I just got back from vacation. Stayed in Palmira (20 mins from Cali) and we got to visit Buenaventura, Popayan and a few other places. It is incredibly safe, not what the media feeds everyone. As long as you aren't stupid, going out with your 10 thousand dollar diamond crusted watch or whatever, you will be ok. Of course there are thieves, but it's the same as in the states. It's a beautiful country, and the only thing to be afraid of is not wanting to come back to the US. Just mind your own business, don't be a douche, and have a blast. The more you eat, dance and drink guaro, the more they will love you.<br /><br />It's easy to get around, there are taxis and buses everywhere. Safe if you aren't an idiot, and if you don't speak Spanish, you better start practicing!!<br /><br />Hope you guys do decide to go there, it's an amazing place with amazing people, culture, and food. You are right close to the Andes, the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, and Cali is only 2 hours away from the Pacific coast. There is everything to see and do there, it's beautiful.
9/10/10 1:22 AM
RobbieH

Forum member John Nada lives in Colombia now, he also helps expats, very good guy and has given me tons of info.

I am going to Santa Marta probably in December...
11/9/10 3:38 AM
TheAdonis

Depends on where in Colombia. Stay away from the south if you are a white boy. Medellin is safe for the most part, just stay in El poblado, sabaneta, envigado, laureles, etc. The safer neighborhoods. Medellin has a TON of beautiful women, and the best climate on the planet. 75 during the day, 60 at night NO humidity and no bugs. Fun people and the parties are insane. WARNING: if you are into the white stuff or have any vices I guarantee you you'll die in medellin. Stay away from the drug culture and shady areas and you'll be alright.

Cali is supposed to be the land of salsa and big bootied babes. More colored women there, and also more dangerous than Medellin. Just don't get slobbering drunk and never leave your drink unattended. Having a spanish speaking latina with you will all but ensure you don't get fucked with.

One interesting sidebar- some dudes were fucking with me when I was walking by this one club. They apparently thought I was German. The first few insults I ignored, but then I wheeled around and called them "anondo" (midgets) and told them to step the fuck up. The second they hear i'm an American they think twice. Amazingly enough, most colombians think WE are the violent ones. Most of the men are small here, but DO NOT go out of your way to piss anyone off and diffuse shit when you can. Life is cheap here and a motorcycle assassin can be hired to cap your ass for $100 usd. Just don't fuck with the locals and stay away from the drug culture and you'll be fine. FYI- the police were doing drug checkpoints and car to car searches in the barrio colombia section in Medellin! watch it. You don't want to try a colombian prison.

You have a huge advantage having a local with you.

Take salsa classes and work on your spanish relentlessly before your trip. It will pay dividends. Less than 1% speaks english!!! remember that. The locals are mostly cool, but lock up your valuables, and passport. Don't drop your guard. The second you do, you are asking for it. All that said, I feel safer in Medellin than I do in most U.S. big cities.
11/9/10 3:45 AM
TheAdonis

Todd- check out "coffee break spanish" on itunes. It is a free podcast.

Also search megaupload for the pimseleur spanish latin america tapes. They are excellent

You do not need spanish, but it will be painful if you do not have functional spanish. If you bring your old lady she can translate, but you will have SO much more fun if you can dance salsa and speak some very basic spanish. Smile a lot and try your spanish out. The locals will be thrilled you are trying to learn their language.

A few locals may poke fun, but the majority will be totally cool with you and curious why you are there. Enjoy! colombia is a gem.
12/2/10 1:31 PM
Sir Wurtherford C Pickelhaub III PhD

What is it about the south that is so dangerous?

I actually got interested in Colombia recently when I watched a DVD of Anthony Bourdain's show with the Colombia episode. Food sounds great.
10/10/11 9:19 PM
Todd Lally

Edited: 10/10/11 9:20 PM
Adonis, Are you still in ColombiaThis is Todd Lally of Arizona Combat Sports. I am thinking of going to Meddelin in Nov. if you are living there or are a still there let me know We can grab a beer sometime!
8/29/12 4:26 AM
Todd Lally

Ok, Back from Colombia! Stayed an extra 2 weeks!

All of you guys should never ever go there! Stay away from my Paradise!

I might just move to Medellin! Loved it!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.