UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> .22 Quiet Ammo

7/26/10 12:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have some ground hog problems where I live (in a township) and would like to use my .22 to start taking care of them. While I'm permitted to fire a weapon in my are I do have a neighbor on one side of me and would like to be as silent as possible when taking my shot. Also, I would like to have the weapon ready and not have to put my muffs on. What type of .22 ammo would be best for this? I have a Marlin lever action .22 that I would use this ammo in and it can fire shorts, long, and LR. I have fired shorts out of it before and all you could hear was a click of the bolt when it fired so I'm looking for something similar. Are there any brands or rounds I should be looking for? Coincidently, I also have a Ruger .22 pistol and wouldn't mind being able to use the ammo in that weapon either.

Thanks
7/26/10 6:22 PM
detonator
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Super Colibri ammo sounds like what you need.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM066-5.html
7/27/10 12:28 AM
ffjc805

detonator - Super Colibri ammo sounds like what you need.

THIS--Aquilas Super Colibri...no powder, fired off the primer only but still powerful enough to drop what your shooting at...cheap, like $32.00 for 500...get it bro you wont regret it...
7/27/10 1:51 PM
Skpotamus
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/27/10 1:53 PM
Try the aguila sniper sub sonics, a little bit of powder, with a heavy bullet that does some pretty nasty damage to a racoon or possum at least. Will cycle a ruger 10/22 and is quiet enough to not wake up wife down the hallway when I was shooting it through an open window at some racoons.
7/27/10 11:38 PM
ffjc805

Cycling an automatic can be a problem for the super colibri, i forgot to mention...
7/30/10 10:17 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ffjc805 - 
detonator - Super Colibri ammo sounds like what you need.

THIS--Aquilas Super Colibri...no powder, fired off the primer only but still powerful enough to drop what your shooting at...cheap, like $32.00 for 500...get it bro you wont regret it...

I was thinking about getting these but I heard that you shouldn't shoot them through a long barrel gun because they just fire off of teh primer and it could get stuck going down the barrel. Any truth to this?
7/30/10 7:50 PM
Kai Tremeche

Skpotamus - Try the aguila sniper sub sonics, a little bit of powder, with a heavy bullet that does some pretty nasty damage to a racoon or possum at least. Will cycle a ruger 10/22 and is quiet enough to not wake up wife down the hallway when I was shooting it through an open window at some racoons.

...You were shooting from inside your house?

That is simultaneously awesome and terrifying.
7/31/10 11:16 AM
Skpotamus
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kai Tremeche - 
Skpotamus - Try the aguila sniper sub sonics, a little bit of powder, with a heavy bullet that does some pretty nasty damage to a racoon or possum at least. Will cycle a ruger 10/22 and is quiet enough to not wake up wife down the hallway when I was shooting it through an open window at some racoons.

...You were shooting from inside your house?

That is simultaneously awesome and terrifying.

Lol, yeah, I lived in the country at the time :o) My wife had adopted this cat that had the kittens that were outside. Raccoons and possums kept trying to get them. The wife wanted them kept safe, so I loaded up my Ruger 10/22 with the aguila's. Walked by the door and saw a coon stalking one of the kittens, We were actually living in a trailer then that had a wooden shelter roof built over it to form a kind of porch/driveway with a concrete pad under it. Perfect setup to make things echo. Never woke her up. So the SSS's are freakin quiet! I actually liken it to my old BB gun in terms of noise (one of the break action types). The heavy bullet also does some nasty damage, as in takes off a good portion of a raccoons skull.

A hit to the head of a ground hog should put it down easy. I mean, they tore up 20lb coons with hits to the head and ribs, so a 10lb woodchuck shouldn't be a problem for it.

Now, I never really shot past about 10 paces with it, so not sure what it'll do at longer ranges, but I'd guess it'd lose steam quick.
8/2/10 7:32 PM
detonator

I was thinking about getting these but I heard that you shouldn't shoot them through a long barrel gun because they just fire off of teh primer and it could get stuck going down the barrel. Any truth to this?

I fire them through a rifle all the time. YMMV, of course.
8/9/10 10:37 AM
Dark Knight
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy a suppressor. For some reason they have taken off in sales. But for around the home they are great.

Pay the initial tax and that baby is yours
8/11/10 2:25 PM
BobAsh

Even with a suppressor you need subsonic ammo bro.
8/15/10 3:57 PM
WidespreadPanic

Though probably pretty illegal, it is (allegedly) pretty cool to set up a sniper's nest and plink pests and critters out your second floor windows into the woods. Just make sure you have ample backsplash for ricochets and misses.

I've used CB caps (primer load .22s) and pellet guns to shoot legal outdoor targets or at the local gun club range.. The Daisy long gun single cock pistol 770 has great accuracy for this (doesn't take a power shot but a clean eye/head shot for pests).

Both are very quiet rounds. Of course I can't promote illegal apartment shooting...
9/17/10 10:27 AM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy gave me a box of the Colibri because he didn't think his 10/22 would cycle it. Can't wait to try it in my single six.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.