UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Quieting the drums (for neighbors)

7/26/10 5:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJSavate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As if wasting time noodling on the guitar wasn't bad enough, now I'm learning me some drums.

I want to be able to practice but don't want my neighbors to shoot me.

I hear there are some kind of pads I can put on the heads?

Any recommendations?
7/27/10 2:24 AM
BarkLikeADog

Roland V-Drum kit.
8/7/10 6:10 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is a very cheap and effective method.

accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sound-Percussion-Standard-Drum-Mute-Prepack

this is what i use in conjunction with some cymbal mutes.  alows me to play the full kit while keeping quiet.

win/ win!!
8/11/10 9:25 PM
BJJSavate

Bull,
What about for your Bass Drum?
8/11/10 11:09 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck.. Do I have to do all the thinkiing for you? :-D

accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sound-Percussion-Total-Drum-Set-Mute-Prepack
8/17/10 2:43 AM
mwmhong
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - Roland V-Drum kit.

^ This.

You can have real drum sounds 24/7 without the lame-o pads to keep quiet
9/7/10 12:07 AM
Georbraham Linkington

BarkLikeADog - Roland V-Drum kit.

I know they're expensive, but soooo worth it. Not even my bitch of a mother bothers me
9/20/10 9:05 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to agree with getting a v-drum kit. the mute pads are TERRIBLE! and they will turn you off from playing drums .
9/27/10 8:04 PM
Vegaschowder
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the vdrum kit but the response is not the same as an acoustic drum set. We had one at church and though it sounded nice on the system, took a lil time to get used to. My recommendation would be to buy those bristle sticks, like these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pro-Mark-Stealth-Rods?sku=417031

I have some and though they don't entirely mute the drums, it doesn't create the earache that regular drumsticks will cause.
11/25/10 4:04 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you could always play them more softly.
11/26/10 1:25 AM
Thelonious

Edited: 11/26/10 1:29 AM
+1 on electric drums. If you play them a lot you can develop some bad habits, but I've grown to love them for practise. Must be mesh pads though and a good hi-hat or it's a toy

Doesn't have to be roland; I have a pintech kit, yamaha cymbals and a roland brain... You can save costs by just buying the triggers and mesh and turning and acoustic into an electric as well, but you'd need cymbals and a module
11/26/10 1:38 AM
Thelonious

Edited: 11/26/10 1:41 AM
[QUOTE]Vegaschowder - I like the vdrum kit but the response is not the same as an acoustic drum set.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean by response? on a nice kit there should be no latency and the pads are dynamic.

The rebound is a little different, but similar to switching from a tight coated to a looser ebony imo. The biggest problem is getting realistic feeling cymbals and hi-hats.

You basically have to spend 500$ to get a remotely decent hi-hat imo, which is crazy when you get a nice 4 pc vintage kit for a few hundred more. A full kit, that feels realistic, is going to be a few thousand, minimum.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.