UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> God vs. Science

7/28/10 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anyone is interested, here's a link to 12 essays on whether or not Science makes belief in God obsolete. One of them is by Hitchens. I've only scanned through them, but some of them look interesting.

http://www.templeton.org/belief/
7/28/10 5:11 PM
toelocku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ these clowns...frum the site...i stopped after this brilliance...

"They are two very different approaches to epistemology. Science is the objective knowledge of the differntiated Reality that exists in time and space, the universe in which human beings live and which they can study through a specific consensually validated methodology."

The very term 'objective knowledge', in the way in which THEY are using it presupposes the ability to be objective which deduces in to a Truth statement. Truth statements in a atheistic construct CAN NEVER be Truly(lol) proven as the very concept of Truth wouldn't exist(out of nothing really has to mean nothing).

These 'objective facts'(aka 'educated guesses') scientists use when broken down/deduced are actually ideas/concepts(see the quantum level) and are in reality spiritual in 'nature'.

you literally couldnt think or talk in an atheistic construct. without Truth we have no basis for anything, zero frame of reference. EVERY move we make is based on Truth statements which ARE NOT PHYSICAL IN 'REALITY'.

any site with that much attention addressed to denying somthing(religion) that would be akin to the disproving of the tooth fairy to believers. people like this should be dismissed out of hand. these people hate God because there deeds are evil and don't want to be judged...end of story.

7/28/10 5:16 PM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was that from the site or one of the essays? Just from a quick read, the essays themselves seemed pretty fairly balanced with all sorts of different viewpoints.
7/28/10 5:17 PM
Lahi

I see what you're quoting, looks like a reader comment, not a statement from the website.
7/28/10 5:19 PM
Lahi

And it looks like that guy is actually saying some of the same things you are.
7/28/10 5:20 PM
toelocku

from the homepage...pick another 'good one', i'm in the mood to make swiss cheese(LW).
7/28/10 5:24 PM
Lahi

? Seeing that in a reader commenent, not on the homepage, but next to the collection of essays on this topic. Again I think the guy isn't far off from whay you're saying. If you keep reading, his point is that science inherently posseses limitations which make it unable to effectively comment on the nature and existence of God.
7/28/10 5:25 PM
toelocku

wow man i think your right...that was actually 'good'.

like i said i only got to that first para. and stopped i thought this was a page of atheists with hitchens on it.

my fault...sorry.
7/28/10 5:33 PM
Lahi

No worries...I'm not sure what kind of group the Templeton Foundation is. Never heard of them until someone sent me this.
7/28/10 5:36 PM
toelocku

which ones do you recommend?
7/28/10 8:12 PM
Lahi

What do you think about the one by Robert Sapolsky? Seems like he hits on a few things that come up a lot in this debate.

I've only had time to look at a couple so far.
7/29/10 1:02 AM
Ridgeback
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a lot of great religious/science talks on this site.  They really aren't debates since the speakers are, as far as I can tell, various types of theists, but the quality is usually pretty decent and the speakers have real credentials vs. a lot of pontificators on the subject.  I am impressed with John Polkinghorne's approach to the whole question.  He was a scientist who went on to become an Anglican priest.  

http://www.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/faraday/Multimedia.php
9/8/10 10:32 AM
NeckCranks
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Science by K.O. in the first round.
9/8/10 11:20 AM
the rooster

God is the fountain of truth. Science is our limited explanation for the world around us. But real science is completely compatible with faith as was proven by some of the greatest scientist known to the world (Mendel, Pasteur, Bacon, Newton,etc.)
9/8/10 12:29 PM
Lahi

NeckCranks - Science by K.O. in the first round.

Have you read any of the essays? I can't see why they have to be opposed. How do you explain good scientists who are believers of different faiths?
9/8/10 7:22 PM
Ridgeback
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Science can disprove the existence of God, give us morality, and solve all of mankind's problems.  It can also walk the dog, run a country, and take out the garbage.
9/8/10 8:39 PM
Lahi

LOL
9/8/10 10:41 PM
LoveToChoke

Sam Harris has a video on www.TED.com where he talks about science and morality. It's very good.
9/9/10 1:25 AM
Ridgeback

LoveToChoke - Sam Harris has a video on www.TED.com where he talks about science and morality. It's very good.

I watched it and I disagree.  Harris is prone to the fallacy of a category error.  He uses vague phrases such as "human well being," which is just a variation on Jeremy Bentham/John Stuart Mill utilitarianism.  Science has no power to invent a new virtue or provide any ought statement for human experience.  The scientific method is great for what it does, but it is powerless to answer a moral question.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.