UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> World Class Judo School in Temecula, CA

7/28/10 11:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martiallist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

I've been training at SoCal Judo in Temecula, CA privately for a month now. Even though classes are privates, they are very affordable (hit up Coach Val for more info). I am the only adult being taught at the moment. Just trying to get more adults to sign up so that groups are also offered. Both Gi and NoGi Judo classes are offered here. There are 2 Judo Olympians Instructors here, Coach Valerie Gotay and Coach Israel Hernandez. Take a look at there website http://www.socaljudo.com or email val@socaljudo.com for more info. Mention you heard about the school from martiallist. http://martiallist.com/socal-judo/

Thanks,
-martiallist
7/29/10 8:23 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are lucky to have these 2 (young) world class competitors/instructors. They should draw students with their backgrounds. Starting up a judo school is challenging with competition from BJJ which seems to attract the youth today. A key in any successful judo school is getting a good kid/youth program in addition to an adult program. Privates are good. But I think you learn better in a class with other students.
7/29/10 5:54 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they are both great judokas and i hope your club grows to huge numbers. find a way to get the local papers to do an article about the two of them and people will walk in the door!!!
7/29/10 9:23 PM
martiallist

Thanks for the support guys. Yes, I do feel very lucky to be able to train with 2 Judo Olympians. I also agree that training in a group environment is very important, that's why I hope some adults sign up so I can have some training partners.

BJJ is getting very popular these days and I've studied it on and off for the past 5 years or so. I feel Judo and BJJ supplement each other very well. Anyways, if anyone here is from the Inland Empire and is interested in learning Judo, be sure to hit up SoCal Judo. Thanks.
8/1/10 12:19 AM
leothelion

Edited: 08/01/10 12:19 AM
 Judo is making somewhat of a comeback ( although truly it never went away).   

My boy has trained in Judo for a number of years now.   It is the best martial art for kids.   Judo gets them in shape.  

Val and Israel are top coaches. 

God bless 
8/1/10 9:18 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being in judo for 18 yrs the one question I have had is how can a martial art like judo not be popular with kids when compared to Karate/BJJ? I think it is the parents who are not familar with judo. Many of the judo parents watch their kids during class. Or is it a drop off thing? Or is soccer the easier sport to get them involved in with their peers?
8/1/10 10:54 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/01/10 11:21 AM
Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 Surveys show that more than 90% of martial arts practicioners study at locations that are within a 2 mile radius of their home.  That is the beginning of the issues that  judo faces in growing its base.

8/1/10 10:22 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the trailer for Israel Hernandez's new DVD "Everything You Should Know About Seoinage".  The trailer is outstanding, and it looks like mma.tv  member jayflo145's company  has done some top quality work on the DVD.

www.youtube.com/watch

Here is the link to Justin's website  www.jfloproductions.com

8/3/10 3:28 AM
leothelion

Edited: 08/03/10 3:36 AM
judoblackbelt - Being in judo for 18 yrs the one question I have had is how can a martial art like judo not be popular with kids when compared to Karate/BJJ? I think it is the parents who are not familar with judo. Many of the judo parents watch their kids during class. Or is it a drop off thing? Or is soccer the easier sport to get them involved in with their peers?

@JudoBB...you are so right brother.... It is the parents...kids love to roll around on the ground...I think my head will explode the next time I hear a parent say when I suggest they put their overweight kid ( although I don't say exactly like that, of course) in Judo " Oh...I had my kid in Karate for two weeks ect...he did'nt like it...btw Judo is like Karate, right?...."...My son trains in competition Judo during the football off season (has for years)....Judo makes him monkey strong for football ( and vice a versa I might add)... when I worked out a deal with my son's Judo club so all his football teammates could come and check out Judo....NOT ONE parent brought their kid to the club...Judo is tough...full of tough people.. ( I enjoy training in BJJ but Judo for pure toughness is off the hook)...not for the weak at heart...personally I don't think most American kids have what it takes to excell at Judo... they (or their parents) would much rather have them punch air...or play in a soccer league where no one keeps score and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year because they can't be hurting "little johnny's" self esteem....JUDO RULES!!!!   
8/3/10 8:39 AM
judoblackbelt

To Leothelion, I watch the kids class before ours and they truely like judo and are enjoying it. Kids excelling in judo is about 1 or 2/10. The other 8/9 are there because their parents value it and are involved. Judo is probably the least know grappling art in the US and yet one of the best in terms of what it teaches/developes. I ask those in judo much longer than me what happened to judo in the US? Some of my budies are teaching MMA/BJJ and the young adults just love these sports. They get to cage fight every 2 months in front of packed audience. Or fight in NAGA. Judo comp, not interested.
8/3/10 7:53 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 08/04/10 12:19 AM
We are probably getting into the sphere of hijacking the original posters thread, so I just want to touch base on a couple comments.

I think judo is the second best known grappling discipline in the USA behind wrestling.  The most accurate way that I think of to assess that, is to take a look at the most popular search engine's statistics on searches for the terms.  www.google.com/trends   Judo is second to wrestling and far above jiu-jitsu and sambo. If there is a more popular grappling style in the USA than those 4, I don't know what it is.

Notice the big spikes in 2004 and 2008, which were Olympic years in this study matching it against the term jujitsu (other study used linked used the term jiu-jitsu. Either way, judo was a much more popular search.)  www.google.com/trends   I point this out, merely as datapoint for people who might think the Olympic movement was detrimental to the development of judo in terms of increasing its popularity.

I don't buy the argument that judo is "too tough" for people either.  I can walk into any judo dojo, and the vast majority of the people are not going to stand out as physical specimens, and I don't find that most of them are truly gifted as athletes. While judo practice can be hard and exhausting, so can practice in other sports that are far more popular.  In terms of injuries, while judo has its fair share, there are other sports with much higher occurences of injury. One of the selling points of judo is that it can be practiced safely.

8/3/10 11:40 PM
martiallist

Hi OCJudo. It's cool, I don't think anyone's hijacking this thread. Even if it is hijacked, at least it keeps it active and it will be on the top. lol. Anyways, I find the posts very informative. I agree with your latest post, Judo and Wrestling are the most popular since it's practiced Worldwide.
8/4/10 12:11 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Hi martiallist,

I want to clarify.  I believe that judo is better known than jiu-jitsu and sambo, in the United States. I do not believe it is more popular than jiu-jitsu, though it is vastly more popular than sambo.  Both pale in comparison to wrestling.

What I would define as popularity would be total number of practicioners.  I have a pretty high level of confidence in the numbers that I come up with, and I think it is very safe to say that jiu-jitsu has more practicioners than judo in the United States.
8/4/10 12:28 AM
martiallist

Sorry OCJudo for my misinterpretation. I was talking about worldwide while you mentioned in the US in your earlier post. You are correct. BJJ has more practitioners in the US, but I do feel alot of BJJ practitioners have backgrounds in Judo as well.
8/5/10 1:17 AM
leothelion

OCJudoTrngCtr - We are probably getting into the sphere of hijacking the original posters thread, so I just want to touch base on a couple comments.

I think judo is the second best known grappling discipline in the USA behind wrestling.  The most accurate way that I think of to assess that, is to take a look at the most popular search engine's statistics on searches for the terms.  www.google.com/trends   Judo is second to wrestling and far above jiu-jitsu and sambo. If there is a more popular grappling style in the USA than those 4, I don't know what it is.

Notice the big spikes in 2004 and 2008, which were Olympic years in this study matching it against the term jujitsu (other study used linked used the term jiu-jitsu. Either way, judo was a much more popular search.)  www.google.com/trends   I point this out, merely as datapoint for people who might think the Olympic movement was detrimental to the development of judo in terms of increasing its popularity.

I don't buy the argument that judo is "too tough" for people either.  I can walk into any judo dojo, and the vast majority of the people are not going to stand out as physical specimens, and I don't find that most of them are truly gifted as athletes. While judo practice can be hard and exhausting, so can practice in other sports that are far more popular.  In terms of injuries, while judo has its fair share, there are other sports with much higher occurences of injury. One of the selling points of judo is that it can be practiced safely.

I concur....

Regarding Judo being tough...with tough people...I was thinking of competitive Judo athletes...not your standard club participant...

Personally I think every kid should train in Judo...it is marvelous for their overall developement...mind, body and spirit...I believe Judo has really civilized my son...made him a better person...

Thanks again for your thoughts.

If my son and I ever return to the OC for a visit can we come by and train with your club?

Leo

8/5/10 5:44 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Leo,

OCJTC is very close to Disneyland, so if you are vacationing or in the area for business, please call the Head Instructor Juan Montenegro at the number on the website; and let him know you are in the area and want to train. He is a very accomodating person.  We've had visitors from around the world come in.

I agree with you as well. Judo can be very tough....insanely tough in some environments.  Judo was very important in my own development, and navigating the changes from child to teenager to adult.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.