UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Is there more than one right way to play a hand?

7/29/10 7:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you feel that, based on the limited information, there is one "right" way to play?

I do not mean this in relation to what the villain actually ends up having, or how the board runs out, but strategically, based on only the information you would have at the moment you have to make the decision, do you feel that there is one correct way and the rest may be acceptible but less than ideal?

Or do you think there are multiple ways to play the same hand with the same level of "correctness"?

The reason I ask is because I was discussing the A-T in the BB hand I had at the WSOP event with a friend and we went through several different scenarios and I could see certain merits in each, but none that were overwhelmingly ideal.
7/30/10 12:59 PM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. There are situations where if your opponent plays game theory optimal, then by definition, folding, calling and raising would all have the same Expected Value: 0.

I bet that wasn't the answer you were looking for. :)
7/30/10 2:30 PM
andre
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!
7/30/10 6:00 PM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I think you are really grasping at is not information gathering, but that you are struggling with trying to figure out the relative importance of each piece of information.

In tournaments, as your stack sizes dwindle, you can usually mathematically calculate what is the 100% unarguably the correct play because you are very restricted into what possible plays you have. That's one example.
8/5/10 2:04 AM
wreckker
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are definetley times to play a hand even BAD.

Deep stack cash game when a fish thinks you are a rock.... play a trashy hand bad and make sure he see it.

In tournies too there are spots to play a hand badly or less than optimum because its worth it to adjust your table image....
8/6/10 8:56 PM
PR

Wreckker is correct, but I'd like to clarify that most people go way overboard when they try to do this. You have to pick your spot well, and make sure it doesn't cost very much.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.