UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rothwell out nine months

7/30/10 9:27 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell (31-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) sat at UFC 115's post-fight podium and made no excuses.

He had won a unanimous decision over Gilbert Yvel on the June 12 event's pay-per-view card but said it was "not a victory" for the fight's lack of finish. He chose not to disclose that he had torn his ACL on the first takedown of the three-round contest.

Rothwell on Tuesday underwent surgery to repair both his ACL and a torn meniscus and hopes to be back in action by February or March of 2011.

The June 12 fight took place almost entirely on the mat as the two heavyweights wrestled for control. Rothwell earned the judges' nod by maintaining dominant position and utilizing ground and pound.

As it turns out, though, he was fighting on one leg.

"It's just one of those things where you hurt yourself, and you hear it, and you feel it, and you know it's going to suck later," Rothwell today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) from his home in Kenosha, Wis., where he is recovering. "I was (in the mindset) that nothing was going to stop me from fighting."

Rothwell began physical therapy on Wednesday and said doctors told him he can begin strength training in three months. He also underwent surgery recently for a deviated septum, which came courtesy of a high kick he took from Yvel late in the first round.

"The average for something like this is six months to a year (of recovery), but [doctors] think that I'm going to be on the lower end of it," he said.

The former IFL fighter said he didn't want to speak about his injuries that night because the responsibility for the fight's outcome was ultimately his. He didn't want to speak about it at all, but he wanted to set the record straight when word of his procedure recently leaked out on the Internet.

"I could have finished that fight," he said. "Hurt knee, broke nose or not, I was still going to be throwing down. I didn't want to make any excuses."

He is anxious to prove himself once again in the cage but does not want to rush a return.

read entire article...

7/30/10 9:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man, that sucks for Big Ben. He deserves better, he can be a nice addition to the heavyweight field. Hope to see him back healthy sooner rather than later. 
7/30/10 9:34 AM
Fathead D
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow.  Heal up quick.  Also mad props to Ben for toughing out a pretty major injury to get the win against a quality opponent.  Hopefully some of the haters will eat some crow now.
7/30/10 9:40 AM
TheDigitalRuler
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the way Rothwell handled this. He knows a lot of fans are going to judge him based on a fight in which he did not perform well, but rather than make (legitimate) excuses, he's willing to take responsibility for how the fight played out and rely on his next fight - rather than his explanation of why his last fight went how it did - to show the fans his true abilities.

Big respect to Big Ben.

Is Tito paying attention?
7/30/10 10:27 AM
cweatapeach
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheDigitalRuler - Big respect to Big Ben.

Is Tito paying attention?

No shit. My respect for Rothwell just increased based on his refusal to make an excuse -- and in this case, the excuse would have been legitimate.
7/30/10 11:05 AM
ranier wolfcastle
835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRAZY HOW highly trained fighters can be so fragile
5/27/11 12:36 PM
devilishstoner
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any updates on his return?
5/27/11 2:08 PM
Fake Rassler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -  CRAZY HOW highly trained fighters can be so fragile

lol it's fucking hard to fight another trained professional without getting hurt, bro
5/27/11 2:10 PM
saerbarnet

Is he pregnant?
5/27/11 2:14 PM
croy_00
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -  CRAZY HOW highly trained fighters can be so fragile
Well, we know you have clearly never trained ever in your life. If your training/competing at this high of a level and do not get any injuries then you are either god or are doing something wrong.

This is fighting, not faping to your mom's high school prom video for several hours a day.....

5/27/11 3:29 PM
devilishstoner
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

has anyone heard anything from him? he hasn't competed since june of last year, and as far as i can tell there are no plans for him to return. been wondering where he is for a while.
5/27/11 4:15 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's in ridiculous shape, looks like a completely different fighter.

I can't wait to see Big Ben back in action.

TBidness
5/27/11 4:22 PM
DanTheWolfman

ttt for Ben, said he was looking forward to booking a fight a couple days ago
5/27/11 4:57 PM
devilishstoner

crankn101 - "Rothwell out nine months"

I bet he hopes its a boy.

bwahaha...

and ttt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.