UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Texas Man Walks Free After Serving 27 Years for Ra

7/30/10 12:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lazermonkey
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pe he didn't commit.

HOUSTON -- A judge has ordered that a Houston man who has spent the last 27 years imprisoned for a rape he didn't commit be freed on bond.

During a court hearing Friday, Michael Anthony Green was granted a $500 bond that will let him walk out of jail.

Green was expected to be released later Friday after his paperwork had been processed.

His pending release was made possible after the Harris County District Attorney's Office reopened his case. New DNA tests it commissioned showed he did not commit a 1983 rape of a woman who had been abducted.

Green's release had been set for Thursday, but was delayed a day after he become too emotional and angry while waiting in a holding cell for his court hearing.

7/30/10 12:43 PM
Govnor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://api.ning.com/files/OYzuSKBXsGOVZIzCk*t1gQLY0EWJC2*zZFxW0c0f-*UqbryqG9svmhat9gyAattDHKB004hac0enhjk2GLfsX-mhjcFFADU0/rbg_reparations.jpg
7/30/10 12:43 PM
Coffee Guy

sucks
7/30/10 12:48 PM
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank God for DNA!
7/30/10 12:51 PM
KILLtheZUFFAshill_PR
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow cant he sue ....fuck 27 years in jail and i didnt did shit???

btw WHAT THE FUCK IS THE INTERNET AND WHO ARE ALL THESE MEXICANS???
7/30/10 1:08 PM
AlphaSlap
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he will get paid for sure

7/30/10 2:35 PM
Rory Singer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will most certainly not see a dime. He was found guilty by a jury of his "peers". Unfortunately the type of DNA testing used today wasn't widely used that long ago and definitely not with the same type of accuracy. It's is most unfortunate because a lot these cases have come up recently.
7/30/10 2:46 PM
LITTLEFATMEXY
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

27 YEARS............THEY TOOK AWAY HIS WHOLE LIFE.............I WOULD FIND EVERY ONE OF THOSE JURORS,  THE JUDGE AND THE PROSECUTER AND KILL ALL THEIR FAMILIES.   

7/30/10 2:51 PM
OldManMinerva

LITTLEFATMEXY -  27 YEARS............THEY TOOK AWAY HIS WHOLE LIFE.............I WOULD FIND EVERY ONE OF THOSE JURORS,  THE JUDGE AND THE PROSECUTER AND KILL ALL THEIR FAMILIES.   

exactly

how do you not murder anyone u can get ur hands on

released on BOND?

I'm mad just reading this shit
7/30/10 2:55 PM
PJ Benn Fan
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone on this board also mentioned once that depending on the state, they will only release you if you agree not to sue the state for damages.

Its not like that here in Canada.
A couple of people have served lengthy prison terms and walked out of prison a free man and settled for millions.
7/30/10 3:10 PM
Rhymenoceros
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, they concluded that he wasn't the rapist, then decided to keep him in jail an extra day because he was angry? The fuck?
7/30/10 3:50 PM
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhymenoceros - Wait, they concluded that he wasn't the rapist, then decided to keep him in jail an extra day because he was angry? The fuck?

Probably for his own good - if he came out swinging at the Corrections Officers he would certainly not be innocent of those charges.
7/30/10 3:59 PM
RRKore

Rory Singer - He will most certainly not see a dime. He was found guilty by a jury of his "peers". Unfortunately the type of DNA testing used today wasn't widely used that long ago and definitely not with the same type of accuracy. It's is most unfortunate because a lot these cases have come up recently.

WTF? I call bullshit.

It makes no sense that the state would be able to just say "Well, we made an honest mistake so you will not receive a dime of restitution." Not even in Texas.

Google tells me that there are many cases where folks who were wrongfully imprisoned for years sue and get big money. In this particular case, I'm reading that he'll probably get something like $80,000 for each year he was incarcerated. Well deserved, imo.
7/30/10 4:02 PM
Slowshot
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/30/10 4:02 PM
Meohfumado
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RRKore - 
Rory Singer - He will most certainly not see a dime. He was found guilty by a jury of his "peers". Unfortunately the type of DNA testing used today wasn't widely used that long ago and definitely not with the same type of accuracy. It's is most unfortunate because a lot these cases have come up recently.

WTF? I call bullshit.

It makes no sense that the state would be able to just say "Well, we made an honest mistake so you will not receive a dime of restitution." Not even in Texas.

Google tells me that there are many cases where folks who were wrongfully imprisoned for years sue and get big money. In this particular case, I'm reading that he'll probably get something like $80,000 for each year he was incarcerated. Well deserved, imo.

Do they award you more money if you got your shit pushed in while inside?
7/30/10 4:06 PM
pharochuck
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meohfumado - 
RRKore - 

WTF? I call bullshit.

which is quite possible. guy comes in has no connections and is a 'convicted rapist' considered as low as child molesters in prison. literally you are a walking target everyday of those years

7/30/10 4:08 PM
David@AccutestMi

Edited: 07/30/10 4:09 PM

The state carries out the sentence. Which is where the responsibility falls. The jury only presents a finding.
7/30/10 4:09 PM
DirkH
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 
Rhymenoceros - Wait, they concluded that he wasn't the rapist, then decided to keep him in jail an extra day because he was angry? The fuck?

Probably for his own good - if he came out swinging at the Corrections Officers he would certainly not be innocent of those charges.

Yes, he'd be guilty, they could just take it off the 27 years they owe him.

The cops there clearly had nothing to do with it, but were I a cop who got punched in the mouth by an innocent man who did 27 years, I'm not sure I would press charges. Hit him back yes. Now if I was injured, that's a little different, but only a little.
7/30/10 4:09 PM
Meohfumado
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pharochuck - 
Meohfumado - 
RRKore - 

WTF? I call bullshit.

which is quite possible. guy comes in has no connections and is a 'convicted rapist' considered as low as child molesters in prison. literally you are a walking target everyday of those years

Seriously. Not only was your freedom stolen from you, you were tortured regularly.

I gotta say I'd be like BWS and be thinking about some medieval-type vengeance....but maybe after 27 years he's just happy to be outside.
7/30/10 4:10 PM
pharochuck
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this ones even shittier in my opinion, this guy sat for six more years after the dna came back
• Allen Wayne Porter:
Released last Friday after serving 19 years for a June 1980 rape conviction. Though DNA testing appeared to clear him in 2004, it was not until last week that a judge ordered him freed after those who committed the crime testified Porter was not involved.
7/30/10 4:24 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DA's don't necessarily care about the innocence of guilt of the defendant, they want to win the case. 
7/30/10 4:27 PM
donkypunch55
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn. glad i didn't start that thread bitching about how bad my week was...
7/30/10 5:12 PM
notsobigmike
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RRKore - 

WTF? I call bullshit.

Agreed. That comes out to just over 2 million, which I guess is fair. You should definitely be set up such that you never have to work again the rest of your life.
7/30/10 5:25 PM
Freeman
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he is getting $80K per year, or about $2 million - which obviously can't really make up for time lost but it's a lot better than some states.

In WI I believe you can't get more than $25K no matter how long you were wrongfully imprisoned! I'd be so unbelievably pissed if I was stuck rotting in prison for 20-30 years and all I got was $25,000!
7/30/10 5:56 PM
villageidiot

What's the law that you can't be charged twice for the same crime? double jeapordy?
does he get to legally rape the woman now?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.