UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> ronda rousey mma debut

8/18/10 8:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched some of Penny Thomas's matches on youtube and her opponents are no way near the world class grappler Rhoda is. That being said she is BJJ BB from South Africa with many competition wins. Should be interesting.
8/18/10 1:52 PM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@Judoblackbelt...true...Penny better be training Judo because Rhonda will be unlike any bjj girl she has ever fought....BJJ fighters, generally, are pretty easy going.... it is all about flowing looking for openings on the ground....Judo players on the other hand grip you and want to end the fight in dramatic fashion....add to the fact that Rhonda is world class on the ground....Among some BJJ players their is this assumption that all Judo players can do is throw and pin...well...elite Judo players have a very strong ground game, different than BJJ, but equally as effective....Personally I think Rhonda will have a very easy time with Penny Thomas...
8/18/10 7:54 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 Just wanted to update that  the www.immae.tv  website is now saying that the expo will be held this weekend at Canyon High School in Anaheim.  The Best of the West grappling tournament and the Sumo Open are going with them to Canyon High School.
8/18/10 8:10 PM
tournament

Hey, good luck Rhonda and Go Hayastan. I meet her at Gokor's Grand Opening, She has excellent Judo!
8/19/10 8:35 AM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To leothelion, agree, plus Rhonda as excellent transition judo(world class players do)to armbars especially. What would make this fight interesting is if Rhonda ends up in top guard.
8/25/10 7:02 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

penny could did not sign she was busy, so ronda has another fight this weekend (8-28-10) at knotts berry farm resort and hotel at 5:30pm. as soon i get more info i will post it, right now her opponent is some girl from team quest
1/21/11 1:58 AM
NOEL1973

How Good is Ronda anyway?
1/21/11 7:08 AM
judoblackbelt

If you have to ask that question you don't belong on the judo forum. You can research your question yourself and if you have grappling experience you can objectively evaluate her skills and how they would translate into BJJ/ NO go grappling. She has the potential to be the best female grappler if she chooses. We have been told the $$$ is in mma for her. She has all the medals in grappling from judo.
1/21/11 10:12 AM
NOEL1973

Judoblackbelt-
I am sure I could Tap her out very EASY
1/21/11 12:19 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NOEL1973 - Judoblackbelt-
I am sure I could Tap her out very EASY

You are a stupid person. If you want play go buy some toys and lock yourself in the bath. You need to stay off this thread.
1/22/11 12:09 AM
NOEL1973

Why because I think I can Tap Her Out?
1/22/11 12:22 AM
Missing Glove Tape

judoblackbelt - If you have to ask that question you don't belong on the judo forum.

LOL. This!
1/22/11 1:03 AM
gbutts

NOEL1973 - Why because I think I can Tap Her Out?

no because your live in a fantasy world.
1/22/11 1:22 AM
gbutts

allcloser - If you are a dude, maybe you can.
If you are a chick, highly unlikely. Which one are you?

Funny you should say that, a female bjj blackbelt came to the center a couple of weeks ago and rolled ten minutes with ronda during our competiton roll session(that's when go at about 75 to 90%). The bjj women tap 17 times in a ten minute roll. I ask her to show us something and we all learn something. After class I talk to her and she had no idea who ronda was and she kept saying how come ronda doesn't compete in bjj tournaments she would win easily. People like Noel are just stupid they don't wont learn and train they just won't to fantasize about being good. Even though i believe Ronda would destoy Penny if she came down to our center we would ask her to teach us something because everyone at that level has something to offer. Noel needs to grow-up and put his toys away.
1/22/11 8:33 AM
BJJWorkouts
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/11 8:34 AM
BJJ-Workouts: Training Tips for BJJ, Owner
 Penny's stand-up grappling is fair at best. Can't embed for some reason. 

Penny at Grapplers Quest.
1/22/11 8:36 AM
BJJWorkouts
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leothelion -  @Judoblackbelt...true...Penny better be training Judo because Rhonda will be unlike any bjj girl she has ever fought....BJJ fighters, generally, are pretty easy going.... it is all about flowing looking for openings on the ground....Judo players on the other hand grip you and want to end the fight in dramatic fashion....add to the fact that Rhonda is world class on the ground....Among some BJJ players their is this assumption that all Judo players can do is throw and pin...well...elite Judo players have a very strong ground game, different than BJJ, but equally as effective....Personally I think Rhonda will have a very easy time with Penny Thomas...

Me too.
1/22/11 8:59 AM
judoblackbelt

BJJ workouts: I watched the video and the standup is not even US Senior Nationals level judo. The experience and toughness world class judo athletes develope puts them in elite grappling company. I can think of possible a world class female wrestler that could give Rhonda a good grappling fight. The only chance a BJJ er could win if they catch her from bottom guard with a arm lock. But they would have to survive the throw and transition. Probably the best strategy would be to butt scoot and pull guard.
1/22/11 10:55 AM
BJJWorkouts

Yeah, it's horrible. 

Here's another video of Ronda against a guard puller. The outcome is sweet.

Ronda Hip Throw

1/22/11 10:56 AM
BJJWorkouts

And another.

Ronda- Hip Throw-armlock
1/22/11 10:58 AM
BJJWorkouts

Ronda working on her wrestling
1/22/11 12:09 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is pretty disrespectful to even compare a current Olympic medalist in Judo to what is basically some amateur athlete: Penny Thomas, Hillary Williams, even Kyra Gracie, are basically amateur athletes.

I still remember Kyra's claims to represent Brazil in the next Olympics in Judo --- that idea ended pretty fast. Indeed: this is not a tournament where you have 4 amateurs in the weight class and 3 of them were cooks in some restaurant until last year, or something.
1/22/11 2:17 PM
Missing Glove Tape

I think it's disrespectful to call Penny and Kyra amateurs considering their accomplishments in their sport. They're at the top of bjj heap, too, and they train/compete full-time just like other professionals. That said, there's really no comparing the talent pool/level of play to judo. Women's bjj/grappling hasn't been around nearly long enough nor does it draw from as large an athlete base, so it's not surprising that Ronda wrecks people and/or Kyra gave up her olympic dream. ;)
1/22/11 2:45 PM
NOEL1973

LOL I am sure Ronda is Great but calling Her The BEST I just dont buy it Do I think I could Beat her Yes I am Bigger than her,But Penny and KYRA have Won many Tournaments
I would Love to see Ronda beat the Top Names first before we call her the Best
1/22/11 5:32 PM
Missing Glove Tape

What happened to allcloser's posts?
1/22/11 7:10 PM
judoblackbelt

When I compare Ronda's judo competitions with her grappling competitions there is none. None of us are saying she is the best grappler or are against the top female BJJers. Ronda has nothing to prove in grappling and according to G. Butts has her focus on MMA were the $$$ are. Making the switch to judo from BJJ would be tough for any BJJer male or female especially at the Olympic level. You are continously competing against the best judo players from around the world.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.