UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Joe Stevenson- No Insurance Goes to Tijuana 4 care

8/3/10 6:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frontrowbrian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/10 7:09 AM

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20140/without-insurance-ufcs-joe-stevenson-heads-to-mexico-wants-takanori-gomi-fight.mma

Refused to pay $500 premium a month.

At least he didn't go to the ER without insurance and jack up me and everyone else's premium

Here is Stevenson's pay from Feb 2009 to Feb 2010

--UFC 95 - $35,000 to show + $40,000 FOTN = $75,000

--TUF 9 Finale - $35,000 Show + $35,000 Win + $25,000 FOTN = $95,000 

--UFC 104 - $47,000 Show + $47,000 Win = $94,000 

--UFC 110 - $47,000 Show + $50,000 FOTN - $97,000 

Total Gross Pay:  $361,000 in ONE YEAR!

That's not even counting sponsors which would pay good since UFC 95 was main event on Spike, the Diaz fight was on Spike, UFC 104 was main card PPV, and UFC 110 was main card PPV.

8/3/10 7:13 AM
FCM

Maybe Joe went shopping while he was down there.Shits dirt cheap...
8/3/10 7:25 AM
frontrowbrian

I assume this required significant investment that won't be made back for several years but to balk at $6,000 a year medical premium and go to TJ for care sounds crazy. Especially for a pro athlete who needs his/her body to work to get paid.
8/3/10 7:31 AM
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Given what he does for a living, and how much he made last year, not paying the $6000.00 (1.6% of his gross income) for health insurance doesn't seem like a wise career nor life decision, actually borders on irresponsible. Joe, protect your self for both your career and family's sake.
8/3/10 7:44 AM
keiths
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and he has children. since we are all up in his personal business i wonder what they are covered with?
8/3/10 7:44 AM
StephenL

maybe he's shopping for Juan Manuel Marquez urine.

stephen
8/3/10 8:31 AM
Massa
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Move to Canada.

I thought the US was getting universal health care?
8/3/10 8:36 AM
The Elastic Assassin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refused to pay $500 premium a month.

stopped reading right there.....end the pity party this guy is a fucking idiot....
8/3/10 9:20 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grouchy -

I pay 30 bucks a month for great health care. Use the internet. People are fuckin lazy and weak minded. I dont need a government to help me with anything

Help a brotha out... insanelycheapmedicalinsurancethatpeoplewillactuallytake.com didn't load for me.
8/3/10 9:21 AM
Sprawl 68

Man if he thinks 500/mo is tough then he should look at my private medical insurance. I pay three times that a month.

The Mexican immigrants are coming here illegally and getting health care basically for free, but Joe goes down there to get his at a discount. Oh the ironing!
8/3/10 9:26 AM
jdindiana
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I felt bad for the guy until I saw how much he made not including sponderships and appearances/seminars. He could have afforded coveraged with that kind of cash flow.
8/3/10 9:31 AM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is everyone on him? If he wants to go to MExico and look to his own medical care, so be it. I would like to think, if his kids had some problem/emergency, he would simply go to a local place for medical care and pay out of pocket.

His choice, I dont see why, unless he were to need some sort of advanced reconstruction/corrective surgery he cant go to mexico and get the basics covered.
8/3/10 10:29 AM
frontrowbrian

WhereisurkaratenowPLAYBOY - 
keiths - and he has children. since we are all up in his personal business i wonder what they are covered with?

That's what I was thinking. When did his insurance premium become our business? I don't understand why ppl cannot just watch fighters fight without prying so deep into their personal business..BEEEP!
Nobody asked him to share his medical information. Joe told MMA Junkie.

8/3/10 10:34 AM
nostripewhite

Joe's been having a bad enough time to ignore possible medical issues.
8/3/10 10:37 AM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep the worst thing to do when you have medical insurance is actually go to the doctor. I've had health issues but nothing major over the last 4 years and my insurance has quadrupled. It makes me not want to go to the doctor for fairly routine stuff which sucks.
8/3/10 11:06 AM
epwar
605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm kind of shocked the UFC doesn't have some kind of insurance program, billion dollar company and all.
8/3/10 11:15 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
epwar - I'm kind of shocked the UFC doesn't have some kind of insurance program, billion dollar company and all.

I'm sure UFC has an insurance program for employees.  Fighters are independent contractors, not employees.  I've never come across a company that provides health insurance to independent contractors.
8/3/10 11:15 AM
occmsrazr

fuck those guys need a fucking union.
8/3/10 11:19 AM
frontrowbrian

occmsrazr - fuck those guys need a fucking union.
More like Stevenson has to do a better job of prioritizing his expenditures. He's got expenses to make the money he did in 2009/10 but to not have $6,000 to pay for insurance is just irresponsible. What he did was gamble... and he lost and ended up in TJ. I wouldn't buy a pack of gum in TJ... nevermind get medical care

8/3/10 11:21 AM
Rappy Gilmore

occmsrazr - fuck those guys need a fucking union.
How do you come to that conclusion by reading this thread?

8/3/10 11:21 AM
SlapUsilly
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ 30 dollars a month for great insurance.

Who cares what Joe S does with himself... In case anyone forgot, you DON'T need medical insurance to actually stay alive. Plenty (most) of people in the US/world actually live their whole lives without major surgeries..etc.
Hell, people that are in their eighties right now in the US lived their whole lives with a shitty medical/hygene system than we have now.

And there are great doctors in Tijuana that cost a tenth of what his insurance premium alone would be here in the US.

8/3/10 11:30 AM
frontrowbrian

SlapUsilly - 
And there are great doctors in Tijuana that cost a tenth of what his insurance premium alone would be here in the US.

yeah.. many highly qualified doctors go to TJ. Great place to practice medicine. LOL

Dude, it's fuckin TJ!
8/3/10 11:38 AM
Forssberg

There has to be a way to set up these kinds of expenses (health insurance, training costs, equipment, etc) as tax deductibles?
8/3/10 11:39 AM
frontrowbrian

Forssberg - There has to be a way to set up these kinds of expenses (health insurance, training costs, equipment, etc) as tax deductibles?
they're all tax deductible

8/3/10 11:40 AM
nostripewhite

It's his choice, but it's a dumb choice to make. He wants to save a couple of mortgage payments, so he'll just hope nothing too bad happens.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.