UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> My daughter's judo tournament

8/5/10 11:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw that other really cool "kids in bjj" so I thought I would throw mine on here. My daughter is tiny. 9 years old. She started judo at 5 and didn't like it but I told her she was going once a week for an hour until she was 16 :-)

She was very claustrophic with pins but over time, she got really good friends, and slowly got better. I do some bjj with her and she is getting better. She did a couple of tournaments and totally froze under the pressure.

She decided to do the AAU Nationals in Kearney and took Silver! she was relaxed, and during the match I caught her smiling real big often. I was so proud. I was proud that she stepped on the mat, she did her best, and she had a good time! That's what was important to me at her age.

anyway, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7FInAqsf0
8/6/10 1:09 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can tell she has experience and some swagger. She stays aggressives and nice seonage(s) and the final (nidan) osoto. Her tate shiho gatame pin will work better if she grapevines her legs around the opponents legs (above the knees) and puts her weight down on uke's chest/face. Multiple ways to utilize the arms. my favorite is go in back of uke's head and grab my own collar, use the other hand for balance.
8/6/10 11:36 PM
the rooster

Thanks guys. I smiled when you said she had swagger and was aggressive. She was so timid, passive and was panic and could barely breath when she was pressed hard or pinned. That's cool. That's a lot of growth.

Yes, she will need to continue to grow her newaza but I'm just happy she wasn't slammed in 5 seconds like her first couple of tournaments. She's really turned the corner.

Have another one this weekend. I'll let you know how her and my son do. They really enjoy it.
8/8/10 2:45 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

=)
8/11/10 12:22 AM
the rooster

well, i'm officially a judo dad! We did the ISJA "cure for juvenile diabetes" in Olathe KS.

My 9 year old daughter lost both her matches (double elimination). :-(

She was in both fights and I thought she would pin (the same) opponent her first match. She ended up losing by ippon. It was sort of weird though because they were rotating refs and the lady who judged was calling weak ippons (IMO) throughout the tournament. She called some were kids landed on their butt and elbows and didn't even hit flat on their back??

Her second match she lost to kesa gatam. I don't know why she gets caught in that hold a lot. A nemesis move against her! I have tried to teach her a number of escapes but it's not working :-)

My 6 year old son had 5 matches!! :-) He won his first, lost his 2nd, (freaked when he found out if he lost anymore he was out), won his 3rd, beat the kids who beat him originally and then lost to him in the finals by points!

whew! 5 matches and 3 pins! I was proud but he cried :-)

He was thrown off by no double's or singles (been wrestling too) and kind of revealed that he needs to practice his throws more.

All in all, they had fun, one more tournament under their belt. Jitters for daughter going a way and they are learning how to win and lose, have success and fight through losses. All very good stuff!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.