UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> High School Judo

8/8/10 5:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, I must apologize that I didn't post this here already. I thought I had, but obviously failed to do so.

A few months ago I was hired to be the head wrestling coach at Estancia HS in Costa Mesa, CA. 2 weeks ago the wrestling team started their off-season program-- a little something I like to call the Estancia HS Judo Team.

They are training 5 days a week for 4 hours; 2 of strength and conditioning and 2 of Judo. We are working on getting everybody a judogi, but school budgets are not exactly rolling in finds these days so with the donations I have been able to scrape up we are slowly getting everybody geared up. All the same, with or without a gi, they are learning solid, technical Judo and getting fairly decent at it. Those that wish to will compete in Judo tournaments outside of wrestling season and hopefully see Judo as an opportunity to go to schools like SJSU, Texas A&M, CO School of Mines, West Point, etc...

So far they have covered the basics of ukemi, osaekomi and several throws and turnovers... I wouldn't be shocked if many of them are able to compete by Halloween.

If anybody is interested in trying to start something at their local school, let me know and I will fill you in on all the details... I hope that by doing this I can get other Judokas around the USA to do something similar, or the same, at a local HS... This way we can put a dent in the horrible losses we see among teens in Judo and start showing them just what real Judo is like.
8/8/10 8:41 PM
Chocolate Shatner
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Josh, have you thought of having a series of "practice gis", for those who can't afford gis themselves? Have all your players wear shorts and t-shirts (long sleeved if possible), and then a series of gi tops could be bought, that players could pass around during practice for randori rounds, etc.

It might be a starting place, to be slowly added to as you get money raised, donations, etc.
8/8/10 11:31 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CS.... I have been able to get in about 10 gi's from donations and have given those to 10 kids. The others know that they will get gi's as I get more in... It is hard to get small gi's though, like 2's and 2.5's...

Each kid is responsible for his gi. If it is ruined, then he will have to replace it. These are good kids, they take care of things and appreciate what people do for them. Heck, they even say "thank you" to me after practice when they are dying.
8/9/10 3:56 AM
Chocolate Shatner
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh, cool man.

I just know that my high school had two industrial sized washers that were used by the teams on a regular basis. While maybe not the kindest to fabrics, it got my football duds clean for four years.
8/9/10 2:21 PM
ChangoBravo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am very interested in this.

Chango
8/14/10 5:38 PM
Empire
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't have formal judo training, but im interested.

and im always stoked when i see judoka during a wrestling match...
8/14/10 7:15 PM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/14/10 7:26 PM
 @JoshuaResnick....I think it would be great to have Judo in High schools here in San Antonio...There are two great coaches and clubs here as well....the problem as I see it is the same reason that wrestling is not more prominent here...the emphasis on Football....the high school football coaches (who seem to control everything regarding high school athletics), I was told anecdotally, don't like their players participating in wrestling because they seem to lose too much weight...silly I know....I think if the coaches would give Judo a try in the offseason they would discover that the result would be players with freakish strength who are adept at controling their space on the line.... For the time being, I am satisfied with developing my son as a judoka and football player...and when he get's to high school wrestling too... He will have more options when it comes time to choose his sport in college...I have had a number of parents on his pee wee football team approach me regarding Judo in the off season... My son's judo coach has recently led  judo training sessions for local high school football teams as well...we will see what the future brings 
8/15/10 1:11 AM
JoshuaResnick

i think it is a rather odd situation.. judo really preaches education as one of the tennants, yet (as much as many people who "love" judo claim to adhere to those tennants) there are very, very few judokas who teach at the HS level...

and, even of those few who do, the vast majority of them want/have nothing to do with their school's wrestling programs. i find this really, really odd. almost everybody i know who is a national-level-plus judoka from the USA also wrestled in HS, yet none of them go back to coach and introduce Judo to future generations... they almost all go to some small YMCA club and just settle back into "whateverness" when instead they could be drilling and killing judo into HS kids who are foaming at the mouth for it.
8/15/10 1:15 AM
JoshuaResnick

also... we just created our fundraiser lists.. pretty good stuff i think. we are going to host a series of video game tournaments for the student body-- $25 to enter and that includes soda, chips, pizza... we will have cups for 1st place and are looking at getting stores like Game Stop or Best Buy to participate by donating gift cards or something to the top-3...

so far the games are Call of Duty, Madden 2011, Guitar Hero, HALO....

We are also planning on a New Year's Eve lock-in Dance/Event... With any luck it will provide a safe, fun way for teens to spend their night when they could otherwise be doing who knows what and risking so much.
8/16/10 11:32 AM
khd29

JR-

I would like to donate some of my judo books (Masterclass, Syd H.'s A-Z, Kodokan Judo, Training of Elite Athletes, BJJ..) It's somewhere in my apt and have to dig it out.
Maybe add to fundraiser as prizes?

Send me an e-mail, if interested: khd_29@hotmail.com

8/17/10 6:02 PM
JoshuaResnick

i apprecaite it.. i will hand them out to the kids who get the most people to participate in our fund raisers. =)
8/23/10 2:28 AM
JoshuaResnick

this past weekend i took several of my young men to the Golden State E-Level event to watch and gain an understanding of what Judo is as a competitive sport. I do not believe in entering anything competitive while being ignorant about what it will be like.

they were amazed at the speed of judo compared to wrestling. the fact that a match really can end in an instant, and that you can miss it if you look away for a split second, kept them entertained all day. they were shocked that the very techniques they have been learning since June 28 really are the same techniques that win at aa advanced level.

they found some of the rules confusing... but liked that penalties were given out quickly when people were stalling or running away... often in wrestling penalties are almost never given for such things.

they left the tournament extrememly excited and wanting more and more to train in Judo... A few of them even said that they already liked Judo more than wrestling, eventhough they have just began. One of my seniors already wants to go to SJSU, no matter what.

You see, Judo can be contagious, if you introduce the right people to it in a way that appeals to them.
8/23/10 2:59 PM
leothelion

Edited: 08/23/10 3:00 PM
 @ JoshuaResnick...LOL...Interesting.... My church pastor, who wrestled in college in the 1950's, came to one of my son's Judo tournaments....he too was surprised by how quick the matches ended ( particularly my son's matches...his matches often consist of ...bow-grip- slam...My son does'nt waste alot of time feeling out his opponents :-D )...My pastor complained that he turned his head and the match was over....Judo can be very exciting ... alot of slamming with high amplitude throws...So many wrestlers think that Judo was like the TKD they studied as young children....Daycare with alot of punching of Air...when they see Judo in a tournament setting they are hooked...
9/6/10 3:05 AM
jimmyok

This sounds like a great program.
9/13/10 8:02 PM
Osaekomi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Total potency Josh!
9/16/10 11:23 PM
JoshuaResnick

Today the program was given a wodnerful gift.... $750 donation from a family friend of one of the team members.

It is amazing what strong community support can mean to a program like this.
9/17/10 2:33 AM
Chocolate Shatner

Josh congrats. While I will always have my gripes with the new rules of judo, I'm glad to see that you're getting a program going underway and it seems successfully.

Question about your teaching practices. When you teach the team, do you focus on "IJF shiai" judo, or a more "complete" judo, with at least familiarization with some of the now banned techniques? I ask, because it would seem that the crossover value of training them would be enormous. After all, if someone can hit a double leg when wearing a gi and countering those grips, they'll have no trouble at all in a normal wrestling match.
9/17/10 6:43 PM
JoshuaResnick

CS... I teach them Judo as I know it. I am not teaching them kami-basami, sode, and armlocks and chokes as they are beginners.

doing a morote gari in judo is not the same as a double-leg in wrestling... gi or not there are differences in the posture of the opponents and being good at it with a gi does not mean one is good at it without unless the adaptations can be made.

i see it as an issue of mat-time.. the more they are on the mat and training the more they can do in tournaments and the more they can travel and experience something awesome.
9/17/10 10:35 PM
Chocolate Shatner

Josh, I will definitely agree on being safe with your introductions, however I would say there is some carry over of techniques such as morote, ura nage, kata garuma, etc. But I do agree that the more mat time, the better. I was wondering if you were training them in more than just IJF style. Sounds like you are.

It'd be interesting to see what your boys could do in about 4-6 months at a BJJ/sub tournament, after you've taught them basic defenses for chokes and arm bars, etc. Probably house the beginner/white belt divisions.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.