UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Where in Michigan can I learn how to wrestle?

8/8/10 6:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
uchoo786
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys

I grew up in Southern Africa where they had no Wrestling in high school, so I really missed out. I really want to learn Freestyle wrestling, but I have no idea where I can, I'm done with high school, and I'm sure my University's wrestling team won't let me train with them lol, so do you guys know what a good place in Michigan would be to learn wrestling?

Thanks
8/8/10 8:51 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See if your university has a wrestling club or intermurals. That is the best I can do.
8/8/10 11:06 PM
uchoo786

SuperMannyFraker - See if your university has a wrestling club or intermurals. That is the best I can do.

Thanks SuperMannyFraker, yeah I'm going to join club Wrestling at my university, but i'm a senior and I want to be able to do it after I've graduated.
8/9/10 4:37 PM
HoudiniJJ

We dont do Freestyle Wrestling specifically but we do teach brazilian jiu jitsu which has many components and a foundation in wrestling.
8/9/10 5:35 PM
SpacemanSpiff

There are a bunch of board members with strong wrestling credentials.

To name a few;
Dom Ogrady
Eric Moon
Daren Cruickshank

It would help if we knew your general area so we can point you in the right direction.

I'm sure I missed some, so no letters to the editor. Just post their names. :)

8/9/10 10:22 PM
uchoo786

HoudiniJJ -  We dont do Freestyle Wrestling specifically but we do teach brazilian jiu jitsu which has many components and a foundation in wrestling.

Nice, I really like the way wrestlers control fights, they are awesome at take downs and td defense, so if I can learn that with BJJ, awesome :)
8/9/10 10:23 PM
uchoo786

SpacemanSpiff - There are a bunch of board members with strong wrestling credentials.

To name a few;
Dom Ogrady
Eric Moon
Daren Cruickshank

It would help if we knew your general area so we can point you in the right direction.

I'm sure I missed some, so no letters to the editor. Just post their names. :)

Great! That would be awesome if I could get to train with some good wrestlers.

I am around the Ann Arbor area, specifically Canton. Thanks a lot for the help SpacemanSpiff, really appreciate it :)
8/10/10 9:05 AM
Samuraidog

I agree with the earlier poster in that Brazilian jiu jitsu is by far your best option. You can get a great workout and establish a ground game on par with wrestlers. Another great thing about BJJ is that it is versatile enough of a martial art that it will allow you to train even as you grow older. There are some great resources for BJJ in the area.
8/10/10 9:31 AM
SpacemanSpiff

I love it, every time someone asks about anything it turns into a BJJ commercial. :)

8/10/10 12:32 PM
StephenL

Samuraidog -  Another great thing about BJJ is that it is versatile enough of a martial art that it will allow you to train even as you grow older.

i disagree. boxing and kickboxing are nicer to the body than bjj.

stephen
8/10/10 2:02 PM
uchoo786

Samuraidog - I agree with the earlier poster in that Brazilian jiu jitsu is by far your best option. You can get a great workout and establish a ground game on par with wrestlers. Another great thing about BJJ is that it is versatile enough of a martial art that it will allow you to train even as you grow older. There are some great resources for BJJ in the area.

Yeah BJJ is pretty good, but there are a couple of reasons i really want to do wrestling first.

1. I'm just a college student, I don't really have much time right now to do more than 1 martial art.
2. BJJ seems like its everywhere, and in the future if I want to take up BJJ I can, but it seems like I won't be able to learn wrestling outside of college at the moment.
3. BJJ seems like its awesome for submissions and fighting on the ground, but from what I've noticed that BJJ fighters don't really have the best Td Defense or Td's.

So yeah I definitely want to learn BJJ in the future, but right now I'm looking to learn how to wrestle.
8/10/10 2:07 PM
Samuraidog

uchoo786 - 
Samuraidog - I agree with the earlier poster in that Brazilian jiu jitsu is by far your best option. You can get a great workout and establish a ground game on par with wrestlers. Another great thing about BJJ is that it is versatile enough of a martial art that it will allow you to train even as you grow older. There are some great resources for BJJ in the area.

Yeah BJJ is pretty good, but there are a couple of reasons i really want to do wrestling first.

1. I'm just a college student, I don't really have much time right now to do more than 1 martial art.
2. BJJ seems like its everywhere, and in the future if I want to take up BJJ I can, but it seems like I won't be able to learn wrestling outside of college at the moment.
3. BJJ seems like its awesome for submissions and fighting on the ground, but from what I've noticed that BJJ fighters don't really have the best Td Defense or Td's.

So yeah I definitely want to learn BJJ in the future, but right now I'm looking to learn how to wrestle.

That's cool. Good luck.
8/10/10 4:47 PM
anthonyMI
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do Judo.
8/10/10 11:42 PM
uchoo786

Samuraidog -

That's cool. Good luck.

Thanks
8/10/10 11:43 PM
uchoo786

anthonyMI - Do Judo.

lol i feel the same way about Judo as I did BJJ, there are many schools around me where I can learn Judo, not so many where I can learn Wrestling, and I may be wrong, but it seems like wrestlers are the best at take downs and take down defense.
8/11/10 12:30 AM
anthonyMI
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That has more to do with the fact that wrestlers are typically more serious than Judoka, at least in Michigan. A Judoka will be working on takedowns a majority of the time. Then there is the gi vs. no-gi thing.

If your school or a school nearby doesn't have a club team, there aren't many options.
8/11/10 11:15 AM
Beeza
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

East West in Canton has a no gi class, on wednesdays, that includes wrestling....but, from the OP's original post, I think he is looking for a more complete program. There's a modern arnis class on fridays, but, I have not taken that class.
8/11/10 1:59 PM
StephenL

you can check for "wrestling" on craigs list.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/

filled with mainly WWE products, and a couple meetup groups, but you DO NOT want to look in the personals section.

stephen
8/11/10 9:02 PM
Beeza
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beeza -  East West in Canton has a no gi class, on wednesdays, that includes wrestling....but, from the OP's original post, I think he is looking for a more complete program. There's a modern arnis class on fridays, but, I have not taken that class.

Oops, the modern arnis class was going on at the same time as the no gi class, and, they were practicing with escrima sticks, so....ummm, forget what I posted.
8/12/10 5:46 AM
Train Judo

The question I have is, why at your age would you want to learn wrestling? You're not ever going to the olympics. At best youd have a couple prime years left to compete in which you could actually be competitive and lets face it, you'd get absolutely fucking mauled by wrestling lifers who knew at 7years old how to do what you are just now learning...Where does learning it lead then? Wrestling teaches bad habits for self defense purposes...IT IS A SPORT, NOT A MARTIAL ART. NOBODY TEACHES WRESTLING FOR SELF DEFENSE unless its submission wrestling, bjj, judo or the like..You will never in your life take a self defense freestyle wrestling class..

What is the point then?

I agree with the others here..learn submission wrestling, judo or bjj, they are grappling based martial arts (and sports) and allow you to finish a fight..finishing is the goal in a martial art...Freestyle wrestling is just a sport with nothing in it that ends a fight other than lucky throws which might ko someone or I guss you could lay on someone for the 50 year pin..
8/13/10 12:16 AM
uchoo786

Train Judo - The question I have is, why at your age would you want to learn wrestling? You're not ever going to the olympics. At best youd have a couple prime years left to compete in which you could actually be competitive and lets face it, you'd get absolutely fucking mauled by wrestling lifers who knew at 7years old how to do what you are just now learning...Where does learning it lead then? Wrestling teaches bad habits for self defense purposes...IT IS A SPORT, NOT A MARTIAL ART. NOBODY TEACHES WRESTLING FOR SELF DEFENSE unless its submission wrestling, bjj, judo or the like..You will never in your life take a self defense freestyle wrestling class..

What is the point then?

I agree with the others here..learn submission wrestling, judo or bjj, they are grappling based martial arts (and sports) and allow you to finish a fight..finishing is the goal in a martial art...Freestyle wrestling is just a sport with nothing in it that ends a fight other than lucky throws which might ko someone or I guss you could lay on someone for the 50 year pin..

Don't worry, I am not delusional. I don't think I will become a world class wrestler this late in my life, I just want to learn it because I have always watched it and enjoyed it, but growing up in Southern Africa I never got the opportunity to learn it. Now I finally do have the opportunity, and want to jump on it before its too late, and I end up regretting it.

Like I said above, I will learn submission wrestling and judo, and bjj in the future. These disciplines are highly accessible to me, but wrestling is not.
8/13/10 12:17 AM
uchoo786

Beeza - 
Beeza -  East West in Canton has a no gi class, on wednesdays, that includes wrestling....but, from the OP's original post, I think he is looking for a more complete program. There's a modern arnis class on fridays, but, I have not taken that class.

Oops, the modern arnis class was going on at the same time as the no gi class, and, they were practicing with escrima sticks, so....ummm, forget what I posted.

Nice! This actually seems like a good option, its like 5 minutes away from where I live, and they have some really good pricing options, thanks!
8/13/10 12:18 AM
uchoo786

StephenL - you can check for "wrestling" on craigs list.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/

filled with mainly WWE products, and a couple meetup groups, but you DO NOT want to look in the personals section.

stephen

Thanks Stephen, this actually seems like one of my best options once I'm done with uni.
8/16/10 11:05 PM
PAC MAN

Train Judo - The question I have is, why at your age would you want to learn wrestling? You're not ever going to the olympics. At best youd have a couple prime years left to compete in which you could actually be competitive and lets face it, you'd get absolutely fucking mauled by wrestling lifers who knew at 7years old how to do what you are just now learning...Where does learning it lead then? Wrestling teaches bad habits for self defense purposes...IT IS A SPORT, NOT A MARTIAL ART. NOBODY TEACHES WRESTLING FOR SELF DEFENSE unless its submission wrestling, bjj, judo or the like..You will never in your life take a self defense freestyle wrestling class..

What is the point then?

for once i agree with u
10/22/10 2:08 PM
AgedCaviar
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uchoo786 - 

What is the point then?

Don't worry, I am not delusional. I don't think I will become a world class wrestler this late in my life, I just want to learn it because I have always watched it and enjoyed it, but growing up in Southern Africa I never got the opportunity to learn it. Now I finally do have the opportunity, and want to jump on it before its too late, and I end up regretting it.

Like I said above, I will learn submission wrestling and judo, and bjj in the future. These disciplines are highly accessible to me, but wrestling is not.
You need a top down approach as opposed to bottom up. Wrestling is a youth sport. This is why you are having so much trouble finding a club for adults. I'd reccomend looking into Masaki Hatta's freestyl and greco classes assuming he's still doing them (check with Berkely and Hazel Park High Schools), but you'll be practicing with high school kids. What I would suggest is find a grappler i.e no-gi, BJJ, or judo/Sambo guy with a decent wrestling pedigree, and have this converstaion with him. Instead of starting with wrestling and working your way up...start with arts more readily available to you (BJJ, Judo,No-gi) and in learning and practicing the basics you will invariably meet an enthusiastic former all-sate wrestler who will be eager to teach you the fundamentals. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.