UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> IBJJF Black Belt registration s_cks!

8/15/10 3:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mad tiger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would I expect any other opinion from Jbarra? lol
Dude must have a Taz tat on his nutsack.
8/15/10 6:05 PM
TacFighter

If i'm not mistaken your BB "certified" under IBJJF cost the $400 for your first and second stripe -but then it's free after that? or do you still pay?
8/15/10 7:09 PM
Muffinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In regards to BJ, BJ competed as a Brown belt at Mundials the year prior to him winning as a black belt. According to his book, Why I Fight, he lost to Terere by an advantage.
8/15/10 7:56 PM
evangelico

Richard_SPBJJ - 
why, André_Pederneiras is a 5th dan now, he must have been a 2nd dan back in 2000

maybe he is referring to the 1 year that must be spent at brown belt before advancing to black belt. Not sure exactly how long BJ spent at brown belt though

yeah, that's what i meant, but i might have been wrong about that. i looked again at his book, the one Muffinho mentions, and now it's not clear if he was brown for a whole year or not.
8/16/10 12:48 AM
JSho
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/16/10 12:50 AM
evangelico - 
Richard_SPBJJ - 
why, André_Pederneiras is a 5th dan now, he must have been a 2nd dan back in 2000

maybe he is referring to the 1 year that must be spent at brown belt before advancing to black belt. Not sure exactly how long BJ spent at brown belt though

yeah, that's what i meant, but i might have been wrong about that. i looked again at his book, the one Muffinho mentions, and now it's not clear if he was brown for a whole year or not.
Paizao and Penha would have had even bigger problems.

mad tiger - would I expect any other opinion from Jbarra? lol Dude must have a Taz tat on his nutsack.
You must be mistaken, I'm not part of a Barra school.
8/16/10 2:39 AM
Team Python
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/16/10 3:18 AM
I just got my response back from them......it will cost me $400.00 to get my black belt certificate.
8/16/10 6:50 AM
JSho
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That seems an unjustifiably high amount. Didn't they give a whole bunch of US based instructors their certificates for free at the 2008 or 2009 mundials?
8/16/10 8:23 AM
AlliancePA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I was told. It is $400 if you are the black belt head instructor that wants your school/team recognized so that students can compete under you. You need to pay the same $400 (but also be 2nd degree or higher) to have black belts competing under your school or team. The fee for the ID card under an IBJJF/CBJJ/USBJJF certified school is $30.
8/16/10 10:34 AM
spider guard
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JSho - That seems an unjustifiably high amount. Didn't they give a whole bunch of US based instructors their certificates for free at the 2008 or 2009 mundials?

Yes they did. Just goes to show the attitude of the IBJJF. If you're cool with them, you get the advantages, if not, pay up or play elsewhere.
8/16/10 6:21 PM
redaxe

Hillary - It won't mean most American's won't compete, it's just forcing guys to affiliate with a bigger school when they won't necessarily need to otherwise.

Technically, I'm a black belt under Matt Hamilton and Roli Delgado. And only them. Cavaca and Renato Tavares backed it as friends and not as association.

When it came time to register for the CBJJ/IBJJF, Cyborg signed for my black belt because it requires a 2nd degree to vouch for you. But even at that, despite being the IBJJF Brown/Black middleweight World Nogi, Pan, and World Gi champion, I can't compete in the same division until next year. LOL.

Ridiculous. Have you tried contacting Carlos personally about this? It's a big enough issue that I think if you discussed it with him directly you could get him to realize how absurd it is.
8/16/10 6:27 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

why can't hillary just register as a brown for the rest of the year? it's called time in grade, judo has this too.

8/16/10 6:56 PM
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redaxe - 
Hillary - It won't mean most American's won't compete, it's just forcing guys to affiliate with a bigger school when they won't necessarily need to otherwise.

Technically, I'm a black belt under Matt Hamilton and Roli Delgado. And only them. Cavaca and Renato Tavares backed it as friends and not as association.

When it came time to register for the CBJJ/IBJJF, Cyborg signed for my black belt because it requires a 2nd degree to vouch for you. But even at that, despite being the IBJJF Brown/Black middleweight World Nogi, Pan, and World Gi champion, I can't compete in the same division until next year. LOL.

Ridiculous. Have you tried contacting Carlos personally about this? It's a big enough issue that I think if you discussed it with him directly you could get him to realize how absurd it is.

People have him convinced he's God. I could register and compete as a brown belt, but I'm not turning my back on my coaches and friends that backed my belt because some guy whose last name is Gracie thinks he can make stupid rules. Roli told me he didn't want me to take my black belt off, therefore I won't.
8/16/10 6:57 PM
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redaxe - 

It was our Holy Lord and Savior Carlinhos himself that barred me from competition.
8/16/10 8:29 PM
JSho

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - 

why can't hillary just register as a brown for the rest of the year? it's called time in grade, judo has this too.

for the women they need to get their brown belt signed off too since they have combined divisions.
8/16/10 8:31 PM
JSho

Edited: 08/16/10 8:32 PM
AlliancePA - From what I was told. It is $400 if you are the black belt head instructor that wants your school/team recognized so that students can compete under you. You need to pay the same $400 (but also be 2nd degree or higher) to have black belts competing under your school or team. The fee for the ID card under an IBJJF/CBJJ/USBJJF certified school is $30.

yes, based on this reply i got, it seems that black belt competitors themselves just need to pay the $30 for the id card, but the person who signs them off needs to have the $400 certififcate: 

The $400 fee is to get your black belt certificate.
If you just whant the membership ID to register and fight the IBJJF tournament the fee is $30, and you can ask the membership ID online by the link: http://www.usbjjf.org/member.htm

For your black belt certificate.

·Fill the Application Forms, signed by a IBJJF Certifies black belt with minimum 2 degrees;
·Copy of IBJJF referee certificate course;
·Copy of CPR course;
·Copy of Picture ID
·1 Color Photo; (by mail or e-mail)
·And the payment of the $400.00 fee. (can be paid by check or money order made to BJJ International) this fee includes the USBJJF black belt diploma, the IBJJF black belt diploma, the membership ID and academy registration for 2010.

Your information will be posted on the site www.usbjjf.org at the black belt athletes and registered academies list.
8/16/10 9:34 PM
JudoMike76

Hillary- Did Carlos give any explanation for why you are barred from competition for a year, aside from not being a brown belt for one year? Receiving a black belt for winning the mundials at the black belt level seems pretty reasonable to me regardless of how long you have been a black belt.
8/16/10 11:27 PM
ano8tsixxx

T T T
8/4/14 8:25 PM
os3y3ris

Edited: 08/04/14 8:26 PM
It won't mean most American's won't compete, it's just forcing guys to affiliate with a bigger school when they won't necessarily need to otherwise.

How much does affiliation typically cost?
8/4/14 8:28 PM
os3y3ris

Hillary - 
redaxe - 

It was our Holy Lord and Savior Carlinhos himself that barred me from competition.

Carlos Gracie Jr HIMSELF? What a shocking coincidence.
8/5/14 9:06 AM
RobertKipness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just admit you got the shaft from Vinny and not Jr.

Hillary's situation is totally different from yours and you know it.
8/5/14 9:36 AM
RocknRolla

carlos is god, he only rolls on mats with gold flakes.
8/5/14 10:55 AM
os3y3ris

Edited: 08/05/14 11:12 AM
Just admit you got the shaft from Vinny and not Jr.

Incorrect. Vinny signed off and had BTT sign off. Then he met with Carlos Gracie Jr to submit the paperwork. Carlos turned around and demanded 2k, Vinny participated. Why would I attack someone other than the guy who fucked me over?

http://imgur.com/ngDiZKj

Now, if Vinny simply tried to FRAME Carlos, then why is he still cool with Carlos?
8/5/14 11:21 AM
os3y3ris

Oh, who was that?

http://imgur.com/jowESBu
8/5/14 11:21 AM
os3y3ris

Oh, who was that?

http://imgur.com/jowESBu
8/5/14 11:41 AM
RobertKipness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Affiliate fees bro...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.