UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> IBJJF Black Belt registration s_cks!

8/9/10 3:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
matt murdock
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you suppose they made this official membership BS to keep people like Josh Barnett out? I just went to sign up for the Chicago Open and realized it's too late to register as a black belt. So far there are almost no Black Belts competing and I don't expect that to change due to this registration garbage.
8/9/10 4:40 PM
Matt Jubera
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I turned in my membership a few days late for the worlds, but before the registration deadline and they had my card when I got there. Best of luck Jay.
8/9/10 4:53 PM
matt murdock
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Matt. I still don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. I emailed there membership department and asked.
8/9/10 5:48 PM
Matt Jubera

So you click on the Student Form link next to USBJJF. Print it. Fill it out. Scan it in. Scan in your drivers license. Take a pic of yourself that you want on the id.

Then email them:
1. The scanned in, filled out student form
2. Your driver's license
3. The pic
8/9/10 5:49 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just compete as a brown belt
8/9/10 5:50 PM
mad tiger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same here. They dont return emails or on time at least. There tourny out here in hawaii is gonna flop due to this.
8/9/10 6:15 PM
matt murdock

Thanks again, Matt.

Brown belts have to do a similar thing.
8/9/10 10:12 PM
Hillary
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, tell me about it. Due to completely absurd time rules and the fact that my coaches aren't famous Brazilians, I can't compete in the EXACT SAME DIVISION (female brown/black together) I've been competing in until next year.
8/9/10 10:30 PM
matt murdock

Another funny thing, the name of my school is Valko BJJ www.valkobjj.com, and I'm a black belt under a Gracie Barra black belt (but I don't rep Barra), yet when my students register IBJJF refuses to list my school as Valko BJJ and always calls it Valko JJ.  This happens at every IBJJF event even though I've competed at every  belt blue-black since 2001 and have been repping my school at brown and black since 2007.
8/10/10 2:21 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man this whole thing is gonna flop... And it's sad.
8/10/10 3:26 AM
blanko
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

weren't most people complaining about guys like mikey choi and how he was able to register at black belt?
8/10/10 4:04 AM
mad tiger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah but the current answer to that problem does more bad then good.
8/10/10 4:51 AM
JSho
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillary - LOL, tell me about it. Due to completely absurd time rules and the fact that my coaches aren't famous Brazilians, I can't compete in the EXACT SAME DIVISION (female brown/black together) I've been competing in until next year.

Can't you get Cavaca to sign it for you, or whoever gave your coaches their black belts to sign it.

matt murdock - Do you suppose they made this official membership BS to keep people like Josh Barnett out? I just went to sign up for the Chicago Open and realized it's too late to register as a black belt. So far there are almost no Black Belts competing and I don't expect that to change due to this registration garbage.

i don't understand, i thought your instructor is a 3rd degree black belt and a barra member as well?

even if Josh's instructor (Erik Paulson) isn;t a 2nd dan black belt, how hard would it be for him to get Erik's instructor (Rigan) to sign it?

Just how many black belts can't get a ibjjf recognised 2nd dan or above to sign this thing for them
8/10/10 7:20 AM
matt murdock

Yeah, my instructor is a 3rd degree black belt but it's still a pain to get him to sign something while I'm in Chicago and he's in Florida. I was just pissed that the Chicago Open deadline passed and I didn't realize it. They did respond to me email though so that's good.
8/10/10 8:55 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, this is crazy. How much does it cost? Something like $500-$700? Or is it just signing something?

Hillary is a World Champ and can't get it until next year
8/10/10 10:43 AM
spider guard
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JSho - 
i don't understand, i thought your instructor is a 3rd degree black belt and a barra member as well?

even if Josh's instructor (Erik Paulson) isn;t a 2nd dan black belt, how hard would it be for him to get Erik's instructor (Rigan) to sign it?

Just how many black belts can't get a ibjjf recognised 2nd dan or above to sign this thing for them

C'mon JSho, you are like the most knowledgeable person when it comes to tournaments on this board. You know the answer to this. Politics is a bitch. BJJ politics are even worse.
8/10/10 12:06 PM
rolijuju
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gay
8/10/10 3:13 PM
AmericanJJ

What do black belts under guys like Mark Laimon do?

There are a ton of Americans who are no longer with the instructors who gave them their black belts for whatever reasons. If they had not received the rank of 2nd degree their students cant compete?
8/10/10 3:56 PM
Hillary
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My issue is the minimum time requirement. The minimum time from brown to black is one year, I spent 7 months. Despite the fact that my division wouldn't change at all, I can't compete until I complete the one year.
8/10/10 4:57 PM
JudoMike76

Hillary - My issue is the minimum time requirement. The minimum time from brown to black is one year, I spent 7 months. Despite the fact that my division wouldn't change at all, I can't compete until I complete the one year.

That is beyond retarded.
8/10/10 5:17 PM
dokomoy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillary - My issue is the minimum time requirement. The minimum time from brown to black is one year, I spent 7 months. Despite the fact that my division wouldn't change at all, I can't compete until I complete the one year.

Sounds like something straight out of The Onion.

"World Champion not qualified to Contest world championship".
8/10/10 6:10 PM
KingBodhi

Edited: 08/10/10 6:10 PM
The politics and financially draining nature of the IBJJF is gonna kill a lot of events. It's pretty much becoming a Barra inhouse tourney. If you aren't with Barra, Alliance, Checkmat, Atos, or Humaita, then you're pretty much gonna have a tough time getting into these events as black belts. It's about getting cash out of your entire lineage, you - your instructor - their instructor - his instructor - hopefully either Helio, Carlos, Fadda, or Maeda. However many steps to trace your lineage, they all have to be IBJJF registered.
8/10/10 6:10 PM
spider guard
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember that the brown and black belts for females are combined. This means it would be the exact same division, no change at all except for this BS.

I wonder if the IBJJF will have a drop of in American competitor as they slowly roll out this charge for a ID card/can't compete without one deal?
8/10/10 6:29 PM
matt murdock

They will absolutely have a decline in competitors. Hillary and myself, for example.
8/10/10 6:50 PM
Hillary

It won't mean most American's won't compete, it's just forcing guys to affiliate with a bigger school when they won't necessarily need to otherwise.

Technically, I'm a black belt under Matt Hamilton and Roli Delgado. And only them. Cavaca and Renato Tavares backed it as friends and not as association.

When it came time to register for the CBJJ/IBJJF, Cyborg signed for my black belt because it requires a 2nd degree to vouch for you. But even at that, despite being the IBJJF Brown/Black middleweight World Nogi, Pan, and World Gi champion, I can't compete in the same division until next year. LOL.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.