UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> 2 on 1 grip for Judo?

8/10/10 12:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kway
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering what the term is for the 2 on 1 grip in Judo. I've been using this grip a lot in my BJJ, but also want to use it in my standup. I'm just trying to find more resources about it. Also if there is a Sambo name for it I would like to know.

Thanks!
8/10/10 4:37 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will give you my take on this, not sure I have heard the term 2-1 gripping. (More experienced judoka might have a better response). To me it means same side gripping where you grab the sleeve/collar on the same side of the opponents body. Or where you cross grip the sleeve of the opponent, pull it into you and take the back over the shoulder grip on the same side as your sleeve grip.
8/10/10 5:25 PM
Kway
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes that would be it. It's also sometimes called a Russian hold.
8/10/10 6:45 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cross gripping, 2 on 1, russian side... they are interchangable.

5 seconds and you must try to throw. not a dinky dink attempt either.
8/11/10 12:38 AM
nowaydo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vadim Kolganov

8/11/10 1:36 AM
Kway

"5 seconds and you must try to throw. not a dinky dink attempt either."

Thank you! That is great information.
8/11/10 1:52 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kway - "5 seconds and you must try to throw. not a dinky dink attempt either."

Actually it is important info in judo as you will get penalized for a 2 on 1 grip unless you immediatetly go for a throw.  This is actually a good thing imho because as soon as you achieve the dominant grip you should be entering into the throw before they counter and re grip and a kumikata war wages.

8/12/10 11:35 PM
Bently
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop - 
Kway - "5 seconds and you must try to throw. not a dinky dink attempt either."

Actually it is important info in judo as you will get penalized for a 2 on 1 grip unless you immediatetly go for a throw.  This is actually a good thing imho because as soon as you achieve the dominant grip you should be entering into the throw before they counter and re grip and a kumikata war wages.

Like Josh wrote, it's 5 seconds, not immediately, unless you do it and bend over into a defensive posture.

Ben
8/14/10 4:56 PM
OsotoGary
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the heck is that music in that video!
8/14/10 5:33 PM
Empire
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLB_0jRj5tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agNqRGpPRZA&feature=related
8/14/10 5:35 PM
Empire
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't know judo rules...

especially w/ leg attacks and such, but here's another good video...

as far as how it pertains to judo's rules, no idea, but to me, this is my go to position in standup and i have very good results in bjj using the 2 on 1 on the ground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyH07-CWGoQ&feature=related
8/14/10 5:35 PM
Empire

i don't know judo rules...

especially w/ leg attacks and such, but here's another good video...

as far as how it pertains to judo's rules, no idea, but to me, this is my go to position in standup and i have very good results in bjj using the 2 on 1 on the ground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyH07-CWGoQ&feature=related
8/15/10 10:09 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Empire, In the Russian teaching videos when he ducks under after the 2-1 and throws (without grabbing a leg) I have seen Eastern European players, and Damian Ohare do that throw (this year). Legit judo throw since no legs are grabbed. I talked to Damian after and asked him what was that and he explained the set up that I didn't quite understand. All you need to know at a basic level is you can't grabbed the legs as an inital attack. But you can grab the leg as a follup tecknique to your legitimate initial attack. Or you can grab the leg(s) as a counter attack to your opponents legitimate inital attack. Leg grabs in BJJ are safe because you never expose your back especially from a 2-1 and get the 2 point takedown. Post some of your matches on the BJJ forum.
8/15/10 1:27 PM
Empire

judoblackbelt,

no matches anymore...

that was 8-10 years ago.

im 32 and locked down w/ kids every weekend.

just a dojo player now.

so if i entered a judo tourney (morris cup is 20-30 min from me) i could get the russian if they tie up my collar and go from there w/ any leg attack? assuming i yoked their arm up like a 2 on 1 and only AFTER that i can go for legs w/ no penalties?

what am i opening myself up for if i go for russian 2 on 1 in judo? am i susceptible to some throws?

im assuming i'd have to really kill that collar grip before going full bore.
8/15/10 9:54 PM
judoblackbelt

Empire You can't go with any leg inital attack if they tie up your collar. You can get the Russiian 2-1 anytime, but you can't grab the legs. Odd as it may seem your opponent (legally)can grab the legs when he is gripped in a 2-1 or same side grip, it is in the rules. You are not opening up yourself for any particular throw except a leg grab by your opponent in general. The collar grip in judo is just a normal grip, but it is more important to get "your grip" that you can throw from. You can grip fight and try and break his collar grip on you but where does that leave you? Starting over with grips. P.S. My last competition was 2006 age 55.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.