UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Rank verification for org. and tourney

8/15/10 3:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
emiliozapata
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok here is the deal, I once did judo and was pretty good, my instructor, who once hosted/moderated this forum, was somewhat unconventional in the way he promoted and just one day said I would be a "brown belt" based on my shiai performances, and the one we were currently at. During my last match at that shiai I blew out my shoulder and left judo while I healed. The instructor's school dissolved and took on a few different incarnations over the years, but I believe he is just a wandering seminar type guy now.

In the intervening years I did BJJ and obtained a blue belt from Royce, again just thrown at me for performance. I now train informally with different people and do Army Combatives and continue working my standup grappling.

I wanna do a judo tourney again, specifically the one in Lodi Ohio. My question is this. If I join usja and put my non verified rank as sankyu am I gonna get to the tournament and have a hassle of some sort "proving" my rank since there really is no paper trail for me to claim that rank.

I don't wanna be a sandbagger and compete at anything less than brown/black level, as I think my technical proficiency and physical attributes place me at the higher level of competition. I also don't wanna pay the 55/65 (dual judo/jj rate) if I am not gonna be granted the sankyu grade.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Also what are the benefits of getting the dual judo/jj membership? Does usa judo hold jj events with any sort of frequency and if so are they geographically limited, or fairly widespread. Thanks EZ
8/15/10 4:26 PM
judo man

Was your instructor affiliated to a judo organization? In the U.S., there are 3 judo orgs: USJA, USJI, and USA Judo. You might want to see if you are registered there. Most of these orgs register their ranks. There are no problem holding dual memberships from what I've heard. It really shouldn't be much a of a big deal from my understanding.
8/15/10 5:32 PM
Bently

If it was Mark Tripp, you need to contact him directly and ask him. If he sent in the paperwork, then there should be a record of it as USJA. Alternatively, you could call USJA yourself and ask them if they have any record of you.

If you competed in sanctioned Judo events in the past, then you had to have been a member of either USJA, USJF, or USA Judo for insurance purposes. So you can call/email all three and see if there are any records of you having been registered, and what rank you were if any.

If you are not a black belt and wish to fight in open or black belt divisions, you will likely have to have a registered black belt (with one of the three national orgs) sign off on your entry form.

I can direct you to Mark Tripp if need be, send me a Private Message and I'll let you know where to contact him.

Ben Reinhardt
8/15/10 6:43 PM
emiliozapata

sounds like a big p.i.a if you ask me,,might just find a sub grappling tourney, gotta scratch that competitive itch somehow, thanks for the help.
8/15/10 10:07 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Register with USA judo, that way you will be able to do National level tournaments. If you plan on only local tournaments usjf or usja membership will do and can be done at the tournamanet. One of our new players is a formal National level Romainian player and he paid $30 for his USA judo membership. Go to the tournament at your most recent rank/belt and enter brown, if only black/brown you will need a signature of Shodan or higher to attest to your skills. Without this signature you will have to complete in brown or lower. It's that simple. Have fun.
8/16/10 3:06 PM
JuDoK@
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a very small tournament and I would think you would have no problem competing as a brown belt... Its really not a big deal at this tournament level.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.