UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> NO RESPECT FOR JUDO IN MMA

9/5/10 10:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmalegit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gbutts - 
mmalegit - The problem with transferring from Judo to MMA, and I'm sure you've heard this many times is the gi. BJJ guys are successful because they have the option to train no-gi and that's a huge advantage. I haven't yet heard of a Judo dojo that offers no-gi training.

I teach Bjj people no-gi judo every weekend and it harder for Bjj to learn no-gi throws-into- submissions then it is a judo player. Most non-judo people don't realize how much of an advantage judo players have when it come to standing grappling to groundwork. Most Bjj people are very limited when comes to the type of standing grappling you need to succeed in mma. In fact training with a gi will only improve your standing and ground game because it force you use techique and it slows your ground game down, so you have excute escape perfect and submissions. While i agree to there are not alot of judo clubs that teach no-gi judo, judo players that enter mma find it very easy to tranfer their skills to mma.

I know man. Judo is uber effective it's just that so many are unwilling to train it properly. They think they can just learn how to throw people in a few lessons while being good at Judo requires years of training. I agree someone who is well versed with the gi is more technical than someone who trains without (hence the gi or no gi arguments). IMO Judo will be well integrated into MMA in the coming years and everyone will have a well-rounded takedown game.
10/1/10 7:07 AM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Judo But I also love BJJ and my back round comes from wrestling.Currently I train to fight and I am striking class 4 days a week BJJ 4 days I teach wrestling at my school.
You need to understand a few things about the other sports before you can dismiss them. You claim wrestler have to change levels to get a takedown you are wrong. Have you ever had a chance to train with a top level world class wrestler before ? when you speak of grip fighting Judo does use it more then any other grappling discipline but all high level player in all styles have amazing grips.
And when it comes to MMA They said all of them wrestlers BJJ and Judo guys need striking ! they never single out the Judo competitors. Just look at Demian Maia world champion BJJ Guy but they have all said he need to improve his striking "Will good reason he got KOed in the 1st rd vs Nate Marquardt" THen it is the opposite for strikers they said boxers need takedown defense and sub defense.

And it is true go into a cage or a ring against a guy who is not world class in any style but is well rounded ins striking ,takedowns & defense also submissions & you only being great in one area you will get your ass handed to you.
10/1/10 11:20 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop74 - I love Judo But I also love BJJ and my back round comes from wrestling.Currently I train to fight and I am striking class 4 days a week BJJ 4 days I teach wrestling at my school.
You need to understand a few things about the other sports before you can dismiss them. You claim wrestler have to change levels to get a takedown you are wrong. Have you ever had a chance to train with a top level world class wrestler before ? when you speak of grip fighting Judo does use it more then any other grappling discipline but all high level player in all styles have amazing grips.
And when it comes to MMA They said all of them wrestlers BJJ and Judo guys need striking ! they never single out the Judo competitors. Just look at Demian Maia world champion BJJ Guy but they have all said he need to improve his striking "Will good reason he got KOed in the 1st rd vs Nate Marquardt" THen it is the opposite for strikers they said boxers need takedown defense and sub defense.

And it is true go into a cage or a ring against a guy who is not world class in any style but is well rounded ins striking ,takedowns & defense also submissions & you only being great in one area you will get your ass handed to you.

I wish you lots of success in mma. I'll quickly answer some of your questions. I started wrestling and sambo when I was 6 years old (I am 42 now). I was on two All Marine Corp Wrestling Teams) competed at an Olympic trials (freestyle) and many international tournaments. I was trained by Pedro Morales for 4 years and Earl Norman for 12 years. I have compete with some best wrestlers in the world when I younger. I have been training and teaching Judo for 18 years. I have been doing no-gi grappling and teaching no-gi grappling for over 12 years. I love wrestling and I respect all forms of grappling.
My thread was not intended to belittle any form of grappling but to merely point out that Judo is more adaptive to mma; however, I will correct you about change levels and purpose for wrestling takedowns. Wrestling takedowns are not intended to cause bodily damage or setup positions for submissions like Judo throws. Most wrestlers (even freestyle) have to change level because of their stances (box and weight extended over their hips, unlike judo players whose hips are free to move at more angles. Wrestlers and bjj people (because most use a wrestlers’ stance) griping fighting is not similar to boxing because they are bent over. Judo players stand like boxers and their grip fighting is similar to throwing boxing punches. I never said that other grappling art gripping was crap I just that judo gripping is more like boxing, thus it easier for them to learn striking. I also never said that anyone should go into the mma with just their primary fighting style, but neither should they abandon it.

Train Hard and stay safe
10/4/10 1:57 PM
leothelion

Edited: 10/04/10 2:00 PM
 gbutts...thank you for your service to our country....

As you pointed out to be effective we need to be well rounded...

I am 52 years old now... I train almost exclusivelly in BJJ...less wear and tear on the old bones, you know... I don't train like I should...life has a way of encroaching on our training time ( excuse alert!).... during BJJ ground randori I pretty much get my "assets" handed to me by all the young  bucks in class ( and some of the old silver backs as well too) ....but when we on occasion start randori from a standing position ( rather then the standard BJJ knees) ...well then...everything changes...I am in my "Judo" element...and these young guys get to experience what it feels like to be slammed hard by an old guy half their age....That's why I never have the luxury of doing standing sparring with the new white belts ( my rank in bjj)... I am always paired by my instructor with some gnarly 20 something ex-wrestler who just trains bjj and goes to school ( usually a blue belt and above) ...  
10/7/10 11:11 PM
JDOKLR

What is this Judo you speak of?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.