UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Crossfit and Muay Thai?

8/17/10 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SanshiroSugata
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know there's a strength and conditioning forum for this. And I know that in that forum, they will praise the glory of Crossfit.

But I want to do Crossfit to supplement my Muay Thai training. So I'd rather ask you guys...

...anybody have any thoughts on the benefits of supplementing your Muay Thai with Crossfit for conditioning?
8/17/10 11:39 PM
martiallist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crossfit would be beneficial regardless of what art you study. Go for it, if you have the money. CF classes can be pricey.
8/18/10 12:42 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SanshiroSugata - I know there's a strength and conditioning forum for this. And I know that in that forum, they will praise the glory of Crossfit.
Then clearly you haven't been to the S&C forum. Because the majority of of us think Crossfit sucks.

8/18/10 6:17 PM
Jake Steinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sityodtong Muay Thai, Trainer
How often do you train? Are you intending to compete? When?

I've done a little bit of Crossfit, but not a lot. Personally, I found that Crossfit, in conjunction with my other training, put too much of a strain on my body. It also require as bunch of skill training and equipment that I don't have access too, and I eventually ditched it.

Of course, between teaching and training myself, I'm in the gym six days a week. And physically active while I'm there--pad holding gets pretty taxing if you're doing it a lot.

If you are doing Muay Thai two or three days a week, you might be able to layer Crossfit on top of it, if that's your thing. If you're training more often than that, Crossfit may be too much workload for not enough benefit.

Again, that's just my personal experience. I know a lot of guys who love Crossfit (though most of them aren't Muay Thai guys).

My basic advice? If you want to do it (and you said you did), try it out and see. Schedule your crossfitting so that it doesn't stack up with your Muay Thai.

Bottom line: prioritize. If you want to be a better Nak Muay, work Crossfit around your Muay Thai. If you want to be a better Crossfitter, work Muay Thai around your Crossfit.
8/18/10 10:38 PM
SanshiroSugata
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks guys. yeah, I'm entertaining the idea of competing, but I'm relatively out of shape so I'm trying to figure out a good way to get sharp with muay thai again and in good shape with crossfit.

I just got moved to a night shift, so this have left me in a position I've never been in before: saving money cause I can't go to bars at night, no girlfriend, lots of time on my hands, and close access to a crossfit and muay thai gym.

I definitely want to take it slowly, get sharp at Muay Thai again, and learn the movements in Crossfit so I can have them down pretty well later when I get more serious about competing.

Hey Bull In Chinashop - What do the S&C guys not like about Crossfit? I'm always curious to hear the cons as well as the pros.
8/19/10 6:19 PM
stlnl2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was going to chime in, I have done only a bit of crossfit, and been in a facility where its ongoing, and I think some of the movements and when they are done are more strain/dangerous than benficial. I just dont think some of the overhead stuff is a great idea when a person is tired.
8/19/10 7:39 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No reason to reinvent the wheel here, considering teh amount of threads done on this subject. If you do a search you will come across many threads like this one:

www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm
8/19/10 8:12 PM
SanshiroSugata

great, thank you! i'm still going to try it out to see for myself, but it's good to hear so many different opinions.

my biggest concern with the crossfit training which people talked about is the possibility of injury while trying to do complex lifts while fatigued. I don't think anything would frustrate me more than getting injured doing something that's supposed to be supplementary to my muay thai training.
8/20/10 4:03 PM
Newaza freak
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best muaythai fighters that ever lived never did crossfit.
8/21/10 3:02 AM
SanshiroSugata

Newaza freak - The best muaythai fighters that ever lived never did crossfit.

...and they were probably way more talented than me to begin with anyway!
8/21/10 1:21 PM
molsonman
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The shotgun approach is not the best way to train.

You should figure out your strengths and weaknesses and create a program from there. Focusing on improving one main thing at a time while maintaining everything else.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.