UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> How do you pass closed guard nogi...

8/18/10 2:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My biggest problem no gi is opening the closed guard. From watching ADCC vids it seems this is an issue at all levels of no gi grappling.

What are your passing strategies?
8/18/10 2:46 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suppose I didn't have to specify no gi in the title since its the no gi forum.
8/18/10 3:56 PM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One hand on the bicep, one hand on the throat.

Stand up quickly and get good posture.

Step back with one leg and push down on his knee with both hands.
8/18/10 8:30 PM
donnie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Punch them in the face until the guard opens:)

There are a lot of ways of breaking the guard open. I have more succes with the techniques where you stand while breaking the guard. Regardless, breaking the guard is the hardest part about passing. Once the guard is broke you're home free.
8/18/10 9:23 PM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either both arms in the arm pits, scoot back and insert knee or both hands on the throat, pressure and stand!
8/18/10 9:37 PM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't like both hands on the throat, personally. Leaving both of his arms free is asking for trouble.
8/18/10 9:42 PM
jmil147
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sao paulo pass....see wilson reis
8/18/10 10:04 PM
asscobra
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both arms in pits, stand and insert knee in ass. sit on back ankle driving knee in between you and opponent.
8/18/10 10:09 PM
Tomato Can

asscobra - Both arms in pits, stand and insert knee in ass. sit on back ankle driving knee in between you and opponent.

This can definitely work but I find the stand and break to be higher percentage, particularly in no-gi.
8/18/10 10:11 PM
Judo Scott

I have a harder time standing up in no gi. I generally go fort he two hands in the arm pits pass where you come to all fours and get a knee in.
8/18/10 10:15 PM
Tomato Can

Edited: 08/18/10 10:40 PM
Put your weight on his bicep and throat and jump directly to your feet. Don't stand up gradually.
8/18/10 10:39 PM
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never had all that much of a problem.

Two hand push inside the knee or hip push, hunchback posture, knee up the middle.

There's countless instructionals on this.
8/18/10 11:30 PM
donnie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorate way to break the closed guard is to bait them. I leave my arms out so far that it seems impossible for me to recover from an armbar attemp. Once they attemp a submission, I'm passing their guard. You must practice armbar and triangle defense just incase.
8/19/10 8:00 AM
Judo Scott

donnie -  My favorate way to break the closed guard is to bait them. I leave my arms out so far that it seems impossible for me to recover from an armbar attemp. Once they attemp a submission, I'm passing their guard. You must practice armbar and triangle defense just incase.

I have an omaplata escape that I use like that
8/19/10 8:16 AM
Kai Tremeche

If they're playing SUPER squeeze tard guard, stand up and spin them.
8/19/10 10:35 AM
jammer1

Opening the closed guard shouldn't be a problem considering that the guard player has to open the guard or climb up with his legs to attack. When they climb I like the standing knee in middle break. I also like to bait kimuras and pendulum sweeps to trap an arm for a pass.
8/20/10 4:00 PM
Sober
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donnie -  My favorate way to break the closed guard is to bait them. I leave my arms out so far that it seems impossible for me to recover from an armbar attemp. Once they attemp a submission, I'm passing their guard. You must practice armbar and triangle defense just incase.

i do this as well. i started to feel lazy doing it though. felt as if i should have been actively using some technique to break open the guard as opposed to waiting on my opponent.
8/20/10 5:55 PM
Kai Tremeche

I try to never use baiting because you wouldn't want to do that in a tournament, unless you are about to lose on points and you need the pass to win.
8/20/10 9:04 PM
pbody
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out Marcelo's matches from ADCC 2009. He uses a couple of interesting techniques to break the closed guard from standing.
8/20/10 11:46 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can opener also works well, but don't be a dick and crank the neck, just open the guard and get your combat base and pass..
8/21/10 3:33 AM
donnie

jammer1 - Opening the closed guard shouldn't be a problem considering that the guard player has to open the guard or climb up with his legs to attack. When they climb I like the standing knee in middle break. I also like to bait kimuras and pendulum sweeps to trap an arm for a pass.

I rarely close my guard anymore. The problem is when your grappling less experienced players that feel like the only way to survive is to clamp down with all their might.
8/21/10 3:36 AM
donnie

Sober - 

i do this as well. i started to feel lazy doing it though. felt as if i should have been actively using some technique to break open the guard as opposed to waiting on my opponent.

I'll try several ways to break the guard before I start the baiting. To me the baiting techniques are best use for the guys that clamp down like I mention above. I'll be training with someone that has 30+ pounds of muscle more than me and they will not let go of the guard hold for the life of them.
8/21/10 3:46 AM
donnie

Kai Tremeche - I try to never use baiting because you wouldn't want to do that in a tournament, unless you are about to lose on points and you need the pass to win.

I haven't done tournamnets in a very long time. Why would it be bad to use baiting to pass the guard?

I think baiting would be even easier in a tournament enviroment. One of the baiting techniques is a common beginner mistake. Leaving an arm on the body and turning to reach back and try to uncross the closed legs. This usually turns into the bottom guy getting a triangle or armbar, but I'm counting on them going for those moves so I can change to a different position.

I think it would be easier in an tournament becuase most people probably don't know that much about their opponent. So, a beginner mistake like above would just make the bottom player think they were grappling a lesser opponent and go for the sub without thought of any baiting happening.
8/21/10 12:43 PM
Kai Tremeche

donnie - 
Kai Tremeche - I try to never use baiting because you wouldn't want to do that in a tournament, unless you are about to lose on points and you need the pass to win.

I haven't done tournamnets in a very long time. Why would it be bad to use baiting to pass the guard?

I think baiting would be even easier in a tournament enviroment. One of the baiting techniques is a common beginner mistake. Leaving an arm on the body and turning to reach back and try to uncross the closed legs. This usually turns into the bottom guy getting a triangle or armbar, but I'm counting on them going for those moves so I can change to a different position.

I think it would be easier in an tournament becuase most people probably don't know that much about their opponent. So, a beginner mistake like above would just make the bottom player think they were grappling a lesser opponent and go for the sub without thought of any baiting happening.

It's because when you bait, you are testing your escape skills against a possible finish just to improve position, when you already have an advantage by being on top in guard.

A possible finish just to pass the guard.

That is something best left for desperation.
10/18/10 9:24 AM
supersaiyan

u usually grind my elbows in the inner thigh just below the knees while pushing downwards

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.