UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> How do you pass closed guard nogi...

10/18/10 4:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bull_in_chinashop
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supersaiyan - u usually grind my elbows in the inner thigh just below the knees while pushing downwards

That just pisses anyone white belt off.
10/21/10 12:52 PM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol... or i could just pop up...step over and do Boston CraB..which ever they prefer :)
12/9/10 1:31 PM
jittaz

i usually pass with a frontflip or a cartwheel
12/11/10 3:56 PM
ReneH

My favorite is to punish them: steamroller from the can opener. What can i say...I'm a catch guy.
12/11/10 8:39 PM
morotetsuke
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chimchim
12/12/10 8:11 PM
pcuzz

Just my observation but most if the bottom guy doesnt perceive you actually trying to pass he will open his guard for you, either to attack or adjust. Then its about being aware at the moment this happens. Legs tire quick if they are constantly squeezing.
12/13/10 2:46 PM
The People's Knee
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no question that opening the closed guard in no-gi is much tougher than gi - especially if the bottom man is really set on keeping his guard closed.

However, as has been mentioned, good techniques for opening the guard are the Sao Paulo / Tozz i /Wilson pass and the can opener. 
12/13/10 2:58 PM
Tomato Can
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The People's Knee -  There is no question that opening the closed guard in no-gi is much tougher than gi - especially if the bottom man is really set on keeping his guard closed.

However, as has been mentioned, good techniques for opening the guard are the Sao Paulo / Tozz i /Wilson pass and the can opener. 

Really? I would normally yield to your superior experience, but I've generally found the opposite to be true. In a gi the guard player has so many more ways to break down your posture. Just the collar grip alone can be a major obstacle.
12/13/10 3:10 PM
The People's Knee
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/10 3:51 PM
Tomato Can - 
The People's Knee -  There is no question that opening the closed guard in no-gi is much tougher than gi - especially if the bottom man is really set on keeping his guard closed.

Really? I would normally yield to your superior experience, but I've generally found the opposite to be true. In a gi the guard player has so many more ways to break down your posture. Just the collar grip alone can be a major obstacle.
In my experience, there are many more techniques available for the passer with the gi.  Just 2 off the top of my head:

1. All Most of the standing passes.  (IMO, it's much harder to do a standing pass no-gi because there is no sleeve or lapel for the passer to grab when he initially stands up.)

2. Pushing the guard player's pants / belt up under his chin and the passer pushing his knee into the tailbone of the guard player or "threading the needle" when the passer pushes his knee up through the space he creates in front of the guard player's groin.  (You can't grab the pants or the belt in no-gi)

Yes, there are also more "handles" for the guard player, but I've found that they don't make it any tougher for the passer to open his guard.  They do give the guard player MANY more options when it comes to open guard, however.

12/13/10 3:38 PM
Tomato Can
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the standing passes still work no-gi. That's what I use to open the guard 90% of the time, at least.
12/13/10 3:45 PM
Judo Scott
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a hard time getting to my feet no gi. In the gi almost always pass standing trapping and controlling an arm using the gi as I get up.
12/13/10 3:51 PM
The People's Knee

Edited: 12/13/10 3:53 PM
Tomato Can - I think the standing passes still work no-gi. That's what I use to open the guard 90% of the time, at least.

It's definitely possible to do a standing pass no-gi, but it can be riskier as you have less control of the guard player.   Of course, I'm not sure which techniques you use.

One way to do a no-gi standing guard pass is if you are able to control your opponent's wrist and pass it under / behind his own back to your other hand.  That pass is VERY effective once you've transferred control of his wrist to the other side. 

So I guess I should amend my post above to say that MOST of the standing passes are much more difficult.

12/13/10 4:09 PM
Judo Scott
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ya but controlling the wrist long enough is such a bitch!
1/6/11 5:31 PM
Tap21

Anyone having trouble passing might check out Chris Brennan's no-gi passing dvd. It's super straight forward without a ton of theoretical discussion. It covers a bunch of fundamental passes for full, half, and butterfly.

It is also only $39.99 and one disc, whereas Popovitch's 3 disc set is $149.99.
1/6/11 6:40 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/11 2:56 AM
jammer1

That is a pretty straightforward way to pass RG. I would probably use my left elbow and not the hand to push down on the right leg to avoid a kimura or underhook control.

Personally, I try not to ever let my hand arm get overhooked as you are pretty much on the defensive from there on.
1/22/11 3:47 PM
GRANBYTRIPOD1

I use one hand on the throat and one hand in the hip to stand and break the guard, from there its either the baseball slide with the far underhook, throwing both legs to one side, dropping down to underhook both legs in a drysdale esque type pass, etc. Passing from standing in Nogi is the way to go.
2/10/11 12:17 PM
mmanthebay
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standing Phone Post
2/16/11 5:49 AM
Fight! UK Online
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK, Online Editor
subbed
2/16/11 9:21 AM
David@accu

Just use the "Cup Pass". It's where you plant your knee firmly on their cup and almost like magic their guard opens. I haven't used it since week 3 of grappling because of the effectiveness of such an advanced move depresses everyone for not being strong enough to contain it.

Seriously though. Someone already mentioned it. armpits, knee in spine, sit straight up on your ankles and push knee into spine. Thats what I was shown. You could also be a dick and use your elbows on the inside of their thighs.
2/16/11 9:52 AM
TrevorRice
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

passing closed guard- no gi is tough. I try to stand , if the guy is alot heavier then me like over 70lbs, I will have some trouble. I always have a counter leg lock available. (I am mid-level purple belt).
2/25/11 2:13 AM
Tap21

TrevorRice - passing closed guard- no gi is tough. I try to stand , if the guy is alot heavier then me like over 70lbs, I will have some trouble. I always have a counter leg lock available. (I am mid-level purple belt).

There is definitely a strange satisfaction that comes from heelhooking a guy in 10 seconds when he was envisioning about 5 minutes of positional trading before anyone gets anywhere near a submission. (I don't even have a belt).
3/18/11 1:14 PM
Jefe de Jefes
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My threads.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.