UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Pulled hip flexor/ groin and BJJ..???

8/19/10 1:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody have to deal with this ? I pulled a hip flexor/groin muscle in sparring several months. Ago. Just had some guy in my guard trying to pass and * POP * ! I felt the pull/ tear....It was pretty bad an I couldn't do shit for months...am finally alot better now and can do most things, lift, squat, run, box.....but BJJ guardwork was absolutely out of the question.

Been over 6 months and I'm just now thinking that I might be able to go back...in a month. Maybe.

I've stretched the area extensively and do daily. I've gotten theraputic massage, even some MAT therapy on that leg....am now doing direct strength training/rehab therapy to the area (mostly w/ an ankle strapped to a weighted pulley/ stack (Vortex).

It's just that type of injuru where you think you're OK b-cuz there are other muscles there assisting and picking up the slack...until you do something tough and you REALLY call upon....and then it's re-aggravated.

I know I'm not the only one to ever pull a groin/hip flexor bad and then attempt to begin training again.

Any tips, advice, ideas, or just stories would be appreciated. Thanks.
8/20/10 1:38 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check into your glute strength/activation. If that is lacking, then your adductor magnus, which is one muscle that assists with hip extension, will have to work harder. Also, check your hip flexor flexibility. If that is tight in addition to poor glute activation, you probably have an anterior pelvic tilt, which can place added tension and stresses on the adductors as well.

Start will looking at your hips, but also look throughout your body for where the weak link is, not just your hips. Could be poor mobility in your ankles that is causing biomechanical issues up the chain to your hips.

In terms of rehab, glute activation and strengthening work, hip flexor adductor and IR/ER mobility, and soft tissue work should be a good start.
8/20/10 8:13 AM
martinburke
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just had a client with a similar issue. He stepped on a string of beads at Mardi Gras and did a split. Had persistent pain in one of the adductors, from the attachment at the pubic ramus to the pes anserinus.

It wasn't until I followed the fascial line down the inner leg into the arch of the foot that I found the trigger points around the base of the first metatarsal. Those trigger points were keeping the whole line under some tension.
8/20/10 10:35 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattB ATC - Check into your glute strength/activation. If that is lacking, then your adductor magnus, which is one muscle that assists with hip extension, will have to work harder. Also, check your hip flexor flexibility. If that is tight in addition to poor glute activation, you probably have an anterior pelvic tilt, which can place added tension and stresses on the adductors as well.

Start will looking at your hips, but also look throughout your body for where the weak link is, not just your hips. Could be poor mobility in your ankles that is causing biomechanical issues up the chain to your hips.

In terms of rehab, glute activation and strengthening work, hip flexor adductor and IR/ER mobility, and soft tissue work should be a good start.

Thanks Matt. I have no problems w/ glute activation as these firing patterns have been checked and the muscles there are firing in the right sequence and capacity...I have naturally thin ankles and could use some strengthening at the subtalar joint, but I have known for many years that I have pretty tight hip flexors....I'm sure it's only gotten worse w/ years of running, biking, BJJ, lifting, time, etc...

I'm doing exactly that. Soft tissue work...and strengthening hip flexor/adductor directly... Was wondering how others w/ this injury are training .
9/4/10 12:46 PM
SKARHEAD

ttt
5/21/11 10:31 AM
SKARHEAD

TTT....still looking for help
5/25/11 9:13 PM
bonez05
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dealing with a similar issue. My groin hip and hip flexor hurt like hell. Also maybe related extreme midback tightness. I'm seeing a personal trainer now. Its starting to loosen a bit. If you figure out. An answer let me know. It seems to me closed guard in bjj puts a lot of stress on the groin and.adductors.
5/27/11 11:32 AM
le0nidis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's an option.

http://www.musclebalancefunction.com/index.html
6/10/11 10:58 AM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the adductor is alot easier to deal with and depending on your age can be healed quickly with streching/yoga and laying of bjj for some time.

If it wa a pop and you couldnt do anything for months you should get an xray (cheaper) or a MRI. You can have really injured a tendon or the bone where the endon attaches. ITs probably to late now but it would be good to know what your up against.

Be lucky it isnt a hernia. This is very common in bjj for people around 40.
6/12/11 3:54 AM
SKARHEAD

Not an adductor...illiopsoas hip flexor

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.