UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo/ju jitsu/aikido????

8/22/10 8:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PepperUK
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello, after some advise.

Have a judo, ju jitsu and aikido clubs all near me. Want to take one of them up as way to protect myself should anything happen.

Problem is I'm quite new to this and not sure which one is better and why.

So after some advice which is the best style to defend your self with and why.

Cheers
8/22/10 10:01 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You probably will get various opinions but since I have tried all three, here's mine. I couldn't get the hang of Aikido, tried BJJ then progressed to judo, then a combination of both. Judo is my passion. First, try all of them and see which one you think you you will commmit to develope into a self defense art. BJJ and judo have an advantage in that you can compete to develope your fighting skills with competitions all over the US. I will not say which one is better as as a self defense. The answer is one that you can develope/progress is the best for you. BJJ schools are everywhere, judo not as many, aikido very few. Some local dojos/clubs offer a combination of these arts taught by individual who specialize in their particular art. Business model of today.
8/22/10 10:29 AM
PepperUK
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers for that. Actually over in the uk. Got all 3 clubs near me. Was leaning towards judo anyway. Just thought I'd ask help from those that know

Posted from my mma underground iPhone app
8/22/10 4:28 PM
PepperUK

^^^ cheers. Is it difficult to pick up?

8/22/10 5:13 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I planned not to answer since I gave my best but is a reply to your question. BJJ is by far the easiest to get better at faster. There are today (Phenoms) kids in their teens today with purple belt skills as yellow belts trashing excellent blue belts. Judo takes longer to learn and develope.
8/23/10 12:23 AM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never studied Aikido....I am currently studing Judo and Bjj...

The great benefit of Judo and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is that we encorporate practically full force sparing ( randori) into every practice...that why you are able to experience fighting....

Of the two I would recommend Judo for self-defense....a good hard throw to the hard pavement is a real fight ender...

In conclusion,  It's all good...Judo, Bjj or Aikido...it's not the art, it's the man in the art...what is inside a person that makes the art effective.
8/23/10 4:58 PM
ChanceDuBois

I would recommend bjj for someone coming in as an adult with zero experience. Judo is harder to get good at
8/23/10 6:56 PM
PepperUK

I don't have any bjj clubs close enough, only jjj clubs. Seems judo is the winner out of the 3 then.

8/24/10 3:23 AM
ChanceDuBois

where do you live?
8/24/10 4:41 AM
PepperUK

England in essex

8/24/10 6:53 AM
ChanceDuBois

There are bjj and judo clubs in Essex. How far are you prepared to travel?

If you want good advice on places to train try the cagewarriors forum
8/24/10 2:29 PM
PepperUK

Yeah found a judo club just down the road. Gonna pop along next week. Leaning towards judo. Reading up and what people say here seems to be the better art to defend your self as bjj is all ground work. Plus I'm quite a big fella and some of the bjj moves look like you got to be flexible, which I certainly am not.

8/24/10 8:16 PM
judoblackbelt

Keep us posted on your experience in Judo. Interested in what you think.
8/24/10 9:42 PM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a black belt in Aikido and have been doing Judo for the past year. In my opinion both have useful things for self-defence. Aikido for the concepts and awareness (and some of the techniques), Judo for the techniques and conditioning (maybe more suited for a younger person). Aikido is more difficult to pick up and takes longer to get the hang of. Personally it would be best to do both.

IMO you already do some ground work in Judo and you really don't need to be a BJJ black belt to defend yourself on the ground.

Realistically though you should train the martial art that you enjoy training the most. You'll learn self defence skills from training either but if it's boring to you then you'll quit after a while and have learnt nothing
8/25/10 6:40 AM
ChanceDuBois

Edited: 08/25/10 7:09 AM
Judo and bjj are both primarily grappling sports and don't really constitute effective self defence, although some of the skills and the fitness aspect might be useful. Maybe try a self defence class instead if that is your main reason for training.

If still interested in judo then did you check any uk forums? These are a few that might be useful

www.cagewarriors.com/forums

www.bjj.eu.com/forum

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/forums/

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php
8/25/10 7:02 AM
ChanceDuBois

Edited: 08/25/10 7:08 AM
Apparently bjj blackbelt mark walder is teaching at redbridge judo club in essex (a good judo club) and you could do either sport or both together at the same place. Many people do both together because they compliment each other. See thread here:

http://www.efnsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9732.0
8/26/10 11:34 AM
ChanceDuBois

If it comes down to physically fighting, unarmed, for your life in the street then sure judo is as good as anything else. But in reality self defence doesn't come down to that very often, and if it does you will probably find yourself being assaulted before you know it by a person or persons who are armed. In this case it is fantasy to think judo or bjj will save you.

Better to do some kind of self protection course which covers security, awareness, scenarios, and weapons if you are seriously worried about being attacked (like the kind of thing bodyguards or security workers might do).
8/27/10 9:38 AM
ChanceDuBois

FlopsyBunny - "Better to do some kind of self protection course which covers security, awareness, scenarios, and weapons"

I dont really see why I need a course for that, common sense will usually do it. If a big guy comes at you with a knife run like fuck shouting ARHGHGH OH MY GOD HE HAS GOT A KNIFE. Basic instincts often work best in life

Depends what kind of threat you are facing really. The OP doesn't elaborate. If a big guy comes at you with a knife then judo is the last thing that should be on your mind, confident aura or not.
8/27/10 9:55 AM
ChanceDuBois

There are lots of things you can do to minimise risk depending on your situation. Common sense will not teach you anything about security systems for your home and work, effective perimeter security, protective driving, what to do if you find yourself under fire, what to do if you are followed, strategies for a face off situation, common cons and criminal tactics, etc.

Since courses exist teaching these things, and since people working in security take the courses, I would guess they have something useful to teach those facing higher than average security risk.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.