UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Orientation begins tomorrow

8/22/10 11:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spc Lee Lohff
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, lawl school starts next week, with orientation tomorrow. I've heard tons of advice on how to do well, but I'm more interested in hearing how you all maintained your personal life/time during 1L, and what you would do differently if you could do it all over again (besides not go to law school.)
8/24/10 5:25 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/24/10 5:26 PM
Learn how to read cases efficiently so you have time to hone your legal writing skills and still make it to the gym.
Find out what hornbook your professor used when she was in school (or, if you're lucky, which one your professor wrote).
8/25/10 11:40 AM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont worry about your personal life...study your ass off in your first year and hope you get a summer job...that should be your only focus
8/25/10 7:17 PM
Spc Lee Lohff
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for all the advice.

Goku- no law of diminishing returns? I've heard time and again about how overdoing it becomes counterproductive.
8/25/10 8:17 PM
goku

that probably depends on your personality or demeaner...of course you need breaks, but i wouldnt make partying or hooking up or anything like that any type of priority...this one year could literally define the rest of your life
8/25/10 8:25 PM
Spc Lee Lohff

My priority remains law school, especially during 1L. Here's to hoping OCI isn't the bloodbath recent classes have been forced to endure. Not counting on it.
8/26/10 7:40 PM
pm1964
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck, but goku is correct. It is not possible to overstate the importance of 1L.
8/27/10 12:09 PM
goku

dont listen to people that tell you its not that hard to someone make themselves seem smart..better safe than sorry...

dont do what i did...i never studied and traveled 100 miles to party every weekend my first year...i had to go through hell my second year to dig my way out
8/30/10 12:55 AM
Xtina

know your sh*t on the first day. get the commercial outlines. sleep as much as you need. exercise. it's not as scary as you think.
8/30/10 4:26 PM
Brabo Fett

I am in the same boat. just started my 2nd week. everyone seems smart as shit.

Spc, you been called on yet?
8/30/10 8:54 PM
Spc Lee Lohff

Not yet. I'm not all that scared about cold calls, it means little for the final grade. I just want to make sure I keep a good balance between personal time and school time. Some kids are already going apeshit, and I have no idea how they are going to manage their lives for an entire semester when they are working like this. It's a bit nuts.
8/30/10 11:05 PM
Brabo Fett

I know what you mean.

Good luck to you.

if you don't mind me asking where are you at?
8/30/10 11:17 PM
Spc Lee Lohff

Northwestern. What about you?
8/30/10 11:38 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spc Lee Lohff - Not yet. I'm not all that scared about cold calls, it means little for the final grade. I just want to make sure I keep a good balance between personal time and school time. Some kids are already going apeshit, and I have no idea how they are going to manage their lives for an entire semester when they are working like this. It's a bit nuts.
People freaking out will get worse the closer you get to finals. A word of advice, find a nice place to study away from campus. Trying to study while everyone around you are that  tense is not easy to do. Going to the library a couple weeks before finals is like going to the insane asylum.

If you read the cases and work out why that case matters to the black letter law, there is nothing really to worry about when getting called on. On the other hand, if you are unprepared professors can get really nasty.

If you plan on outlining start the first week. Trying to catch up sucks. 
8/30/10 11:46 PM
Spc Lee Lohff

KenTheWalrus -People freaking out will get worse the closer you get to finals. A word of advice, find a nice place to study away from campus. Trying to study while everyone around you are that  tense is not easy to do. Going to the library a couple weeks before finals is like going to the insane asylum.

If you read the cases and work out why that case matters to the black letter law, there is nothing really to worry about when getting called on. On the other hand, if you are unprepared professors can get really nasty.

If you plan on outlining start the first week. Trying to catch up sucks. 

I've already begun outlining with the caveat that I really have no idea what I'm doing at this point. I expect to prune as finals approach. Good point on finding a place away from school. I need somewhere to go that has no tv's.
8/31/10 12:17 AM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/31/10 12:17 AM

Rule of law/Black letter law is a good place to start with outlines. You definitely want all the elements, all the exceptions, and all the exceptions to the exceptions in your outline. Vocabulary too. Catch phrases from cases can help with essay writing.

As far as a place to study, small coffee shops are a good idea. They are usually quiet with some background music. The downside is that eventually someone you know will find your study place.

Public libraries are also another choice. Same as the school library, but without the law students.

All-night diners are another choice, although they get loud when the bar crowd comesin and the waitress will bug you.

Another piece of advice, if you don't have non-law school friends from the area, make some. If you need to relax and forget about school, hanging out with another student probably won't cut it; the conversation will eventually lead back to school. If you train, your training partners are a good source for this.  

8/31/10 8:55 AM
Brabo Fett

villanova
8/31/10 1:49 PM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never outlined or used commercial outlines, but you have to do what works for you.
8/31/10 7:20 PM
Xtina

SLL, a lot of people studied at borders (on chicago and michigan?), but the caribou coffee locations a few miles north of campus are nicer. lots of coffee to keep you awake, and fireplaces to keep you from freezing in winter.

library tended not to be very busy until a few weeks before finals.
9/1/10 1:53 PM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I studied at home. Nothing beats being able to lounge in your underwear and not worry about picking your nose, pulling your hair out, cursing loudly or doing whatever other crap you like to do when stressed.
2/11/12 12:49 PM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second not hanging around other law school students. The only law school friends I have are LLM and PhD students that tend to be much more chill.
2/12/12 12:02 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made it a priority to arrive at school early, find a secluded spot in the library and review throughout the semester. Cramming is less efficient than doing a little bit every day. The only thing I would change if I could would be to spend more time on my 1L appellate brief, but even a great writing sample wouldn't have helped my employment prospects.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.