UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> 870 Express

8/23/10 8:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jason
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Took my new 870 express out clay shooting for the first time yesterday. Right away it started giving my problems ejecting spent shells with independence ammo. Switched to winchester target load and it did much better. I think only one or two shells got stuck in about 75 shots with the winchester. I have done some research online and some people say you should polish the chamber. I am thinkin it maybe just needs a break in period, what are your thought hunting/fishing ground?
8/23/10 9:22 PM
Its Raining Men
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Common to that gun. When hunting use high base ammo and it wont happen much. You will have the same problems withthat really cheap WalMart Universal stuff.

I had a buddy who had the same problem, but his was so persistant he eneded up taking the shotgun back to hte dealer and traded out.

Federal is a good compromise of affordable and functional.
9/15/10 1:27 AM
Jay ak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clean it every time and it will break in. I have an 870 and it has been abused for years on the duck flats, still works good.
10/29/10 1:52 AM
enykamp

Is it a super magnum that shoots 3.5's? The regular 870 express is one of the most reliable guns ever produced but the super mags that handle 3.5's have jamming issues. Also depends on how it is jamming. Low brass Winchesters and several other brands have issues with the hulls swelling and the brass will get stuck in the chamber, which has nothing to do with the gun. If it is stovepiping, or only partially ejecting the shell than it is an issue with the gun. There shouldn't be any break in period for the gun it should work straight out of the box...
9/28/11 2:07 PM
ThunderLips

i have an 870 express, bought it this year, shot about 1500 rounds through it with federal range and target shells and havent had a jam yet. SOOO much fun shooting clays with it.
10/1/11 5:53 AM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had my 870 wm since I was 12 and have probably put a million rounds through it, I can't remember having even the slightest jamming issue until the last few years.  Seems like every other shot hangs up in the chamber, mostly with Federal Premiums but Black Clouds are the worst, and it always happens at the worst possible times too. Pretty sure it's an issue with the shell swelling in the chamber

It was so bad last Duck season that I was ready to buy a new Browning.  I switched shells after reading some forums and others were having the same issue and didn't have any more problems, can't remember what I switched to though. These are all with 3" shells, I'm not sure why it's such an issue latey with certain ammo.
1/25/12 6:15 PM
Zilla2000

Had the exact same issue with my 870 express mag (3.5" shells). It would fire but not eject. I actually tried to rack it so hard I pulled the entire ejector out of the gun into the dirt. Luckily one of the 4 or 5 national Remington repair centers is in my town so I took it to them. The gun was less than a month old.

They polished the chamber and gave it back to me, still wouldn't eject. I took it back a second time and they took it right back into the shop and fixed it while I was standing there. Works like a dream now.

Supposedly a batch of 3.5" magnum barrels Remington got in had some quality issues that were not caught at the factory.
3/5/12 1:53 PM
simthefarmer

Same thing happened to me. Apparently common problem with the 3.5"

I tried cleaning it and different ammo but in the end i had to send it back to Remington for polishing.

Don't waste your time just go to a remington repair center and get it repaired under the warranty. They know about this problem.
3/8/12 2:34 PM
MojoJojo
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im going to have a look at a used 870 Express tomorrow.

Any advice what a shotgun-noob need to look out for?

3/8/12 4:02 PM
simthefarmer

MojoJojo - Im going to have a look at a used 870 Express tomorrow.

Any advice what a shotgun-noob need to look out for?

if you want to make sure that it doesn't have this specific problem,you have to fire a few shots.
It will work fine with snapcap and unfired ammo. But some fired shells might get stuck

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.