UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> pasta without sauce

8/24/10 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pasta without the traditional thick sauce is growing on me. today i made some spaghetti. All I did with it was toss it in spices and flavored olive oil and it was great. For the oil, i tossed 8 chopped garlic cloves and red pepper flakes in there, let the oil get the flavor by letting it cook for 3 minutes, then strain out the garlic and peppers. Threw in some fresh chopped oregano and prasley and let that cook for a few minutes. when the pasta is done, throw it all in the pan and toss with black pepper. I topped it with parmesean and ate the shit out of it. it is much cheaper to make than buying a jar of sauce and much better than jarred sauce.
8/26/10 3:51 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not as healthy, but it works great with butter too.

Personally, I wouldn't strain the best parts out, though.
8/26/10 8:55 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pasta cacio e pepe has been really growing on me

take a couple splashes of pasta water, and mix with romano cheese. add sauce/cheese til you get the consistency you want, add plenty of black pepper, and toss your pasta with it.
8/27/10 4:48 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CR1chard - pasta cacio e pepe has been really growing on me

take a couple splashes of pasta water, and mix with romano cheese. add sauce/cheese til you get the consistency you want, add plenty of black pepper, and toss your pasta with it.

i've been trying to make that but i can't get the cheese to not clump together.. how do you make the sauce smooth?
8/28/10 9:31 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fairly low heat, and a fair amount of stirring
9/9/10 1:48 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my pasta at home never contains meat.

maybe bacon.
9/9/10 1:09 PM
alxholic

CR1chard - fairly low heat, and a fair amount of stirring

hmm.. not working for me.. what is the consistency of the sauce suppose to be like? i wonder if i am just using too much cheese. i got the sauce to be creamy but a bit running still, not very thick, like a creamy tomato soup but not like a mac and cheese like thick sauce.
10/26/10 10:19 PM
Scott Rotem

Try this....

Toss some sun dried tomatoes and artichokes in a saute pan with some garlic and olive oil, get them nice and hot, toss with your pasta, add a little feta. So easy, and really, really good.
10/27/10 7:04 PM
jcblass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, and Black Pepper.

Done.

Or Butter, Garlic, and Parmesan Cheese.
10/29/10 1:31 PM
Sir Wurtherford C Pickelhaub III PhD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aglio Olio is great, but I agree, butter is better.

Use a good quality butter like this Irish Butter I get at Trader Joes. Find a good aged raw milk parmesan or pecorino. Ingredients matter.
11/7/10 3:28 AM
shootfightermike
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/20/11 6:04 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some good stuff on this thread.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.