UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> World Cup in Miami this Friday/Saturday

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/25/10 8:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see there are 300 competitors. CEO Jose Rodriguez said the competition will be as good at any Olympic games. I don't see the names of the top players. Am I missing something? I think the World Championships in 2 weeks has something to do with it. I will be there and give a wrap up when I return.
8/25/10 8:57 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - I see there are 300 competitors. CEO Jose Rodriguez said the competition will be as good at any Olympic games. I don't see the names of the top players. Am I missing something? I think the World Championships in 2 weeks has something to do with it. I will be there and give a wrap up when I return.

usjudo has a way of miscount the number competitors attending events i don't think the very competitors will risk getting injured for another world cup event. BTW HOW MANY WORLD CUPS ARE THERE?
8/26/10 12:58 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/26/10 5:11 PM
Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 I could see 300 competitors showing up. Outside of the USA, I don't think it will be anyone's A or B team (exception maybe for Canada).  The USA should have 56 competitors ( 4 x 14 divisions)

I would expect Canada to send 1-2 players per division. I think Brazil will likely be 10-14 given the support the USA gave their events. Where else can Puerto Rico, and Mexico get world class experience at affordable costs, so I would expect teams from them as well.

Edited because I just saw some of the players. There are some very strong players listed. Very surprised to see Isabel Fernandez at this World Cup event.

As for it being equivalent to the Olympics, I think its Jose's job to create buzz for the event. But all one has to do is look at the points given for World Cup vs Grand Prix vs Grand Slam vs World Championships and know what the level is.

I would say it should be the highest level event held on American soil outside of the 1984 and 1996 Olympics. If it isn't this year, it should be in future years.

You have to start somewhere, and I think USA Judo getting this World Cup is a very positive development. At the minimum it is a great way for our athletes to get world class experience at a domestic cost.

8/26/10 4:59 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Appreciate your comments and will get a chance to see some A level judo. Will especially be watching Eldred and Stevens. Our (Romanian) player at 73K is fighting Friday for Romania. He resumed judo after a 6 year layoff, Nicolae Ivan. Our Sensei said we needed to support this event as best we could. Had my sights set on Tokyo for the W.C. but opted for this event. Thanks agaign for your comments.
8/26/10 11:29 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The draws are up at www.ippon.org   The direct link is 217.79.182.227/www.judo-world.net/pjc/world_cup/2010_miami/tta_menue.php

According to the statistics, there are 261 competitors from 42 nations.

Brazil has 27 competitors.   Canada has 27 competitors. Argentina has 17 competitors. Australia has 16 competitors, and Dominican Republic has 12 competitors. It is good to see this type of support from those countries.  The biggest negative one could make an issue of, is the lack of Cuban competitors, but there is nothing that USA Judo could do about that.

I believe the size of the tournament and the quality of the tournament is much higher than many people thought it would be.  If the tournament runs smoothly, and the referees do a good job, then USA Judo has an inaugural event that they can be very proud of.

Lastly, best wishes to 2 of our members who are representing their country at this tournament and to our member who is representing USA Judo and SJSU.  The OCJTC crew is pulling for you. I wish I could be there.
8/27/10 5:53 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

www.ippon.org  has done a pretty good job of updating the pool sheets today. A very good example of this is the Marti Malloy and Isabel Fernandez fight.  The pool sheets were updated within a minute of me finding out that Marti won the fight.

I wonder if the Versus Channel crew is there filming the finals? USA Judo put out a news release that Miami World Cup was going to be televised back in May.
8/27/10 8:57 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hope versus shows it.. The Malloy-Fernandez fight had to be interesting.. Malloy came back to score ippon from a waza-ari defecit.

youth olympic games champion katelyn bouyssou took silver at 48kg... after all the travling across the globe, i am amazed she even competed!

Canadian men dominated 60kg and won 66kg to boot. kind of shocked that Bolen and Hashimoto did not make any headway at all.

73kg seems to have been a very interesting day for Eldred and Delpopolo... Eldred defeated Wilkomirski from Poland (again) and then lost to Tritton from Canada who recently came back from injury.
8/27/10 9:00 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marti Malloy, SJSU 57kg, won the Miami World Cup in grand fashion... finishing the Brazilian opponent for Ippon in 3 minutes!
8/27/10 9:20 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Fernandez received hansoku make from 4 passivity calls against Marti according to the USA Judo Facebook. Marti was up by the two passivity calls when Fernandez threw her for waza-ari.

The Brazilian player whom Marti defeated in the finals had placed 3rd at the Beijing Olympics.

ippon.org updated the results very late tonight.
8/27/10 9:58 PM
JoshuaResnick

i didnt see any penalties listed on the ippon.org site of their contest... im sure it was a glitch.

BTW... my estimates now have her at #12 in the world rankings and #8 in terms of London 2012 selection. =)
8/27/10 10:04 PM
JoshuaResnick

BTW.. the -73kg final was the #8 player in the world vs the #3... They are now #6 and #2.

Also competing, and placing were the #14, Wilkomirski.. 21, Delpopolo and 27, Eldred....

8/27/10 11:04 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

The 73kg division was tough. I think all the divisions ended up being much tougher than most people thought they would.  I would say the level is much higher than the El Salvador and Venezuela World Cups. This World Cup was two weeks before the Worlds.

I think I said it before, but outside of the 1984 and 1996 Olympics, this tournament is the highest rated tournament we've had on USA soil.  The first two US Opens might have been higher level competition but its never been rated as a WC event.

-78kg has 12 competitors, and 8 of them are on the WRL ranked from 14 to 96.  Kayla is the highest rated player in the division. 

It is a great opportunity for the 3 other USA Judo players to get international experience for a domestic cost. In addition, because the US Open is tomorrow, they save alot of travel expenses they would have incurred if the US Open was held at a later date.

I could see the Miami World Cup becoming one of the top World Cup events if it has better placement on the calendar next year.  Maybe one day we can merit a Grand Prix or Grand Slam event.

8/29/10 10:51 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

The US Open was contested today in the same venue as the Miami World Cup.  USA Judo made a very smart choice in hosting the US Open in combination with the World Cup. If this is indicative of the quality of the tournament when done in combination; I'm in favor of it going forward.

Here are the results and the pools.

Men

www.usjudo.org/documents/2010MensUSOpenDraws.pdf

Women

www.usjudo.org/documents/2010WomensUSOpenDraws.pdf

Some of the pools were huge, and the competition tougher than it has been in years.  The number of contestants for men's Olympic Pool divisions were:

60kg--25 competitors    66kg--26 competitors  73kg--33 competitors  81kg--26 competitors
90kg--37 competitors   -100kg--20 competitors  +100kg--11 competitors    Total Mens--178 competitors

The number if contestants for women's Olympic Pool divisions were:

48kg--17 competitors  52kg--18 competitors  57kg--20 competitors  63kg--19 competitors
70kg--10 competitors  -78kg--12 competitors   +78kg--9 competitors    Total Womens--105 competitors

8/31/10 10:27 AM
judoblackbelt

Let me say -wow, returned from Miami Sunday. I don't know where to start. The Russian Kostoev (100k)won his semi with (2 wazari) tomenages and finals with a magnificient tomenage, couldn't believe my eyes and can't tell how he did it (couldn't speak Russian to ask him to show me when I briefly talked to him to congratulate him). Emond-Canada 90K, no one scored a point on him. Lima-81K gold-Portugal. reminds me of the boxer Roberto Duran with his tenacity and agreesive style. Most improved US (male)competitor - Jacob Larsen, he is doing "ippon" judo and and the way he hipped tossed the Mongolian (who just beat Cohen in golden score) about 4 ft for ippon. Congrats to the entire US team. My favorite (US)player to watch is Delpopoplo. He pushed the Belgian in the semi's to the limit and in fact the Belgian Tichelt-hurt his back in the match and couldn't fight Tritton for gold. Tritton is one tough guy and is very physical for a 73K fighter.
8/31/10 11:21 AM
JohnSerbin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sure was an awesome event to get to watch. Malloy's throw in the finals was spectacular! The second days finals almost all ended in Ippon. This is great for an event that is going to be televised.
8/31/10 7:46 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Thanks John and judoblackbelt.  Did you guys get a chance to talk to any of the coaches or dignitaries of the foreign teams? I was wondering how they might have felt about the event and if they thought Miami World Cup would get support in the ensuing years.
8/31/10 10:38 PM
JohnSerbin

The officials from the IJF were very pleased, from what I understand. 
8/31/10 10:50 PM
JohnSerbin

One of the most interesting things I saw was the double honsokumake for a Russian and a Dominican in the 60kg division whom  each had a gi that was not in compliance. 

The referees sent the two off the mat and the IJF official came running matside to make sure the rules are followed. It seems that in a case of a double honsokumake, the match officially ends in a tie. The two were brought back out to the mat to fight a golden score (sudden death) 3:00 minute round even though they never fought a single second of a regular match against each other. The Russian threw the Dominican in like ten seconds for a score and the match was over.
8/31/10 11:09 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

So all the DR competitor had to do was show up in an IJF compliant gi, and for all eternity it would have shown  on www.judoinside.com he beat a Russian player? He must be kicking himself.

8/31/10 11:13 PM
JohnSerbin

Right. Even more Ironic, is that the Russian showed up for his next match wearing the gi that gave him the Honsokumake and got DQ'd from his next match!! Ironic and moronic at the same time. 
8/31/10 11:36 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

LMAO!  That is a great story!
9/1/10 5:54 AM
judoblackbelt

OC - the coaches were so busy with all their athletes competing and had to speak "their" language for any lengthy conversation. I think the venue would be better served by the beach. I did not care for the Doral setting (at all), it caters to golfers. Athletes and spectators want to enjoy the surroundings and you had to take a cab to do that. No extras in walking distance in 90 deg/high humidity. I wanted to add I did not see (1) hansokumake from a leg grab. I did see some counter leg grabs that "blurred the line" though.
9/15/10 7:51 PM
JSho
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gbutts - 
judoblackbelt - I see there are 300 competitors. CEO Jose Rodriguez said the competition will be as good at any Olympic games. I don't see the names of the top players. Am I missing something? I think the World Championships in 2 weeks has something to do with it. I will be there and give a wrap up when I return.

usjudo has a way of miscount the number competitors attending events i don't think the very competitors will risk getting injured for another world cup event. BTW HOW MANY WORLD CUPS ARE THERE?

a quick glance at judoinside appears to show 23 world cups, 5 grand prix and 4 grand slams for 2010.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.