UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gurgel: "I won't let Franklin fight Jon Jones"

8/25/10 8:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
donttazemebro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/25/10 8:51 PM

Really good new interview w/Jorge Gurgel. Of course it talks about his loss to KJ Noons but there is a ton of other stuff in here as well. Still listening to it personally but here are some topics/highlights:

-Jorge says Strikeforce has some responsibility to "make it right" after referee mistakes and give him another fight, even if he doesn't expect a KJ rematch

-Jorge says that fans criticize him for standing up AND not standing (who??) but that people give him shit about standing too much all the time and even his own students do now as well. lol he sounds a bit pissed as he says the part about his students.

-on mauro talking about his "career shortening" fights: "Do I look like I give a shit?"

-the plan WAS to take KJ down! In later rounds, too bad it didn't get that far

-Jorge says he WON'T allow Rich Franklin to fight Jon Jones. Says he wants Jones to make Tito cry and that Rich needs to fight older guys

-Marcus Davis in the house! Jorge says marcus is strong but not very flexible. lol

Great stuff. Like I said This goes beyond some other recent interviews with Jorge. he also claims that now speculation about gay love between him and Franklin must end with the news that he is dating Female fighter Zoila Frausto. Jorge is a funny guy. Check it out...

link to show
8/25/10 8:51 PM
donttazemebro

8/25/10 8:56 PM
piratepirate
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JG hasn't finished somebody by sub in 5 years, and mostly does the stand and wang.
I still don't beleive in the ground game.
8/25/10 9:11 PM
lostJC

LOL...his ground game is worse than his stand up.
8/25/10 9:18 PM
donttazemebro

8/25/10 9:35 PM
donttazemebro

-Jorge also says his knees are 100% and that doesn't stop him shooting for takedowns (so there goes that excuse)
8/25/10 9:41 PM
MountainMedic
566 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Do I look like I give a shit?"
excellent
8/25/10 9:51 PM
pigpen
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jorge can be frustrating(with the constant standing to fight), but I do like him
8/25/10 9:56 PM
thePostman

I haven't been a fan of Jorge Grugels since I seen him at a small fight show a few years ago where he came across very cocky, but I have to say after listening to this interview I have a lot of new found respect for him. Jorge doesn't deserve all the shit people want to give him.
8/25/10 9:59 PM
Steamfitter

If Rich was a true friend he wouldn't let Jorge fight anymore.
8/25/10 11:39 PM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol I knew it would happen sooner or later if your over 30 give it up.lol
8/25/10 11:47 PM
rfterminator
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jorge Gurgel is SO EXCITING!!!

He loves to stand and bang. He's the best at jiu jitsu. He could win every fight if he would take it to the ground. But he'd rather be exciting.

Jorge Gurgel is SO EXCITING!!!
8/25/10 11:50 PM
FSMA

MountainMedic - <i><b> "Do I look like I give a shit?"</b></i>
excellent

LOL...+1.
8/25/10 11:51 PM
JustMike
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol ^^^ Phone Post
8/26/10 12:24 AM
Canada_88
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donttazemebro - 

Rich needs to fight older guys

Very True
8/26/10 12:51 AM
BruceLeeMMAfighting
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donttazemebro -

-Jorge says he WON'T allow Rich Franklin to fight Jon Jones.

Who does he think he is. Acting like he owns Rich Franklin.
8/26/10 12:54 AM
BruceLeeMMAfighting

thePostman - I haven't been a fan of Jorge Grugels since I seen him at a small fight show a few years ago where he came across very cocky, but I have to say after listening to this interview I have a lot of new found respect for him. Jorge doesn't deserve all the shit people want to give him.

He talks a big game but can't back it up.

Didn't he get tooled by a bluebelt on the ground, Alvin Robinson or something and submitted by Cole Miller.

I think the reason he keeps it standing is because his ground isn't as good as it's made out to be. If he loses standing he can still claim to have world class jiu jitsu.

8/26/10 12:57 AM
Naughty Gorilla

He needs to fight at 145..(or less)
8/26/10 1:01 AM
BJJkilla
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BruceLeeMMAfighting - 
thePostman - I haven't been a fan of Jorge Grugels since I seen him at a small fight show a few years ago where he came across very cocky, but I have to say after listening to this interview I have a lot of new found respect for him. Jorge doesn't deserve all the shit people want to give him.

He talks a big game but can't back it up.

Didn't he get tooled by a bluebelt on the ground, Alvin Robinson or something and submitted by Cole Miller.

I think the reason he keeps it standing is because his ground isn't as good as it's made out to be. If he loses standing he can still claim to have world class jiu jitsu.

alvin was a brown when he fought florian so he might have still been a brown or maybe a black belt when he fought gurgel.

gurgel's ground game is good but the problem is that he fights in a division where most guys are much bigger and taller than him for him to control. cole miller gave him a lot of trouble with his length and jorge ended up getting submitted.
8/26/10 1:27 AM
Jack Scagnetti

"-Jorge says he WON'T allow Rich Franklin to fight Jon Jones. Says he wants Jones to make Tito cry and that Rich needs to fight older guys"

Jones would kill Franklin.
8/26/10 4:58 AM
donttazemebro

Jorge really is a nice guy and by all accounts a great friend and a good teacher with a good gi BJJ game. He did say he was going to take noons down "later" in the fight so maybe he's weening himself off the standup by going 50/50 like a methadone addict?? lol jk

TTT for jorge
8/26/10 7:32 AM
brahmabull81
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude needs to keep his fucking political views on his politcal show..... Jesus, he was on about that Rich shit again when its really none of his fucking business, let alone his place to judge, ON AN MMA SHOW.

Does he hate the UFC for a bunch of legit reasons or is he just Ragin Against the Machine?

Other than that, good stuff.
8/26/10 7:47 AM
sparkuri

Jorge Gurgel vs. Wallid Ismael

MAKE IT HAPPEN !!
8/26/10 8:11 AM
Naughty Gorilla

Tell me i'm powerful
8/26/10 8:32 AM
solidsnake
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skull Punch Fightwear, t-shirt guy
The man is really close to his students. I remember being on the sideline during one of his seminars and when he walked in, he knew everybody by first name and went around to say hello. Some he had probably only met once and not seen the rest in months. It was damn impress!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.