UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Graph-tech string savers

8/27/10 1:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DonkeyKick215
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who uses them and what do you think of them?
9/1/10 4:40 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer steel trees with Big Bends Nut Sauce keeping them lubed.

9/2/10 8:49 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, not the disc-type pictured. Stamped steel(nickle or chrome plated) or barrel type are better. You don't want edges for the string to pass under, only smooth transitions.

These might be the best type. Smooth contact surface, low mass, easily adjustacle height. Add just a bit of lube and they would stay in tune nicely.
9/4/10 5:21 PM
DonkeyKick215
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks RX- the master builder.

I was talking about the bridge saddles. I bought a set for an old Peavey Patriot that I use as a backup because it is so light and the super ferrite pickups sound like P-90s on steriods.

The pot metal bridge saddles are junk and seem to be worn and binding on the hi e and b strings. I used some 0000 metal sandpapter and made a lube out of vaseline mixed with graphite.

For the next string change I am putting these saddles on. I hope they fit. I got the import size because the Patriot has a slim neck
9/4/10 8:27 PM
Racer X

Assuming you got the right size, good for you. The saddles are the best thing to happen to string breakage, period.

9/5/10 1:25 AM
DonkeyKick215

RX,
Is this silly?

I am thinking of putting 3 saddles on the Patriot and 3 saddles on another guitar. Both guitars on the ebg strings.

??
9/6/10 10:12 PM
DonkeyKick215

Since the e,b,g, strings are most prone to breakage

Im guessing there could be a diffenence in tone if I did it
9/7/10 7:40 PM
Racer X

I don't think you'd mind the difference in tone. Try it out on one guitar first, sounds like a good idea.
9/7/10 9:17 PM
DonkeyKick215

TY brother

Ill get back to you on how it comes out
9/9/10 10:39 PM
DonkeyKick215

I did one saddle and left the others strung. I used the used string to compare.

The string with the single graphtech saddle was noticibly more punchy and had more sustain. It was like the b string was touching a wet blanket.

I will have to change all 6
9/10/10 11:12 AM
Racer X

Cool!

I have had a similar experience with some saddles, usually chrome plated pot metal is my guess.

Proof that saddles can be a real weak spot in tone. Tremolo blocks can have a big effect on tone and sustain as well. There are people selling milled steel and even titanium($$)  bridge parts. At $149.00 a set for titanium saddles I think I'd go Graph-tech.
10/4/10 10:22 PM
DonkeyKick215

I put them on another guitar as well. 37 bucks well spent

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.