UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Dry skin after starting bjj?

8/27/10 4:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing bjj for a long time and I've always had what seemed like dry skin all over me. My face, chest, and back had these patches of skin that looks dry and darker than the surrounding skin. After a shower, it get's really dry and itchy.

Recently stopped for a month(trained purely judo) and it all cleared right up. Used same soaps, used same gi, still grappled and was like WTH. Recently started bjj again and it's all coming back.

Any info on what/why this is?
8/27/10 6:58 PM
gsx_r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lite mat rash maybe?
8/28/10 3:57 AM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naw, I'm not sure bout that. Although it is red right after a shower, then dries up later.

I've had this for a year or two and once I stopped bjj it cleared right up. Now I'm back to training bjj, it's slowly coming back. My back, face, chest and neck. People always tells me to either wash my neck(because it looks dirty) or stay out of the sun(because it looks like it's peeling).
9/15/10 1:46 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could look into tea tree oils. I use tea tree soap and sometimes use organic oils. If you're spending as more than 20hrs a week on the mat, you might be dehydrating your skin. At least that was my case. I'm all good now.
9/15/10 4:35 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe it's the extra showers that do it?
5/29/11 11:04 PM
armbarring
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea i get extra dry. I solved this problem.

Lotion. Youll thank me later.
6/10/11 10:46 AM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a tube of antibiotic cream and a tube of hydrocortizone. I have been using these for years. My bag always has these in them.

After the shower dab as needed in the red or irritaed places. I use the antibiotic alot more than the hydro.

When you roll you are rubbing the outer layer of the skin away (epidermis). You need to apply antibiotic cream to these specific places to heal and prevent bacteria from getting into the next layer of skin (dermis, also called the cutis)
6/10/11 10:47 AM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Irule - My feet are the worst when training in Muay Thai and BJJ. They constantly become dry and cracked. I've actually started to apply vaseline to my feet and wear socks while I sleep. This has helped quite a bit actually.

this is really close to what you are doing with the anti cream. The kind I get is textured alot like vaseline.
6/23/11 1:09 AM
VARIOUS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.