UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Anton Geesink passes away.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/27/10 6:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
greenhornet
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From MMA.tv news

Judo legend Anton Geesink dead at age 76

The death of Judo legend Anton Geesink (April 6, 1934 - August 27, 2010) was announced on the Voetbal International' television show. Anton's son called him half an hour before the live broadcast of the television show. Anton spent around 3 weeks on the intensive care, before he died. The 10th degree black belt won an Olympic gold medal in Judo in the open weight category at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
8/27/10 6:55 PM
greenhornet
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sensei Geesink was my sensei's sensei. We have all sorts of pictures of him in our club with my sensei. Pretty big dude & knew is judo too. If I can remember any stories I'll post them.

Just remembered one, he was the reason that we now see blue gis. He introduced the color gis to judo. Originally, they tried yellow, red, black & green. He felt it was important to be able to tell the difference in players. He had to go on TV in Japan to debate the old school judokas who said they should not stray from tradition. Geesink replied that Kano didn't wear the traditional white gi. The old school judoka thought about his logic, bowed in concession & we now have different color gis. (In the Kodokan you still must wear white gi)
You have ignored this user.
8/27/10 6:55 PM
greenhornet

Edited: 08/27/10 6:55 PM
Dupe
8/27/10 8:52 PM
JoshuaResnick
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, it was not that simple of a thing. trust me when i say he did not "win" any concessions from the Japanese on the blue gi thing... The "gi" that Kano sometimes wore was not a "gi" at all.. it was a traditional Japanese gown. A way to show that Judo does not need a Judogi to be effective.

Geesink's ploy also led him to having Okano wear a blue gi in a practice session once, while Okano was the National Coach for Japan, and then had the photos published (or they were somehow leaked) and the AJJF/Kodokan then dismissed Okano from his post.

Friendship can burn as well as benefit at times.

But.. yes, the Judo world has just suffered the loss of a major figurehead. I hope the Kodokan awards him a promotion posthumous..
8/28/10 1:35 AM
Koga
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Promotion to what if he was a 10th Dan? One of the all-time judo greats.
8/28/10 4:36 AM
JSho
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was an IJF 10th Dan not a Kodokan 10th dan (no non Japanese has ever been awarded 10th dan by the Kodokan).
8/29/10 1:06 PM
JoshuaResnick
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you have to understand that the kodokan is ultimately rather racist..... and bigoted... even toward their own.

look at Okano's rank.
10/7/10 8:46 PM
m.g
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R.I.P
10/10/10 7:29 AM
matoki
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.