UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Kevin Young Story

8/27/10 8:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Punk Dobbs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sent this story to Osaekomi earlier today and thought I'd share it with the group:

So I told you about Kevin Young. Tough ass, nationally ranked OU wrestler and judo blackbelt under Pat. Had a hot Persian wife who bellydanced too. I also told you about how I'd try to get the better guys from the Judo PE class at the University to come to the real club. One of these PE guys is still a great friend of mine. Before he ever made it out to the real club he called me one day and demanded to know who this guy was that showed up in the PE room and kicked his ass.

It wasn't during a class or anything but my buddy had his younger brother (who knew nothing) in a spare gi and was just practicing throws with him by themselves in the judo/PE/gymnastics room. Some guy walks by and got all interested in what they were doing. He kept asking questions about the throws, the gi's and the sport. Was really enthusiastic. He asked if they could teach him a throw so my buddy (a white belt) shows him Osoto or something. The guy tries it a few times and gets all excited over it. Then he asks if they can spar.

He proceeded to slam the holy shit out of my buddy over and over and would always ask in a concerned voice right before launching him, "Would something like this work?" To his credit, my buddy knew he was being hustled after the first throw but kept his composure and was laughing about it. The guy threw him a bunch of times, shook his hand, thanked him for the judo lesson and left. He never copped to who he was and just maintained that he got lucky with the throws.

My buddy knew I'd know who the guy was so when he described him to me I just said "Yep, that was Kevin Young. Good thing you kept your cool."
8/27/10 8:58 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotta love stories like those.
8/29/10 7:41 AM
Osaekomi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A dojo on the campus of the Boomer Sooners led by Pat Burris.
Total potency!
8/29/10 11:44 PM
Punk Dobbs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would have been cool but the dojo was off campus. The on campus dojo was just an intro to judo type of class for PE credit.

Lots of wrestlers would see the on campus practice and come try it out too. OU wrestlers would usually kick the shit out of anyone in the PE class, including me in the beginning. I eventually got to where I could hang with the 118 pounders:)
8/30/10 11:11 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool story!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.