e·shmim
the·heavens
?????
u·ath
and·»
 ??????
e·artz
the·earth

has todo with the word below in the verse its not translated as a word the first time...why is that?
???
ath
8/29/10 4:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm seeing a lot of weird symbols everywhere. Which word am I looking at?

Bereshit bara et Elohim et hashamayim veet ha'aretz

Beginning/Origin created the Creator Being/Source of All Power the Heavens and the Earth/Universe

Kabbalistic interp

At the start of the musical, the Source of All Powers created Order and Chaos from the Void.
8/29/10 5:39 PM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How does the Kabbalistic interpretation work? Is it something like a modern paraphrase? It reminds me of the begining of the Silmarillion.
8/29/10 6:16 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe that particular translation is dated to 200 BCE, so long before Tolkien but I can see the similarity now that oyu mention it. Kabbalists were Jewish mystics. They were the ones who studied angels, demons, spirits, performed exorcisms, shamanistic rites, etc. They believed that according to the Pardes model of study, a hidden spiritual meaning of every line of the Torah existed. They dedicated many hours of study in the use of language, prayer, meditation, etc. to find the spiritual meanings behind the original words.

Of course if you are fasting, channeling a prophet in meditation while looking at the Bible and spending your days trapping demons.... I have real questions about your connection to reality. That said, the Kabbalists (like their Sufi counterparts in Islam) innovated Judaism to include many traditions that otherwise would never have arisen.

MS
8/30/10 4:42 PM
toelocku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after elohim the word 'ath' is not translated to a word in all the translations i have. the second'u-ath' is trans. 'and', but is silent the first time and is not translated throughout the OT. If God put it there it there for a reason.
8/30/10 9:24 PM
martial_shadow

Et performs a function in Heb. similar to 'the' in English. The reason the second is translated as and is it is ve'et literally 'and the'. I'm quite certain most translations include the word the infront of the nouns so it is translated. It would be more interesting to see it in a language where such terms don't exist (like Mandarin I'm told)
9/2/10 4:38 PM
toelocku

some of my translations don't translate this...i'll look into it. thanks
9/2/10 9:29 PM
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you are asking about the "eth" spelled ?? aleph-tav (strongs #H853). It points to an object (i.e., "the heavens"). Usually it is added to the beginning of the object it is pointing to (i.e., "theheavens"). The real mystery is: why is the aleph-tav sometimes isolated from the object it is pointing to???? I believe the sages have pondered this question for some time now. Any ideas?
9/9/10 10:28 AM
insultcomicdog

Let me translate for you all:

Poop.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.