UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Mysterious Newaza

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/29/10 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kumikata
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw this on the UnderGround. It looks like it is actual competition footage. Interesting newaza transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfI22dZ979A
8/31/10 10:41 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never seen that tecknique, it seems that "uke" is late to defend (if at all) and allows the attack to progress. The interesting part is where he hooks the left arm with his left leg at the beginning of the tecknique. Would be interested in hearing what other judokas have to say.
8/31/10 7:43 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 I've never seen it in competition, and I've never seen it taught at the dojo. After he hooked the arm, I thought he was going to set up an okuri eri jime.  Did not see that pin coming.
8/31/10 10:20 PM
CyborgRoyce
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allcloser - Great video. Props to CyborgRoyce for finding it.

No worries, props to my Judo club's blog posting it

Actually before I saw that video I had visualised myself pulling off a technique similar to that in training but obviously it's much easier said than done.
8/31/10 11:41 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i actually think that might have became illegal during the osaekomi...

i know you cannot pull uke's hand up his spine like a hammerlock... now, if this would be thought of as a hammer lock then it is indeed illegal.

as for the submission, i've never been in this submission and never done it... but from what i see, it looks like all the pressure is on the shoulder, or neck, which would also make it illegal in Judo.
8/31/10 11:58 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/10 12:00 AM
Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 I think you make a great point, as I was wondering about that myself. I saw the technique as putting pressure on the shoulder and not the elbow.

I guess the referee believed uke was tapping from the pin.

PS.  read John's story about the Russian 60kg player on the Miami World Cup thread. Funny stuff.

9/1/10 12:01 AM
CyborgRoyce
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah but how is it any different from Ude-Garame really?
9/1/10 2:24 AM
FatBuddha
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've trained with a lot of teachers over the years and the only teachers who I saw teach a version of that move were Pedro Sauer and Relson Gracie. Did I think I'd ever see a competition example of utilizing the move with such proficiency? hell no. lol.
9/2/10 7:59 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ude garami will break your elbow first.. shoulder second.. that's how this is different.
9/4/10 5:39 AM
BJJWRESTLER
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question for Joshua Resnick-How does Ude Garami get the elbow 1st? not trolling,whenever I would hit that in training,always got the shoulder,not the elbow.My background is primarily BJJ,but before BJJ,I did 2.5 years in Judo
9/4/10 5:41 AM
BJJWRESTLER
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a "tweak" in Judo,to get the elbow,since it is against Judo rules to attack the shoulder? By the way,respect your thoughts on the forum here.
9/4/10 6:40 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Wrestler-Your question is very legit. Many times I have asked myself the same question.
9/4/10 8:06 PM
Punk Dobbs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't remember the match or the event but I know I've seen a world or Olympic match with a Japanese woman who pulls off a nasty looking hammerlock/ude garami and gets awarded ippon.
9/6/10 1:48 AM
JoshuaResnick

if you watch the videos on youtube about this armlock, by whatever name you call it, then youll see very few injuries to the shoulder itself while seeing quite a few examples of the elbow breaking.

when this armlock is done right, the shoulder is immobilized completely... that means it cannot be broken or damaged severely... it is the elbow that is being forced to move at a weak angle, this that is what breaks.
9/7/10 2:35 PM
None So Blind
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure someone can dig up that vid that floated around here a few years ago - some kid got matched up against a BB in a no-gi BJJ competition, kid had less than 6 months experience. The BB slapped ude garami on him hard and fast, and you could see the elbow snap (and of course the kid started screaming). Actually, now that I think about it, it may have been the arm itself that snapped, just above the elbow.

Lots of ugly recriminations, no surprise - the kid needed surgery on his arm, and the BB was by turns very remorseful and then angry that everyone jumped on him.

Anyone remember/able to find that one?
9/10/10 5:27 AM
BJJWRESTLER

When I was training Judo,a Blackbelt taught me a version of Ude Garama,where you slide the arm out in a half moon shape ,then down. I did catch some people with it.
9/10/10 10:52 AM
judoblackbelt

I was taught to pull (your elbow/uke's elbow) into the side of uke and and then apply ude garami. pressure is all on the elbow using this method vs pressure with the elbow away from uke's body and the shoulder is involved.
9/10/10 6:35 PM
BJJWRESTLER

Yes,sounds like the same lock

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.