UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Anyone own a Cane Corso

11/18/11 1:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigEyedFish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow thats awesome!  I know how you feel.  Its going to be a long and anxious road.  One thing I want to really reinforce to you - get pet health insurance for your dog until at least he is physically mature (around 3 years).  My dog just got back from surgery on a torn cruciate ligament.  $3300 with 80% coming back to me because of my policy.  

This breed can have other health problems too like with their eyes and may need a corrective procedure - this kind of stuff happens to the best of Corso stock.  Trust me on this, if your dog needs something, you want to be in a position to give it to him no matter what.  

Got a name picked out?  I bet you do lol
11/18/11 3:31 PM
BigEyedFish

Good for you.  Im telling you, get the insurance at least for a couple of years.  Think of a scenario where youre presented with choosing between paying a $3000 bill or having your dog live in pain every day in front of your eyes.  

And FYI, just so you know (and not that it matters) but Doctore is also what they call Lawyers in modern day Italy.  Corsi are majestic and larger than life so they need larger than life names.  I think youre on the right track  :) 

Post pics as soon as the breeder puts em up!

11/18/11 3:41 PM
BigEyedFish

here is a great discussion on here where I post links to raw feeding resources.  Check it out when you have time.  

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts_updsub&forum=2&thread=1903084&page=1&pc=186 
12/3/11 1:35 PM
BigEyedFish

haha cool.  Was just thinking about this thread the other day
12/23/11 2:08 AM
BigEyedFish

Nice looking pup!!

I love the fawns.  Ive been saying lately that my next one will be a fawn.  Cant wait to watch him grow up - which BTW seems to happen in a matter of weeks they grow so fast.  
1/10/12 2:00 PM
BigEyedFish

GORGEOUS
1/10/12 2:00 PM
BigEyedFish

I said it before Ill say it again - get health insurance for your pet.  Trust me.  
1/10/12 2:01 PM
BigEyedFish

at least for the first year of its life
1/10/12 9:35 PM
BigEyedFish

you will love working with him.  These dogs are nothing short of amazing and easy to train.  They want to please and protect you.  You are gonna love it!
1/17/12 1:27 AM
Zen
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread.

Need some help, cause I want to do the right thing for my family and my dog.

My GF, has it in her head that she wants a cane corso after researching dogs online for a couple of weeks. I think they are beautiful dogs but I have concerns.

1) We live in a condo without a big yard. We have a small yard. We would be able to walk or run daily and have a sidewalk, grass right out our front door and a huge park 1/2 mile away.

2) We have 2 kids, 2 and 12.

3) I've never trained a dog. I would probably pay for training, what is the average cost?

4) What is the temperment of this breed? From what I've read they are very loyal to family but aren't always fond of strangers.

5) Health, I know mastiffs and all large breeds are more prone to health issues. How much is insurance, how do you research to know you are buying a pup from a good breeder? I will be checking out canecorso.com

We are still in the beginning of stages of finding the right breed for our family,I just want to make the right decision.

Thanks for any help and I'll continue to do research on my own, I've just seen this breed discussed here and know the OG is a great resource.
1/17/12 10:54 AM
BigEyedFish

Zen, please see replies:

1) It is not a big deal per se that you dont have a big yard but here is the thing:  you MUST walk your dog really good a couple times a day.  Especially as a puppy (which lasts two years so far as Ive seen) or he will tear your house up with stored up energy.   The other concern of a townhouse is that these dogs bark alot if they see or hear  anything near the house.  They are very keen to pick up on anyone near the house.  Especially if you have windows, your dog will want to warn anyone or any animal that even comes close.  Not sure how thick your walls are...

2) Im not sure what to tell you about two in tact males.  I have a female tiny boston terrier and the dogs get along very well.  Talk to a breeder who is familiar with the temperament of the bloodlines to get better info on this.  

3) Petsmart training is shit. IMHO you should get your dog into a puppy class and not do privates.  Socilaizing these dogs is very important and you only have about a 9 month window to properly socialize a dog.  I do not believe that private training has the double sided value that learning in a class where there are distractions, people, and other animals.  One thing is for sure, do not even think of getting a corso without doing ongoing obedience training.  When these dogs mature, you MUST be able to be in control.  My puppy class was $190 for 12 weeks.  Once she graduated from her basic cirriculum, we pay $400/year to train ongoing intermediate which is like a gym membership - they hold classes 5x a week and we can go to as many as we want.  We try to make it to them all.  Everyplace is different.  

4)  These dogs are great with people who you are great with.  In other words, in your home, they are very keen on picking up on the vibe when there is a welcomed visitor and they are fine for the most.  But they are very aloof of strangers.  This means that if youre walking and someone comes too close or is presenting a posture that is a little imposing, your corso will let that person know what he is in for if he comes closer.  Same goes for in the house.  Visitors are greeted with hellfire, until your dog knows, or you tell him, that the situation is ok.  This is an excellent watchdog and what comes with that is aloofness of strangers.  They are suspect of everyone until you tell them otherwise, or they know the person ie: friends and family.  

5) They are prone to things like eye conditions (entropian, cherry eye), as well as hip dysplasia and ligament problems.  Get on Cane corso.com and go to the BBB section to see feedback on breeders.  Talk to the community.  Message me - I think I have a decent grasp on all the breeders in the world for this breed.  

Above all:  GET INSURANCE FOR YOUR DOG.  It saved me thousands this year.  I pay $35 a month.  
1/18/12 11:18 AM
Zen
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great info, when we are looking for a breeder I will be asking you guys for some help.

This is such a beautiful breed, I'm just worried about the health problems like hip dysplasia with the research I've been doing.

It's almost a little scary.
1/18/12 11:43 AM
BigEyedFish

its very scary.  Things like eye conditions are virtual crapshoots that are even tough to rule out with the best of blood lines.  Hence the essential insurance component.  
1/18/12 5:55 PM
Zen

Are there any stats out their on what % of CC have serious health problems? I'm more worried about the mental strain on the pup and my family than the financial because I would definitely get pet insurance.
1/18/12 6:00 PM
BigEyedFish

Not that I know of.  Id get on canecorso.com forum and poke around.  

There are a lot of breeds and mutts that have significantly less health issues than corsos do IMHO
1/20/12 12:08 PM
BigEyedFish

lol I hear ya RD.  We drove 6 in snow to get ours.  Best drive home evaaaaar!  What a day for you!!!!
1/20/12 12:09 PM
BigEyedFish

bring a little blanket or towel cause the little guy is gonna sleep most of the way home..
1/20/12 12:49 PM
Firecrap
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pet insurance sounds smart.  A friend of mine has a english bulldog and it got cherry eye.  Cost him 600 to have it fixed.  Within a month it returned.   Looks like he may be out another 600.
1/20/12 12:56 PM
BigEyedFish

IM telling you right now.  Do not get a corso without insurance.  Please trust me on this.  
1/20/12 1:12 PM
BigEyedFish

popping the eye back in really isnt a good strategy.  Ive actually had a few friends that have dealt with it and in the end had to get the surgery.  My dog had entropian in both eyes and had to get it fixed.  $2500 right there that came back to me.  

I trust my breeder but some things just cant be ruled out with good bloodlines and the corso is the type of breed that is prone to some of these conditions.  Get insurance.  There is nothing worse than seeing your dog in pain and you not being able to help.  
1/28/12 11:23 AM
BigEyedFish

he looks great!  Look forward to watching him grow.  He will be a puppy for what seems like a few weeks  :( 
2/19/12 11:01 AM
BigEyedFish

Gorgeous.  Amazing how quickly they change as pups, isnt it?  I swear we used to wake up the next day and say that our pup looked different than just the day before.  
2/21/12 9:34 AM
BigEyedFish

haha how did you know?  Not sure why I was banned.  Almost 2 weeks....another mod told me there was no record of the incident so who knows what that was all about.   

Nice crop job on the ears, btw.  So many times I see vets butcher poor pups.  Does it ever change the look of the pup tho - after the crop is when you get your first glimpse on how your dog will start to look like as an adult.  
2/21/12 9:35 AM
BigEyedFish

I like that you went with the fuller crop too, like my dog.  A lot of people go with the tight crop because it makes to dog look like a 'fighting dog' - which is silly....
2/22/12 3:42 PM
Firecrap
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That guy is quite a looker.  I thought black was the best color but that guy is growing on me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.