UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> My Alternate Tuning Phase

9/5/10 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do any of you guys that have played for a while NOT play in standard tuning anymore?

I ask because I started getting into alternate tunings about 2 years ago and I cannot go back to standard tuning anymore. It doesnt interest me at all. Its like I dont feel like anymore can be done in standard (either E or dropped D for that matter) that is remotely interesting or unique. It just bores the hell out of me.

Right now, I have an unhealthy obsession with playing in BGDGAD on a classical guitar. That has been my primary tuning now for like 6 months. I've popped out of the tuning on a couple occasions, but I go right back the next day.

Im just curious if anyone stays in alternate tunings or has gone through a similar period in their playing. I just find it interesting the little phases you can go through on an instrument, though this one has gone on for years now and I dont know if it will ever end.
9/6/10 3:31 PM
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I play out of tune frequently, does that count?
9/8/10 4:21 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nostripewhite - I play out of tune frequently, does that count?

i mean intentionally!
9/8/10 11:30 PM
nostripewhite

Oh.

I've only been playing a year. I was going to tune down and try some Iommi stuff, but at this point I think getting my mechanical and technical skills down is more important.

Back to 'Wasting Love' for me.
9/9/10 9:07 AM
The Kangaroo

nostripewhite - Oh.

I've only been playing a year. I was going to tune down and try some Iommi stuff, but at this point I think getting my mechanical and technical skills down is more important.

Back to 'Wasting Love' for me.

im not talking about de-tuning, rather alternate tunings
9/10/10 11:27 AM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really.. just detuning.. I usually keep my 7 string in Bb and I have a 6 string that I keep in C#.  There's a few songs I play here and there with alternate tuning, but I usually just go back and forth as needed.  
9/29/10 11:40 PM
FightMeI'mIrish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What king of stuff do you do in BGDGAD? I play classical, what kind of chord shapes do you use?
10/3/10 3:19 AM
El Maquina

Most of the stuff I want to play(Dufour, Mckee) isn't in standard tuning, so I'm out of it more than I'm in it.
10/6/10 3:39 PM
Rawbass

As long as you don't play in BAGDAD....uh, attempt at a joke there.
10/7/10 1:44 AM
El Maquina

^ha
10/11/10 12:29 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Rawbass - As long as you don't play in BAGDAD....uh, attempt at a joke there.

Down 5 semitones on the 6th string?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.