UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> A snapshot of Tom Lawlor’s motivation

9/8/10 11:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/08/10 3:14 PM
Boston Herald, Staff Writer

Snapshot of Lawlor’s motivation

Tom Lawlor doesn’t need to search far for extra motivation going into his next fight with Patrick Cote at UFC 121 in October.

Every time he looks at his phone he’s motivated.

Anytime he goes to make a call or send a text he sees an image of himself beat up from his last loss against Joe Doerksen at UFC 113. The second-round submission came after Lawlor dominated and nearly finished his opponent in the first.

It was similar to the 27-year-old’s previous fight, a split decision loss to Aaron Simpson, where he hurt his opponent badly in the first round.

The Swansea native and current Florida resident has shown he can hang in there with the middleweights of the UFC but finds his back up against the wall heading into October’s matchup with Cote, a former No.1 contender.

“This one’s kind of do or die, I’m not even looking at it as him being a bigger fight,” Lawlor said. “People always say a battle against themselves, `I’m not fighting against an opponent, I’m fighting against my own inner demons,’ and everything else like that but this is a situation as a fighter for the first time I feel like that. It is more of a battle of me against myself and going out there showing I can do it, and basically not screw it up or give it away like I did my last two fights.”

Lawlor arrived in Boston for the week of UFC 118 and the UFC Fan Expo. He’s since enjoyed training at some of the area’s best gyms - Lauzon’s MMA in Bridgewater, Tim Burril’s in Providence - and he even worked out with Shawn Tompkins at Boston’s TapOut Gym.

Known for having some of the best weigh-in routines and UFC walkouts, this middleweight joker is still in good spirits.

“If anyone wants to know why I’m up here, I’m `getting into’ my opponents from now on. I’ve been eating Tim Horton’s every morning and started to pop my collar,” Lawlor said. “Joe Lauzon has also been wearing a kangol and holding mitts for me.”

(more…)

9/8/10 11:38 AM
torquemada
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope Lawlor gets a win. This is a do or die fight for him, but mna, he brings it. Name a boring Filthy Tom fight.

DFW, if you're lurking, this man sells PPV's. No lay n pray here. I've never skipped buying a PPV Filthy Tom was fighting on.
9/8/10 11:52 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lawlor is a cool dude.  Hoping he looks great against Cote.
9/8/10 11:52 AM
GaymidaGaydan
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - Hope Lawlor gets a win. This is a do or die fight for him, but mna, he brings it. Name a boring Filthy Tom fight.

DFW, if you're lurking, this man sells PPV's. No lay n pray here. I've never skipped buying a PPV Filthy Tom was fighting on.

Fact.

Tom lawler is the truth...

His fight vs simpson is one reason the scoring system in MMA is so fucked up.
9/8/10 11:53 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - 

9/8/10 11:54 AM
OscarG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom talks about his possible weigh-in shenanigans vs Cote
9/8/10 11:56 AM
EveryDayNormalGuy
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we get a pic/vid of Creepy Joe holding the mitts in a kangol... LOL
9/8/10 11:57 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really expected to see a pic of Seth in a loin cloth.
9/8/10 3:10 PM
Tom Lawlor
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey Mark Daniels, I'm 27.
9/8/10 3:16 PM
Mark_Daniels

Boston Herald, Staff Writer
Tom Lawlor -  hey Mark Daniels, I'm 27.
Sorry Tom! That's what I get for listening to your Wikipedia page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lawlor

9/8/10 3:16 PM
mofugra
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy Zimmerman -  Really expected to see a pic of Seth in a loin cloth.

9/8/10 3:19 PM
Chris
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
 ttt
9/8/10 3:33 PM
UrineTrouble
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
9/8/10 3:40 PM
ShanTheMan
653 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

27? Dude you are old, maybe just chill and collect social security, while we still have it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.