UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JZ Cavalcante vs Josh Thomson at Strikeforce 10/9

9/8/10 8:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- THOMSON VS. JZ SET FOR STRIKEFORCE OCT. 9
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

Fighting in enemy territory is nothing new for Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante after years of fighting in Japan, but now the American Top Team fighter will step into a similar situation as he faces Josh Thomson in his hometown of San Jose on Oct 9 as the two lightweights are set to square off in Strikeforce.

The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday by Cavalcante's manager, Alex Davis, who spoke with MMAWeekly Radio about the match-up.

"It's a very good fight, I think it's a great fight for JZ," Davis said about the fight.

Cavalcante (15-3-1) comes to Strikeforce after defeating Katsunori Kikuno in his last fight in July for Dream. It was a long road back for the Brazilian who had to deal with several injuries to his knee before coming back.

Previously ranked as a top five lightweight, Cavalcante hopes to re-earn that placement in the division and it starts with his October bout against former Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson.

more here:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=12542&z=13

card so far:

-Champ Nick Diaz vs. K.J. Noons (for welterweight title)
-Champ Sarah Kaufman vs. Marloes Coenen (for female 135-pound title)
-Josh Thomson vs. Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante
-Matt Lindland vs. Luke Rockhold

very good fight
9/8/10 9:03 PM
smth416
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome fight I'll take Thomson probably decision.
9/8/10 9:06 PM
MMAsurvival
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeem vs. Antonio Silva would be a nice addition to this card.
9/8/10 9:19 PM
Grantman
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before I saw Thomson stuggle with Healy I would have picked him. However, I saw Thomson gas in the second round pretty bad whereas he went balls to the wall the whole fight with Melendez.

Good fight, i was hoping they would have Thomson facy fancy pants because of their back talking
9/8/10 9:27 PM
Rib Crusher

i hope jz breaks his face in because thompson always says some stupid shit.
9/9/10 12:04 AM
Titanium Rhino
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's about time. This is a great fight. JZ by TKO in the 2nd.
9/9/10 12:13 AM
shibbyguy

very good card.
9/9/10 12:42 AM
MJM1912

Great fucking fight.
9/9/10 12:46 AM
JimmersonzGlove
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome matchup. JZ has really fought a murderers row. He deserves a tune up fight more than almost anyone in the sport.
9/9/10 12:48 AM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, awesome matchup!
9/9/10 12:51 AM
mexican jujitsu
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JZ all day. Hope to see him and fancy go at it for a title shot.
9/9/10 12:51 AM
cormano_wild

Hope JZ is back to his previous form. JZ by KO
9/9/10 12:53 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great match-up. Should be an exciting fight.

Rib Crusher - i hope jz breaks his face in because thompson always says some stupid shit.

What 'stupid shit' has he said?
9/9/10 12:54 AM
JimmersonzGlove
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - Great match-up. Should be an exciting fight.

Rib Crusher - i hope jz breaks his face in because thompson always says some stupid shit.

What 'stupid shit' has he said?

Dont feed the trolls.
9/9/10 12:59 AM
BzGrappla

Thomson wins this.
9/9/10 5:47 AM
Fight! UK Online
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK, Online Editor
Great fight and the card is looking really good too.
9/9/10 12:04 PM
fightfan531
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really good card so far... diaz/noons 2 and thomson/jz both great pick'em fights.

9/9/10 12:10 PM
Loves2GiveHeddy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go JZ!

9/9/10 1:38 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great fight
9/9/10 3:27 PM
palerider101
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAsurvival - Overeem vs. Antonio Silva would be a nice addition to this card.

dreaming. but ur right it would be nice
10/7/10 8:48 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who else got picks on this?

Sherdog i think had a good look saying JZ seems to have lost some speed from his injuries though he still has his power but that Thomson who has also had his share of his injuries still seems to have his polish and that he is able to maintain his style of tehcnical striking and wrestling/td defense.

Thomson has submitted BJJ BB Daisuke Sugie (with a sick kneebar iirc) but JZ no slouch either at the jits game.

Both guys are pretty rounded, JZ went to his grappling to exploit a weakness against Kikuno who was outstriking him though Kikuno is no joke either and is also quite unorthodox.

Both are pretty big at LW, Thomson is taller.

I just havent enough of Thomson to really make a good prediction. It should be competitive though but Sherdog noted Thomson is more like to win should there be a dec, JZ has more finishing power.
10/7/10 11:44 PM
JimmersonzGlove

This is one of the hardest cards to make picks on....all 4 main fights are a pick em IMO.
10/8/10 12:08 AM
Wasa-B

be cool if we see the winner of this vs winner of Melendez/Alvarez if that gets made.
10/8/10 12:50 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
876 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm rooting hard for Thompson, I was able to speak to him for a few mins at my cousin's wedding, real approachable and humble...War Thompson!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.