UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> JUDO Worlds 2010 - Brackets & Live Streams

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/11/10 12:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCJudoTrngCtr
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/10 12:28 AM
Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 The good news first.  Nick DelPopolo is in the Pool A semi finals. He throws Liu for ippon with tomoe nage. The bad news is that its still not the pool finals,  I was one off.

Michael Eldred loses to Isaev by yuko.  In the 4th exchange, Isaev catches Michael with a leg technique, I can't see clearly.  It looks to me like Michael is able to spin completely out of the throw, but the referee disagrees, and he awards yuko.  Michael fought very tough the rest of the match, but didn't come close to scoring.

I think Michael proved that he does belong at these Championships, and I really like his prospects. He looks like he can be pushed all over the mat, but I swear this guy can't be thrown cleanly. I think he will surprise a lot of people going forward.

Edit.  Nick DelPopolo (USA) goes to battle against Ugo Legrand (FRA) on Mat 2. They are on deck.

9/11/10 12:16 AM
jayflo145
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D-poop is on fire! But can he best junior sensation
Ugo Legrand?!

Mike couldn't quite connect w/ his newaza on the crafty RUS.

Marti....argh! She's still the best 57er in my book.
9/11/10 12:25 AM
rbnsn82
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cant get it to come up for some reason
9/11/10 12:33 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/10 12:51 AM
 Welcome back jflo145.  That highlight promo www.jfloproductions.com  put together for "Everything You Should Know about Seoinage" was sensational. Great work!  Did you guys do the DVD as well?

The link to the video for those who are out of the loop.

www.youtube.com/watch

9/11/10 12:36 AM
jayflo145
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey Brian! Wish I was in Tokyo don't you? Man makes me want to dust off the old gi too. :P

The DVD should be finished in the next 3 or so weeks, so Israel fans should get a great fill of his talents.

Here comes Nick, brb....
9/11/10 12:44 AM
jayflo145

damm...I've never seen the arm roll being taken that way (Legrand over Nick).

There's always repachage :/
9/11/10 12:45 AM
jayflo145

oops...or not. Have to make the 1/4's
9/11/10 12:51 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 09/11/10 12:55 AM
 And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Nick DelPopolo is defeated by LeGrand in the Pool A semis. He is pinned by Legrand with a ushiro kesa gatame.

The match started off with both trying to establish their grips. Legrand makes the first serious attack with a tomoenage, but can't turn Nick.  Nick returns the favor with a nice sode tsurikomi attack the next exchange. He follow up the next exchange with a uchimata that lifts LeGrand but  can't complete the throw. A few exchanges later, Legrand throws Depopolo with uchimata in the corner of the mat and the ref calls ippon. I come to update the thread, but while I'm looking at the feed, it shows Nick and Ugo still fighting. I don't know what happened with the call. The pin comes a few exchanges later.

For the overseas members of mma.tv ,  good luck to the competitors from your country who are still in the hunt for a medal.

9/11/10 1:04 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Hey Justin,

Looking forward to the DVD.  If the DVD matches the quality of the trailer, Israel will have a very successful product.

I was thinking about going to Tokyo with my father for the Worlds, but it wasn't meant to be this year. I didn't have a chance to go to Miami World Cup either.  I've only been overseas once in my life. Went to Ireland and England for about 10 days, 5 years ago.  Every time I have vacation, I think about all the places I can go, and then return to Hawaii. I haven't even been there for the last couple years.
9/11/10 1:08 AM
jayflo145

Next years worlds are in Paris. Maybe that could be one we shoot for? everytime I fought in the tournoi de paris I was sucking weight. So maybe next year will enjoy all the culinary treats that Paris has to offer :).
Oh yeah, and the Judo.
9/11/10 1:14 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Paris might be a good idea if the Euro keeps going down.  The wife could even get behind that idea.

Speaking of Paris, what happened with that LeGrand uchimata in the corner? I swore the ref called ippon and came over here.  Did they change the call? I didn't notice the roll either, what did he do that was different? I wasn't paying attention too closely.
9/11/10 1:37 AM
jayflo145

Edited: 09/11/10 1:39 AM
The Uchimata you're refering to (I think) just missed Wang's back to the mat.

If the Euro keeps on its downward spiral my better half and I will be animated spectators :)
9/11/10 3:16 AM
judom
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw the match of Delpopolo, he got pinned but seemed confused in the beginning that it is happening. :) This kid has future, he is explosive and had some nice deep attacks with the uchimata and with the sode- (From what I could tell).

The guy who beat him then lost to Wang, the korean 73kg world champion. Interestingly, the French arm-barred Wang and Wang was tapping I think, but it was out of bounds !

oh, and Iliadis is an animal ! (No surprises). I saw one of his matches with the Brazilian Camilo and Camilo was not protecting the over-the-back grip well at all. And got ipponned.

9/11/10 9:50 AM
JSho
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The live stream has been a bit hit and miss but it seems that it has been an excellent event.

Allcloser, do you feel any noticeable different to the tempo of fights given the changes around leg grabs etc. Any noticeable changes to player's styles (or indeed anyone missing who cannot evolve their game goven the change, i think i saw Derly's name mentioned as one example?)
9/11/10 3:43 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Woke up this morning to see Japan went 3-3 on Gold Medals yesterday.  They seem to be getting back on track after Beijing and Rotterdam.

I've been watching the split screen. I think its a great way to follow all the USA competitors.  You give up a lot of clarity in picture, and as I understand it, there is no sound with it (my speakers aren't hooked up, so I'm not getting sound anyway). 

How is the feed with commentary? Are they just focusing on one mat? For those who've looked at both, which do you prefer?

9/11/10 8:34 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 09/11/10 8:43 PM
 I thought the matches started at 6:00pm PDT, but I checked at 5:00pm and matches are going.

Aaron Kunihiro (USA) will be fighting Jereon Mooren (NED) in a 60kg match on Mat 2. He is on deck.

Kunihiro loses to Mooren by 3 shidos.

Aaron could not get anything going against Mooren. Mooren seemed to be the much stronger player, moving Aaron around the mat. Mooren attacks pretty aggressively with ashiwaza, tai otoshi, and uchimata.  The referee gave Aaron his first shido about 1 minute into the match. I was surprised how long it took to get the second. With about 1 minute left in the match, he gets his 3rd shido, and can't overcome the deficit.

Kenny Hashimoto (USA) faces Farukhruz Sobirov (TJK) in a 66kg match on Mat 2. They are up next.

Kenny comes out aggressively attacking Sobirov with ashiwaza and o uchi gari. About 45 seconds in, Sobirov gets a warning.  Sobirov comes after Kenny attacks with  a strong o soto gari, near the edge, but Kenny's counter looks stronger as they go off the mat. No score.  Sobirov comes back with his own o uchi gari, in the center of the mat, Kenny turns out of it. No score.  Now its Kenny's turn. He has Sobirov in the corner, and attacks o uchi gari.  Sobirov lands on his back, referee signals the throw is in bounds. Is it waza-ari or ippon? The referee signals waza-ari, and the match continues.  Sobirov comes after Kenny again and again with O Soto, but Kenny has his number, and is waiting to counter with his own te-guruma. Good attacks by both fighters, but no scores. The clock runs out, and Kenny is awarded the win.

Public announcement for our Canadian members. Mehmedovic is up on Mat 4 in two more matches.

Ann Shiraishi (USA) goes against Stefany Garcia (ESA) in a 48kg match on Mat 1. She is on deck.

Jeanette Rodriguez (USA) will have her work cut out for her in her opening 52kg match on Mat 3. Her opponent is Yanet Bermoy (CUB). The are second on deck.

9/11/10 9:08 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 09/11/10 10:24 PM
Shiraishi defeats Garcia by ippon. She moves to the next round.

Ann comes out aggresively and throws Garcia with a ko uchi gari.  Referee awards her waza-ari. She engages in newaza, looking for an osaekomi, but can't extricate her leg. Ref does give her time, she is unable to progress, and the referee stands them up. No complaints from me, on the time he gave her.  Next exchange, nothing much happens, and Garcia gets a warning.   They engage in newaza again, near the far referee corner, and Ann has osaekomi. On the split screen it looks like a version of kuzure kesa gatame.  There is no escape for Garcia, and the referee calls waza-ari awasete ippon.

Jeanette Rodriguez loses to Yanet Bermoy by two shidos.

Bermoy is the aggressor this match. She's attacking left o uchi, seoinage but not putting Jeanette in any danger. Jeanette has yet to put up much of an offensive.  She gets a warning.  Jeanette attacks a bit more with drop seoinage, but she's not successful with it. Bermoy uses that time to attack her in newaza. Meanwhile Bermoy is still the more aggressive fighter, coming after Jeanette and almost throws her with a left o uchi-righ seoinage combo.  More of the same in the rest of the match and Jeanette picks up another warning and she is now down by yuko.  One side judge tries to wave it off, but the other is in agreement with the ref.  The match continues without either one mounting much of an attack. Time expires, and Bermoy moves to the second round.

Angelica Delgado faced Sholpan Kaliyeva in a 52kg first round match. I missed it.  ippon.org  shows she lost by two waza-aris.

In 66kg, Brad Bolen had a first round bye.  In 60kg, Nick Kossor receives a bye and in 48kg Katelyn Bouyssou has one as well for Team USA.  They join Kenny Hashimoto, Ann Shiriashi, for the second round action.

9/11/10 9:50 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 09/11/10 9:50 PM
 Nick Kossor (USA) will be up against Abazbek Omurzakov (KGZ) in the 60kg category on Mat 3. They are on deck.

Kossor and Omurzakov rei and circle each other...for literally 40 seconds.  What are they waiting for? Do they spot herpes on each others gis?  Referee rightfully calls matte and gives out warnings to each player.  Omurzakov attacks weak tomoenage.   Not much happens. Kossor attacks with a footsweep and knocks Omurzakov down. No score.  Not much happens again, and this time the referee gives Omurzakov another warning.  He's down by yuko.   Another minute goes by and he is penalized again and Kossor is up by waza-ari.  Omurzakov makes a nice o uchi attack that knocks Kossor on his butt, and side ref asks for yuko, but nobody else agrees. Omurzakov makes an attack, hard to see what it is, Kossor counters with a technique that again, is hard to recognize and gets yuko. That's the final score in the match. Kossor off to round 3.

Brad Bolen (USA) loses to Joo-Jin Kim (KOR) on mat 4. I missed it typing up the Kossor fight. He was second on deck, so those matches ahead of him must have been quick.  ippon.org  shows Kim won by ippon in 1:14.

9/11/10 10:36 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 09/11/10 10:52 PM
 Katelyn Bouyssou (USA) loses her 48kg match to Jung Yeon Chung (KOR) on mat 4.

I missed the beginning of this match.  I come into the match and see that Chung has some scores on the board, but I cannot make them out.   Chung attacks Katelyn in the middle of the mat with a sensational uchimata.  The referee makes the correct call (ippon) and the match is over.

Chung is a tough first match for Bouyssou to draw. She's only 16 years old, and she's facing a 5x World Cup medalist.  Katelyn is one of the brightest prospects that the USA has.  Its not a question of her getting a world medal, its a question of when. That's my humble opinion.

Kenny Hashimoto (USA) loses by ippon to Masashi Ebinuma (JPN) on Mat 2.

I miss the beginning of this match as well. Why does the wife need my help moving a curio cabinet at this exact moment?  About 15 seconds into my viewing, Ebinuma hits an outstanding seoinage and ref calls ippon. Its waved off and waza-ari it is. No idea why. Ebinuma comes back and throws Kenny again, this time with what looks like ko uchi, and the second waza-ari is scored.

If Nick Kossor is going to have any company from Team USA for the 3rd round of competition, its up to Ann Shiraishi to provide it.  Her opponent is Bat-Erdene Baljinnyam (MGL).  This 2nd round 48kg match will be happening on Mat 1.

9/11/10 11:17 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Nick Kossor is the sole survivor for the USA going into the 3rd round.

Ann Shiraishi is beaten by Bat-Erdene Baljinnyam by ippon.

Baljinnyam controlled this match from the get-go.  Shiraishi seemed hesitant to grip with her. As soon as they grip on the first exchange, it looks like to me Shiraishi was attempting a sacrifice throw, but Baljinnyam is given waza-ari. Two exchanges later, Baljinnyam throws Shiraishi with a very strong o soto gari, that is good enough for ippon.

Nick Kossor's third round match will be against Arsen Galstyan (RUS). No mat # yet.

9/11/10 11:25 PM
judom
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allcloser,

Takamatsu did a beatiful ippon seoinage on Euan Burton. I would like to find a copy somewhere. I only saw it live and there was no replay there.
9/12/10 12:06 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

The United States is done for the day.

Nick Kossor loses to Arsen Galstyan by yuko and two shidos.

Not much went on in this match. Galstyan was clearly more aggressive attacking ashiwaza and hip techniques, stumbling Kossor a few times with the ashiwaza, and catching Kossor for a yuko (can't remember the throw) in the near judge's corner.  Kossor came out early attacking seoi, but from about the 45 second mark, Galstyan picked up the pace. The two shidos were deserved.

9/12/10 8:58 AM
CyborgRoyce
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, allcloser it must've been painful watching the Japanese on the second day of all days. They've been doing well all other days.

Was really impressed by the little guys too. Open weight is tomorrow right?
9/12/10 9:05 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know if the Open will be streamed? It is 9PM Eastern Time -Sunday , 10 Am Toyko time - Monday and no stream.
9/12/10 10:36 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

jbb,

The Open divisions are scheduled to begin at 2:00pm Tokyo time according to USA Judo and the tournament documentation.   That is 10:00pm PDT.   I do not know if they are streaming it. The page has not been updated since yesterday's finals.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.