UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> JUDO Worlds 2010 - Brackets & Live Streams

9/12/10 11:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 The live feed is now working, so they are going to webcast the Open divisions.
9/13/10 2:41 AM
JSho
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allcloser - 
Yes, today(Monday) is the open-weight category and I hear that Tsukada(women +78kg)has withdrawn expressing her intenton to retire and Riner has also decided not to compete in the open, which I have yet to confirm.

Riner is in and doing ok so far.
9/13/10 4:55 AM
JSho
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riner vs Tachiyama in one Semi, Suzuki vs Kamikawa in the other.

Tangriev/Wang and Takahashi/Sayidov in the Repechage.
9/13/10 5:53 AM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/10 6:26 AM
Yeah allcloser, the fights were good regardless so I guess it didn't matter too much. <br /><br />We had the laptop going all through Judo class watching the fights. I believe there was a sankaku win at one point. <br /><br />Takahashi lost to Riner I believe. Both guys gassed 1 minute into the fight...
9/13/10 6:46 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching the Bronze medal matches/finals. Riner is up next for gold. Medal matches started 5:30 am Eastern Time. Kamikawa wins in golden score hantei 2-1 with 3 magnificient saesae attacks that almost scored yukos. Riner stopped attacking. How do you stop his high collar grip? Any opinions on the 2-1 flag for Kamikawa?
9/13/10 6:56 AM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, Teddy Riner is crying on the podium as I type this. I certainly agree that Kamikawa deserved the win. Riner kept going for that over the top grip which Kamikawa was able to avoid damage by just turning around. Never had any threatening throws.

So the end result is that Japan won 10 gold medals out of the 16. 23 medals with the 32 competitors they sent. Not bad at all.
9/13/10 6:57 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Watching the Bronze medal matches/finals. Riner is up next for gold. Medal matches started 5:30 am Eastern Time. Kamikawa wins in golden score hantei 2-1 with 3 magnificient saesae attacks that almost scored yukos. Riner stopped attacking. How do you stop his high collar grip? Any opinions on the 2-1 flag for Kamikawa?

Riner's a fucking crybaby. Lol at his series of tantrums including the medal ceramony. I would have given it to Kamikawa as well but regardless, he needs to have some dignity.
9/13/10 7:13 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the end result is that Japan won 10 gold medals out of the 16. 23 medals with the 32 competitors they sent. Not bad at all.

The Worlds were held in Tokyo. When the Worlds were held in Brazil, Brazil did great as well. There's always a psychological advantage to having half the people in the stadium cheering for you. Expect the French to do very well at the next Worlds which will be held in France.
9/13/10 5:11 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there is a "advantage" in that there is a "slight" hesitiancy of the referees to call shito's on the home town players. I heard the announcer say the 73K mongolian player Sainjargal who broke his arm/elbow in the semis against Elmont was the player to beat. Anyone see his matches/arm break in the match?
9/18/10 4:36 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allcloser,

thanks, wonderful throw and the video quality was great too.

At 2:20, Burton tried seio-nage himself of a similar grip, but failed.

What I found interesting is that:

- Takamatsu had his left foot forward, so Burton I think felt more safe, especially that Burton's left hand was not gripping Takamatsu's sleeve at the time.

- Takamatsu initiated the throw with the left foot forward AND yet his right leg ended up relatively deep between Burton's legs, i.e. covered a lot of distance. I usually have trouble initiating with left foot forward from this grip as the distance to cover is just too much. Perhaps being shorter here also helps.

Anyway, beautiful throw.

9/19/10 8:43 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allcloser,

I've used this position before as you describe it. But instead of right seoi, I used to wait until the opponent squares his legs, usually by stepping their left foot forward a little bit, and then going for kata-guruma.

One problem I found with this position is making their feet square (or their left leg forward). One thing I used to do is use kosoto-gari fake on their right leg so that the right leg steps back and now they are square.

Still, I rarely managed to get right seoi from this position. I had more success from this position against left-handed players.
9/21/10 5:29 PM
judom

Koga enters so strong here ! And from a position where both of his feet are at the same level. The power of the entry makes the other guy's right foot go back and almost squares him.

Another fine point that makes a difference is the pulling. If you pull too much forward in the kuzushi, they will step in with the right leg and then they won't be square. If you don't pull enough, they will counter you. Putting them on their toes is ideal.

I found seoi to be a difficult throw as it involves many components: correct kusuzhi, fast entry and low enough entry. I practiced it, only it, may be for 1 year straight and managed to throw some good people, but very rarely, may be, when they were mostly 1/2 a sleep.
9/21/10 5:37 PM
judom

The 2:11 on the same vid you posted, against Mike Swain, is a good starting position for the throw. Swain does not control Koga's right sleeve too well and that is what happens.
9/22/10 8:51 PM
judoblackbelt

Watching the Kayla Harrison match (again) showed me how really tuff the Brazilian opponent was. Kayla only scored or had the potential to score attacking her collar side against the leftie. PLus it showed her excellent defense against behind the back grip and uchimata. What a win in Golden Score.
9/22/10 10:33 PM
judoblackbelt

Forgot to add judovision.org has 59 matches/clips of the 2010 World Championships. Watch the Ole Bishof match where he goes in for one handed uchimata and gets countered leg grabbed by Elmont.
10/3/10 5:06 PM
judom

AC,

Another beautiful seoi-nage at 0:13 from a similar position, left foot forward and left arm grabbing the lapel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5440TDSn1E&feature=related
10/3/10 11:26 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kayla harrison just also won the GB World Cup.. and took Silver last weekend. She has cemented herself as one of the best in the world, period.
10/4/10 1:11 AM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhonda Rousey who? ;-)
10/4/10 4:30 PM
judoblackbelt

And let me add leothelion what a contrast in personalities. Kayla is one of the nicest persons off the mat that I have observed in my 4/5 close encounters at judo tournaments. Kind of unique in a way. The new judo "darling" replacing Rhonda.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.