UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo is front page news in France

9/10/10 8:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Studying french and I have been reading Le Monde daily and right there on the front page.. news about judo. It even has its own sports section.

if only we could get that here :(
9/10/10 10:45 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

France has about 500,000 judokas and the US 50,000 is what I was told. Daniel McCormick said "on air" judo is not big in the US. Their fans go nuts for Teddy Riner and Lucie Decosse and the other French female world class competitors.
9/15/10 7:44 PM
JSho
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably more licensed judoka in France than BJJ players in the whole world.
9/16/10 7:56 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point and the fact our athletes had a "good" showing in the 2010 World Championships I hope will encourage more judo in the U.S. Back to coaching this weekend at one of our local tournamnets. Our 2 best young fighters are a lacrose player (Brown belt) and BJJ purple belt/(recent)judo BB. Lacrose layer has unbelievable agressiveness.
9/16/10 8:10 AM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is it going to grow when there are so few people to teach it?

In my area there are only a handful of people qualified to teach. With life commitments and money issues most of them don't or are sporadic/infrequent.
9/16/10 10:08 AM
judoblackbelt

So true. Also many of us are older and can't do the hard training from injuries/normal aging factors. Also the youth culture of today are so enamored with MMA/BJJ/Sub wrestling and the celebrity status it brings. Local cage fights of all types has taken over sadly in my opinion. Everyone should first learn an art.
9/16/10 11:08 AM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/16/10 11:22 AM
judoblackbelt - So true. Also many of us are older and can't do the hard training from injuries/normal aging factors. Also the youth culture of today are so enamored with MMA/BJJ/Sub wrestling and the celebrity status it brings. Local cage fights of all types has taken over sadly in my opinion. Everyone should first learn an art.
JudoBB...I hardly agree with your thoughts...I think one of the reasons the US is not more dominant in Judo is because US Judoka are not interested in really paying the price physically....many of them are just happy to make the World, Olympic team et. al ... they are not really interested in winning....I think the other reason has to do with $$$.   In France some of their best athletes are Judoka .   The French support Judo.   Here in the US we are not seeing the best athletes in Judo.   We are seeing the best athletes who's parents are either independently wealthy or are willing to mortgage their future for their children.  The support and money is just not there to grow Judo.  There are few scholarships, sponsorships ect... Plus there are other sports that encroach on Judo.   If a child is a good athlete they will play other sports.   That is a fact.  In the case of my son, he happens to be a very good Judoka.  Powerful, smart, tough...he also happens to be a very good American Football player.  Here in Texas Football rules the sports landscape.  There is money in Football.  As much as I and his Judo coach would want him to practice Judo 100% it is not possible.  During football season all he can possibly do is football.  

I believe that in order for Judo to grow and thrive in the US we have to take Judo beyond the mere "club" mentality and really approach it in a professional manner.  That means we need to put more money and incentives in play to attract better athletes.  More sponsorships, more scholarships ect....   I really believe that Judo is positioned well to do that.  MMA is booming and Judo is a prominent part of many fighters games.  I think it is just a marketing issue.    I am encouraged that Judo is opening itself up to work with the Jiu-jitsu and grappling community's.   I think it really hearkens back to the birth of Judo.  When Kano Sensei originated Judo he had literally to fight for respect among the other arts.   And we know that Judo prevailed.   Judo will prevail in this environment too.   Bring it on!   It is time for the US to to become dominant in Judo.   For Pete's Sake, the freaking French are beating us.   For me that is unacceptable.  :-D

Leo         
9/16/10 8:54 PM
judoblackbelt

I agree with one of your points and that is the best athletes are not in judo but in some other sport. The success of the some of the best athletes in MMA in such a short time helps support your claim but judo is not culturally ingrained in the US like France/Japan also.
9/16/10 11:03 PM
leothelion

judoblackbelt - I agree with one of your points and that is the best athletes are not in judo but in some other sport. The success of the some of the best athletes in MMA in such a short time helps support your claim but judo is not culturally ingrained in the US like France/Japan also.
Yes, the French understand Judo...from what I understand the French people where one of the earliest european countries to embrace Judo...Here in the US...even after almost a century of Judo presence most Americans have no clue what Judo is...the majority of people think it is like Karate...there is alot of resistance to Judo...my own family still can't understand why I and my son practice that goofy martial art wearing pajamas...sigh... I think they are waiting for me to grow out of it...no chance...I am 52 and I am not changing...

9/21/10 4:17 AM
pachanga

judoblackbelt - France has about 500,000 judokas and the US 50,000 is what I was told.

Plus the population of France is about 1/4 of the US. So there are many many more judoka per capita.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.