UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Muay Thai Privates

9/10/10 10:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hitmeharder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you guys pay for Muay Thai privates?
9/10/10 12:50 PM
Jake Steinmann

Sityodtong Muay Thai, Trainer
I typically charge $90/lesson, though I give people discounts if they pay for multiple lessons up front.

Most of the trainers at Sityodtong charge between $60-90, based on experience. Kru Mark Dellagrotte charges somewhere between $150-200, I believe (it's been a while since I checked).
9/10/10 7:55 PM
Normal MT

My Privates are not for sale!!!!!! But Jake sure has expensive ones.
9/13/10 1:00 AM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/10 1:02 AM
That's one of the problems I encountered when I trained Muay Thai in the States and even here in Canada (where I live now). The head Kru are awesome trainers. The teacher to student ratio though is usually 1:20. And the head Kru usually holds pads for those students who are competing. Even then, you don't get 5 full rounds of padwork from them as they have to manage the class.

In third world countries, you can have someone train you for a full hour and a half for only like P200.00 (that's roughly $5.00). You get awesome trainers like these hold pads for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e6aQzK3Hzs
9/13/10 7:53 AM
Khun Kao
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I charge $35-50 per session. A typical session is 30-40 minutes of work (about 10x three to five minute rounds, depending on the drill)
9/14/10 4:22 AM
TheAdonis

$200 for a private? what a fucking rape.

talk about self entitlement issues. The best trainer in thailand wouldn't charge that if they were here and had don king as a manager. What a pompous jackass. Unless he was trained by monks in thailand this fuckstick has no right charging $200 to these naive kids. Really he should be shot and poked with a sharp stick.

9/14/10 4:28 AM
TheAdonis

Lots of these "Kru's" are pad champions. that means they can do 25 rounds on the pads but fold like a lubed lawn chair when they get tagged on the chin. I'm sick of these fuckin frauds.

One of my first instructors did 2 hours of sprint drills, skip rope, jogging, etc BEFORE class. HIs first fight was versus a 21 yr old punk ass tough man contest kid who beat his fuckin ass in 2 rounds. The kid had no skill and my "instructor" fell after a knee to his cup. What a fuckin poofer. I laughed and switched schools out of complete embarrassment.

Just like I thought, sparring makes the difference little cupcakes who hold pads are the first ones to fold like richard simmons at a gay day parade. Who cares if you can do 30 rounds of pads or bagwork when you aren't used to getting hit???

and LMMFAO@ the jewish muay thai trainer charging $90 for privates!!!! holy shit! I'll bet you are the same "kru" that says "OY-EEEE" after every punch or kick in sparring. I hate mf'ers like you. Stop bastardizing the sport!!!!
9/14/10 6:50 AM
HoustonTexas

200 bucks for a muay thai private is a joke...

Saekson Janjira goes for around 80-100, I highly recommend training with him!

Adonis thats hilarious about your former coach/kru/ajarn whatever he was haha

20-25 bucks gets you a 1hr private at the camp Im at in Thailand
9/14/10 9:44 AM
Jake Steinmann

Nothing like some racial insults to wake you up in the morning.

Yeah, duh, lessons are cheaper in third world countries. If I lived in a third world country, I'd charge less too. My rates are based on those of the school where I teach and train, and what the local market will bear.

I make zero pretense of being awesome. If someone had a choice between doing a lesson with me and doing one with Saekson, I would tell them to do one with Saekson in a heartbeat. I don't ask my students to call me by any titles. Most of them call me Jake. One or two call me "Coach", by their choice, not mine. One who used to be heavily into TKD calls me "sir", but he calls every instructor "sir". It's just his way.

I'm sorry that an anonymous keyboard warrior feels I'm "bastardizing the sport" by teaching people, many of whom have gone on to compete at an amateur or professional level. I realize that getting guys onto local Muay Thai shows isn't the pinnacle of Muay Thai excellence that beating up drunks in bars is, but I do what I can.

I do more sparring than I do pad work. I am not a champion at either one, nor do I claim to be. I am a pretty good coach. That's what I do.

As for Kru Mark, he wasn't raised by monks, but he did live in the Sityodtong camp in Pattaya for months, sleeping on the floor with all the other kids while rats crawled around near his toes. He's fought everywhere from beer bars to Rajadamnern stadium. He's coached everyone from 1st time amateurs to UFC veterans. [http://sityodtong.com/about/kru-mark/]

In short, Mark has accomplished far more as a fighter and a coach than most people in the United States. Are there people who have done as much, if not more around? Possibly. I don't think they're posting on these boards, however.

And for the record, Kru Toy, Mark's instructor and the head trainer at Sityodtong Pattaya (which has produced multiple champion level fighters), does charge about the same when he's in the United States and he is one of the better trainers in Thailand. And Don King is not involved.

Of course, if you can get to Thailand, Kru Toy's training is a lot cheaper. Funny how that works.
9/14/10 11:57 AM
nakmuay26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some folks charge way too much; some don't charge enough for what they truly offer.

Trying to compare pay scales between trainers in Thailand and the United States is just a joke. There are so many issues involved in how a trainer is "paid" both Thailand and a country like the United States, that hearing about a ridiculously small hourly rate or an over the top hourly rate just causes folks to get worked up and doesn't help clarify the situation.

That said, I probably wouldn't pay $200/hour for a lesson of any kind. But some people would. In fact, some people understand that the most expensive means the best. If this guy charges more per hour, he must have something more to offer. Not my way of thinking, but there are those who do.

Find a coach you like, learn, benefit and stick with 'em.
9/14/10 2:56 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which day did he fight on? Ratchadamnern has a day dedicated to farang fights, sunday afternoon if I remember correctly.
9/14/10 3:15 PM
Jake Steinmann

Ryukyu Damashi - Which day did he fight on? Ratchadamnern has a day dedicated to farang fights, sunday afternoon if I remember correctly.

The guy he fought (and beat) was Thai, and was ranked #6 or 7 at the stadium at the time. It wasn't a "farang fight".
9/14/10 4:07 PM
Khun Kao
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing that a lot of people are overlooking is that the reason why many of these coaches charge outrageous fees for private lessons is because they are trying to DISCOURAGE people from signing up for private lessons!

Show me a coach who charges +$100 for a private lesson and I'll show you a coach who doesn't *like* coaching private lessons.
9/14/10 4:13 PM
Khun Kao

Another thought... If you are unwilling to pay the market value for private training here in the States, which averages between $75-100 per hour, then you are more than welcome to book a flight to Thailand for your private training. Don't forget to include the cost of your flight, lodging & living expenses while there.

I absolutely agree that training in Thailand is much better than training here in the States, but most people cannot afford the airfare or have the time to take off of work for a month, so private training (while expensive) is a more viable option.
9/14/10 5:09 PM
Martinez!

TheAdonis - $200 for a private? what a fucking rape.

talk about self entitlement issues. The best trainer in thailand wouldn't charge that if they were here and had don king as a manager. What a pompous jackass. Unless he was trained by monks in thailand this fuckstick has no right charging $200 to these naive kids. Really he should be shot and poked with a sharp stick.

As always, you are more than welcome to visit Boston and come to the gym. That goes for anyone who wants to talk shit. Not a threat, either. Come and hang out, watch, train, and see if you still leave with a negative opinion of our gym.

And as Jake points out, Kru Toy charges just as much as Mark when he comes to stay with us. Is he the best trainer in Thailand? That's a matter of opinion, but the facts are that he gets paid BANK to train Americans.

And as far as what you'll pay in Thailand, $20-25/hour isn't much to us, but to Thais that's great money. Last time I checked the exchange rate was about 30 baht/1 US dollar. Basically, they charge an equivalent amount for their local market.

Also, most Thai camps have a per-day fee for all farangs, esp. if you're not fighting for the camp regularly. That fee can be anywhere $5-20 (or more) per day, outside of lodging, food, etc. So it's not like they're teaching you out of the goodness of their hearts.

In fact, trainers in Thailand don't usually do what they do because they love it. They do it because it's all they know and they need to support their families. So essentially, many Thai trainers are in it solely for the money they can make off the farang.

And that's fine. Nothing wrong with making a good living, as long as you're providing a quality product or service. Since no one here has trained with Mark, or Jake, or me...I'm wondering how you can judge the quality of said training?
9/14/10 9:12 PM
HoustonTexas

Come on guys...

I know about exchange rates...cost of living blah blah

I was just saying that 20-25 bucks in the sense that its great opp. to train in Thailand. Not comparing pay scales...so ya it looked stupid...apologies

I live and work in Thailand. Ive been here for a year now working and fighting out of a camp.

Wasnt talking bad about Mark...or anyone Sityodtong...just said 200 bucks is crazy for a private...and hey thats just my opinion

9/15/10 7:31 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from MMA students, have Dellegrotte ever produced muay thai champions?
9/15/10 5:54 PM
OctaviousBP

What are you doing for work HT, and which camp are you at?
9/15/10 6:09 PM
Jake Steinmann

@HT

You are a lucky man, no argument. If you can get to Thailand, the training costs are awesome. I'm jealous.

RE: Mark's prices, yeah, they aren't cheap. Whether they're worth it or not is totally a personal decision.

@BIC

Some local titles; nothing on a huge scale. Nothing in Thailand itself (though they would have probably ended up going to Sityodtong Pattaya for that). The Muay Thai scene has never been great around here, and with the rise of MMA, most of our fighters have chosen to focus on that. There's just a much bigger, more active MMA scene around here, which means guys can get fights more often, without having to travel.
9/15/10 9:37 PM
HoustonTexas

I work at the Fairtex Bangplee Camp.
Just so you dont think Im FOS...
http://www.wmcmuaythai.org/html/10_2608_001.html

For the record any UG'r that comes out to the camp 10% discount!

Later

Michael
corley@fairtex.com
9/16/10 8:43 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much is the training at Bangplee? It is the same as Pattaya, 800 baht a session/ 1200 baht a day?
9/16/10 9:51 PM
BJJStudent

Ryukyu Damashi,

If you come to train at Fairtex Bangplee let me know.
9/16/10 11:06 PM
The Sultan
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kru Mark charges what the market bears for him to charge.  It is what it is.

When you have billionaire clients who will fly you out and pay you that much for a private lesson, it speaks volumes about your skill and what they feel you offer.  Its also a measurement of time and availability.

Aside from that, Kru Mark is hands down, one of the best martial artists I've ever encountered.  He has secrets to his training that are truly amazing and a technical aptitude that I've never really personally witnessed from others in my life.  He amazes me more and more everyday I train with him.  I've held pads for him and its truly a treat to feel the power and technical prowess he displays unloading on pads effortlessly.

I don't really get the big deal about prices.  BJJ privates with top BJJ practitioners are in the same ballpark.  That's what the cost is of having someone at that level fine tuning your game.
9/16/10 11:07 PM
The Sultan
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, the reference to getting a private from a thai for a "cheap" cost......well, let me ask you this,...........have you factored in how much it costs to get there?  Have you factored in the economic parallels between a drastically poorer economy and the economy of the United States.

Newsflash ----- I also hear you can get booze and hookers pretty cheap in thailand too.
9/17/10 3:30 PM
hitmeharder

From what I have heard 90 is ok price. There are very few US thai trainers here in the US. With even less that can not only hold good pads but also teach well. If 90 is a lot the person is free to go find somebody else. If I look for a private some day and the trainer only wants 30 bucks I will assume that they suck...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.