UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Biblical conflict?

9/12/10 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
micmac
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is probably a common question but I sometimes find myself conflicted by:

Luke 12:24 - Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!

and

Matthew 4:7 - Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' "

When one thinks about or worries about their household budget, they could be motivated by Luke 12:24 and buy something that will give their family a better life, or they could be motivated by Matthew 4:7 and never spend any money because not saving for a rainy day could be considered putting the Lord your God to the test.

What say ye?
9/12/10 12:54 AM
reverend john
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems to me that putting the lord to the test was jumping off a building which is not the same thing as relying on God for your economic future. God is not saying don't work, nor is he saying stop providing, but rather to stop trying to act like you control your own fate, and to learn to trust in God's grace

rev
9/13/10 2:36 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In addition to rev's comments, I would add that in these passages we are advised about proper spiritual attitude. In the first, we are instructed to have an attitude of trust in God. It is an attitude of looking at God as the Father, as One Who loves and cares for us.

In the second passage, we are admonished not to have an attitude of arrogance, believing that we are in control of our destiny and that we can do anything and everything believing that nothing bad can ever happen to us. God gives and God takes away; we cannot have an attitude that we are big shots or that we are better than others.

In all earthly things we should keep in mind that we are only stewards or trustees of the things God has provided for us in our journey, including our own bodies, children, material wealth, health and so on. We should trust God for the good outcome regardless of the circumstances, and not have an attitude of arrogance or that we 'deserve' such and such and no ill thing will befall us.

I am no inspired prophet of course, and my interpretation is not Gospel but that's how I read them. I find this attitude gives me peace of mind and heart and keeps me focused on God rather than worldy things.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.