UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Kansas City Chiefs

9/27/10 3:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doomsday - Think that takes the division?

WOW@winning the division.

If the Chiefs finish 9-7 this year and they continue in the direction in which they have been going through to next year, that would be HUGE.
I'm really not expecting them to win the division or even make the playoffs as yet.
If they do, that's great.
But, they still have a long way to go.

That said, I stick to what I said a while ago: This team is headed towards BIG things in the future and have among the best (if not the best) management/coaching staff of any team in the NFL.
9/27/10 3:54 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 09/27/10 3:54 PM
9/27/10 3:55 PM
SiftMyMind

Doomsday,

As you know, there won't be any Chiefs' football for a while as they are heading into their bye week.
Since there is some down time, I was wondering what you thought of the play of the team so far this year?

I've seen you break down the team's strengths and weaknesses by position before.
I would be interested to know how you feel about each position over first three games of this season.

Thanks man.

9/27/10 9:03 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 09/27/10 9:13 PM
Obviously RB is a strong position. Thomas Jones deserves every carry he gets, though fantasy guys are fuming. JC is always dangerous with his speed. Both have done their jobs.

The receivers aren't getting many looks, but seem to be plugging away, trying to do the right thing most of the time. I've seen Chris Chambers dog it a bit and cost a pick. D-Bowe is probably frustrated, but he's a trooper for now, and blocking well. Just now getting McCluster into the game, but he will be a good slot guy, imo. He's dangers in a lot of ways for us. Moeaki is making some clutch catches, and blocking well for the most part. Leonard Pope needs to tighten up, hes a mismatch with his height, and does ok blocking, but he should be better. He is a veteran.

TBC...
9/27/10 9:22 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 09/27/10 9:23 PM
Tim Castille is playing fullback pretty darn well, making plays because he is not a 'threat' and is overlooked. Jackie Battle is ready if called upon to plug away up the middle.

The line is doing a decent job blocking, both run and pass, but Cassel could use a wee bit more time. Weigmann is overpowered some by big NT's, but otherwise very effective. Richardson has been playing RT in place of injured Ryan O'Callahan, and is improving week to week. I like the chemistry the line and the offense as a whole developed against SF, with a wide open playbook. I think O'Call is still a bit better at setting the edge.

I think when we pull lineman we thrive, and are much better in zone blocking. Heads up is not good for us. Credit Weis for mixing plays up very well and keeping the defense off balance.

Matt Cassel, jury is still out. I think he has almost no pocket awareness, and doesn't always hit the most open guy, but he does a good job of not fucking things up a lot. Though he has thrown 3 picks, one or two weren't really all his fault. For instance, the throw to Tony Moeaki was hard to catch, but no defender had a shot at it.
Still needs to make good things happen. He has done a good job of not putting the ball into receivers hands as they are about to get lit up. McCluster is very glad for this!

Succop missed a kick he should have made, but kickoffs have been solid. Kick coverage is great, and punt returns have been minimized. Javier Arenas and McCluster are both home run hitters and its just a matter of time before either one breaks another long one.
9/27/10 10:13 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 09/27/10 10:14 PM
Ok, the defense!

I contend that it is ligit!

Dorsey has been playing well, he does his job quietly and effectively. Mostly goes unnoticed, which is exactly what he is supposed to do. I want to add that he has been in on almost every, if not every snap so far. For a guy that was out of shape for the first 8 weeks last year, he has been gutting it out to the end! On the other side, Tyson Jackson has been out, but from what i've seen, hes made big strides into his second season. I think Shaun Smith has given him a bit of the nastiness he needs to become a good one.

Shaun Smith NT has actually seen more time at end, and has done ok. Not really great, but what he does do is get in peoples heads. This worked great on the rooks of SF, maybe not so much on vets. He talks and talks from the beginning on. Ron Edwards has been kind of a suprise, becoming an effective NT. He also does his job quietly and well. Wallace Gilberry gets overpowered, but is a pass rush presence, from time to time.

The linebackers have made the biggest improvement over any group on this team. Vrabel is still old, still a bit slow, but makes great decisions and is crucial as a leader. He does all the things a guy can do who isn't a coach. Even calling timeouts from the field when needed.

Derrick Johnson earned his starting spot this year, over Demorrio Williams, who started last year. He is finally playing like the first round pick that he is. He is all over the field almost all the time. Don't throw it his way. He can cover as well as any linebacker I can think of. One thing that stands out is shucking blocks, he used to have a LOT of trouble with that. Now he does it pretty well.

Williams played as a fourth down lineman a few times, but hasn't had significant time. The starters are playing almost every play. Haven't seen Studebaker, though we gave him a 5 year deal. Vrabel is getting him ready to take over next year, I think.

Jovan Belcher is a good bit better than last years starter, Corey Mays. He can do a lot more, but brings hits almost as well.

Do I really need to talk about Tamba? Animal of the defense, he gets held constantly, and still gets pressure consistently. He's not Derrick Thomas, but who is? NOBODY
Tamba is just relentless.

Why people keep testing Brandon Flowers, I just don't understand!! Keep throwing at him, and you will pay for it. Still solid in everything a CB can do.

Brandon Carr has a tough preseason, then got back to basics and did pretty darn well when tested. Couldn't ask for a better number 2.

Javier has done damn well for a rookie nickel. No slot guys have lit us up, yet. I've seen him make some great pass breakups, too, also he can blitz well, and is more effective against the run than most corners.

Kendrick Lewis has been decent at FS(left in our system), couple rookie mistakes, but suprisingly good for a later round guy. Solid coverage and packs a whallop, as evidenced by the concussion he delivered to the Browns WR, week 2. He hit the guy high and got a penalty, haven't seen him do it again.

Suprisingly, the biggest struggles have come from Eric Berry, who has made some huge mistakes in coverage. Bad, bad decisions. Both guys also bite on play fakes, quite a bit. Berry has excelled in run support, making some hellacious hits, for any position player. Just WOW. He can be juked in open field, but he wraps up well, even when hitting hard. He will stop making bad decisions soon. Romeo will not have it. :)

Also, Colquitt sacrificed his punting average to make sure CLE didn't return any kicks, and he is one of the best punters i've ever seen. Last years MVP, hasn't lost a step.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask specific questions.
9/27/10 10:23 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 09/27/10 10:24 PM
Coaches - Haley has done great in all facets. Just love this guy. I think hes awesome. Knows the game extremely well. Knows how to treat players. He's is much more mellow, now that the team is doing what he wants. He always has something to add as far as the team knowing EXACTLY what to do. Not just a fundamentals guy, very technical! Also understands emotional ups and downs of the game and manages them well. After the first game, he put a piece of cheese in the lockers. "Don't take the bait!" After SF, he said "We haven't done anything yet." Long way to go in his mind. Plenty of room to keep getting better. One day at a time. A little better every day. He lives this. Also he coaches to win! The only lapse i've seen was against SD, where we cooled off after we went ahead. Since then he won't let us let up!

Weis is finally opening up his playbook, very innovative, and precisely executed even with difficult plays. He's doing what we hoped he could. Hopefully as he and Cassel gel, we will see better decisions and reads on the field. The hesitation from MC sometimes is his biggest downfall.

Crennel has brought a new attitude to the defense. Weaknesses have been improved, and Strengths have been enforced. The guys always seem to be in the right place at the right time, other than the play action fakes.

Right now we performing at an elite level with Rushing Offense, Rushing Defense, and Special Teams, all the way around. Passing is our biggest weakness, however, we no longer see Run, run, pass, punt. This team is for real. Don't mistake that for unbeatable. Just we will play pretty well, almost all of the time. Even if its ugly and we get beat statistically, you better keep your eye on the scoreboard. We can win the ugly ones.
9/27/10 10:26 PM
Doomsday

SiftMyMind - 
Doomsday - Think that takes the division?

If the Chiefs finish 9-7 this year and they continue in the direction in which they have been going through to next year, that would be HUGE.
I'm really not expecting them to win the division or even make the playoffs as yet.

That said, I stick to what I said a while ago: This team is headed towards BIG things in the future and have among the best (if not the best) management/coaching staff of any team in the NFL.

You said we could go 8-5 after the bye. That makes it 11-5. My question to you is, does that win the AFC West?
9/28/10 10:50 AM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 09/28/10 10:52 AM
9/28/10 10:57 AM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 09/28/10 10:58 AM
Doomsday -
SiftMyMind -
Doomsday - Think that takes the division?

You said we could go 8-5 after the bye. That makes it 11-5. My question to you is, does that win the AFC West?

If things continue to go the way they have been going, I predict KC and SD will finish at the top of AFC West this year.

As far as my predicting who will win the division or what record wins the division, you are going to have to just stay tuned and watch what happens like the rest of us...lol.
There is still a lot of football left in the season.

(Great analysis above!)
9/28/10 7:20 PM
Doomsday

Two weeks to prepare for Indy!
9/30/10 7:37 AM
Doomsday

Actually watching the tape, Shaun Smith has been playing pretty well. he gets moved for 330 lbs. But he gets off blocks and makes plays as well. Even on the other side of the field. Nice.
9/30/10 12:41 PM
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just going to be honest but the Chiefs are the WORST 3-0 team we have seen in the league in a LONG time. Cassel is a joke of a QB. QB rating 74, has one of the least amount of attempts in the league, only completing 54% of his passes. They are 3-0 against a weak San Diego team, the Cleveland Browns, and the 49ers. All of which have losing records, or no wins at all.

There is nothing about KC that scares me at all. They cannot throw the ball, and if you don't think that the rest of the league will not catch on and make Cassel beat them you are nuts.

And don't get things confused or try to spin this like I am saying Denver is a far greater team or anything like that. Denver has a lot of problems, but KC fans are talking super bowl after beating two 0-3 teams and a Charger team that is a SHELL of what it once was. Until Cassel shows us he can throw the ball they are not going to beat very many teams that are not 0-3.
9/30/10 2:42 PM
Tommy Gunnz
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303, KC isn't scary but they run the ball great, have speed and excellent special teams and defense. They aren't world beaters but they aren't going away either. If they just run the ball and play great D they will easily make the playoffs in that HORRIBLE division
9/30/10 4:52 PM
Doomsday

They are doing the little things right. I have examples.

These aren't teams imploding. This is solid play against pretty well executed offensive game plans, or plays.
Getting off of blocks, blocking, tackling, hitting, not turning the ball over, getting turnovers. Offense, Defense, Special Teams are doing their job. Football is more than just what the QB can do. These Chiefs are doing all of these things much better. They are playing good fundamental football. By the way, they are coming for Denver soon...

9/30/10 6:15 PM
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. Football is more than just what a QB can do. However beating two 0-3 teams and the Chargers is not a big deal. If you are even a half way decent team you SHOULD beat those teams especially when 2 of those 3 games are at home. Matt Cassel puts up an amazing 68 yards passing against the Chargers.

The Chargers DOMINATED you guys. They dominated TOP, total yards, etc. The Chiefs ran 36 plays that entire game. You are not going to get very many of those games. Cassel is going to have to prove he can get past 3rd downs.

As I said, this could be the worst, most untested 3-0 team we have seen in the NFL for a long time.

As far as coming for Denver, go ahead and come on down. We have one of the top offenses in the game, oh and our defense is not half bad either.

Denver has a ton of problems no doubt, but KC is going to be exposed as the average team they are.
9/30/10 6:24 PM

Tommy Gunnz - 303, KC isn't scary but they run the ball great, have speed and excellent special teams and defense. They aren't world beaters but they aren't going away either. If they just run the ball and play great D they will easily make the playoffs in that HORRIBLE division

They're fast, but its the NFL, everyone is fast. Again, they have played 2 terrible teams, and one team in the Chargers that I think has take a DRASTIC step back and by all accounts the Chargers dominated that game. The score is the only thing that matters, but in the NFL eventually you have to prove you are legit, and KC is not. Sorry but Cassel is not going to get away with beating very many teams throwing for 68 yards.

They are young, they have had a couple very good drafts, they are up and coming no doubt, but with the hype they are getting at 3-0, considering the teams they have beat they are in for a big fall.
9/30/10 6:59 PM

Oh and 56 of those 197 yards against the Chargers came on one play. Yes, 3-0. Deserving of the hype? No.
9/30/10 9:44 PM
Doomsday

Believe what you will. Your team has one win. Mine has 3. Most wins, well..wins. You don't understand the game very well. KC is winning. The rest of the AFC West is not. Once Denver understands football, they might win too.

Keep your stats. I'll take wins.

Also, we are underdogs going into every game. What hype are you referring to? That's right. We have been picked to lose every one. This won't change after the bye. Indy will be favored. Watch the game, and learn something about football.
9/30/10 10:08 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 09/30/10 10:08 PM
I would also like to point out that KC has had an unstoppable world beating offense. Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and probably the best offensive line in the game. Nobody could stop them. We won exactly 0 playoff games. I'd rather have have a defense, special teams, and Matt Cassel.

Believe it.
10/1/10 3:48 PM

Doomsday - Believe what you will. Your team has one win. Mine has 3. Most wins, well..wins. You don't understand the game very well. KC is winning. The rest of the AFC West is not. Once Denver understands football, they might win too.

Also, we are underdogs going into every game. What hype are you referring to? That's right. We have been picked to lose every one. This won't change after the bye. Indy will be favored. Watch the game, and learn something about football.

Whoa there hurt feelings!

Where did I not say you guys weren't 3-0? You need to go back and brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Also, as I mentioned about 4 times in my posts Denver has their own problems, but I thought this was a Chiefs discussion and not a Bronco discussion? If you would like to talk about the Broncos and our problems you know I am always up for that.

So you, with all your vast football knowledge you think that the Chiefs will be able to win games this year with Cassel having a 54% completion percentage (with one of the fewest number attempts in the league) and a 75% QB Rating? Only being able to get 68 yards passing in a game and minus a 57 yard run only having 141 yards total for a game? Since I never attacked you personally I am curious why you got so upset? Can you really argue with the fact that you have beat two terrible teams in Cleveland and San Fran? You compare the 3 teams KC played and the have ONE win combined. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Boy I guess all those scholarship offers I had to play football mean I just don't know shit about the game. Damn.
10/1/10 4:13 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 10/01/10 4:17 PM
10/1/10 4:17 PM
SiftMyMind

303 - 
Doomsday - Believe what you will. Your team has one win. Mine has 3. Most wins, well..wins. You don't understand the game very well. KC is winning. The rest of the AFC West is not. Once Denver understands football, they might win too.

Whoa there hurt feelings!

Where did I not say you guys weren't 3-0? You need to go back and brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Also, as I mentioned about 4 times in my posts Denver has their own problems, but I thought this was a Chiefs discussion and not a Bronco discussion? If you would like to talk about the Broncos and our problems you know I am always up for that.

So you, with all your vast football knowledge you think that the Chiefs will be able to win games this year with Cassel having a 54% completion percentage (with one of the fewest number attempts in the league) and a 75% QB Rating? Only being able to get 68 yards passing in a game and minus a 57 yard run only having 141 yards total for a game? Since I never attacked you personally I am curious why you got so upset? Can you really argue with the fact that you have beat two terrible teams in Cleveland and San Fran? You compare the 3 teams KC played and the have ONE win combined. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Boy I guess all those scholarship offers I had to play football mean I just don't know shit about the game. Damn.

LOL

3-0 is still 3-0!!!

I am looking forward to the KC vs. Denver games on Sun, 11/14 and Sun, 12/05.
10/1/10 4:22 PM
Doomsday

303, your putting words in my mouth. Don't do that. Once you understand the game a little better, you'll understand why we have 3 wins, even with a 68 yard passing performance.

So you feel you are smart about football because you got a scholarship? I have seen a lot of really stupid football players. Very few intelligent ones. Even in football intelligence. On the flip side, some of the smartest football guys never played. Like Todd Haley, for instance.

Don't try to conveniently forget our screen name bet after the season. I have something nice waiting for you. Right now, i'm two games/months up.
10/1/10 4:56 PM

I am not putting words into your mouth. I am simply asking, because you are so supremely smart about the game if you think that with Cassels current numbers, again a 54% completion percentage and 75% QB Rating the Chiefs will be able to beat the likes of Indy, NYJ, Balt, etc?

Again, not taking away from their 3-0 start, but they have beat 3 teams that collectively have won ONE game. Do not get ahead of yourself.

I do not feel I know the game because of anything other than the fact I played it my entire life. You may know a lot of "stupid" football players, but if they have played their whole life I am guessing they actually probably know a lot about the game.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.