UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> jumping guard is so stupid

9/16/10 1:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yesterday I was grappling with this bjj bb, who has a mma fight in two weeks. He jump guard the first time and I put him in an arm/head choke and he tapped. The second time he jump guard I slammed him on his back. The third time he jump guard I move to the left and I did a dead tree drop. I told this guy only a stupid a person would stand still and let you jump guard. He told about all the submission that come from jumping guard. Oh well maybe he is right, but I still think it is stupid. btw, he did catch me in a armbar twice from the open guard.
9/16/10 2:00 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone really think jumping guard is worth the risk?
9/16/10 4:29 PM
judo man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outside of bjj, I don't think its worth it.
9/16/10 8:46 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It may be the only way he thinks he can beat you/avoid injury with the upcomming fight. It is one of the main ways to beat a better all around grappler. And it shows no skill in the transition from standup to ground. Could be he didn't want to chance any injuries and play it safe down there where his skills are.
9/16/10 11:12 PM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - It may be the only way he thinks he can beat you/avoid injury with the upcomming fight. It is one of the main ways to beat a better all around grappler. And it shows no skill in the transition from standup to ground. Could be he didn't want to chance any injuries and play it safe down there where his skills are.

could be the reason; however, neither us were going 100% and we always leave our egos at the door. I think he just truely believe in the benfits of jumping guard.
9/16/10 11:17 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judo for jackasses does a great job of discussing this.
9/17/10 3:11 AM
LetsTalkItOut
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do believe pulling guard does have it's place. I like how Demian fake shots and after they sprawl on top of him, he just pulls guard. He exerted much less effort than if he took a shot and drove till he finished. Obviously it's awesome for people with aggressive guards. I can see half assing a throw and jumping guard for the takedown, or easing into a takedown by placing feet on the hips and pulling them in. But holding onto someone who is standing and they are allowed to slam is stupid.
9/17/10 10:18 AM
gbutts

JoshuaResnick - judo for jackasses does a great job of discussing this.

???
9/17/10 12:16 PM
judo man

Joshua is referrinng to this.

How to defeat Bjj guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8v9nZeqco&feature=related
9/17/10 2:30 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

9/17/10 2:37 PM
gbutts

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - <div id="postVideo-31490057"></div><script type="text/javascript">var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/bb8v9nZeqco?fs=1&hl=en_US", "postVideo-31490057-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-31490057"); </script> 

i'm still laughing after 10 ten minutes
9/18/10 9:00 PM
molsonman
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You head and arm choked a bjj black belt from inside his guard?
9/18/10 9:37 PM
gbutts

molsonman - You head and arm choked a bjj black belt from inside his guard?

yeah, he jump guard and i didn't fall to the mat as he intended. this a pretty simple choke. once you apply the choke you shake the person off and just as their feet touch the ground you throw them with osoto while still holding on to the choke. i think have some videos of my daughters using it in a couple of nogi tournaments, if not i'll post a demo of it tommorrow on their youtube accounts.
9/19/10 4:27 PM
pachanga

If you're a lot better at Judo than he is, it's a better option for him than being thrown. Obviously it would be better to be able to get the throw/takedown.
9/19/10 5:28 PM
molsonman
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is a troll. Subbing a bjj black belt from inside his guard? A bjj black belt just jumping straight at you to pull guard and you moving out of the way like a matador?

Are you sure it wasn't a JJJ black belt?
9/19/10 10:53 PM
gbutts

molsonman - I think this is a troll. Subbing a bjj black belt from inside his guard? A bjj black belt just jumping straight at you to pull guard and you moving out of the way like a matador?

Are you sure it wasn't a JJJ black belt?

I don't care what you think. I have been grappling for 30years and I don't need to lie about anything. Bjj is not the began and ending of grappling nor is any other grappling art (judo,sambo, wrestling). Stop worshiping bjj and open your mind to other forms of grappling. just because you do not understand how to do something does not mean it did not happen.
9/19/10 11:30 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is Walt Lamb's training partner, big blue who he slams. Would like to see video of the above if available. Thanks,
9/20/10 1:12 AM
LetsTalkItOut
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/10 1:16 AM

JUDO vs JUJITSU KO fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3BbbKOdtw
9/20/10 1:46 AM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Lol one of my instructors is from that Judo school
9/20/10 2:23 AM
BJJWRESTLER
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jumping Guard can be a good thing,see Marcelo Garcia,Demian Maia and Jean Jacques Machado.
9/20/10 12:10 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

ha ha who was in that judo v bjj match? anyone with exp on the ground shouldn't let that choke happen...
9/20/10 4:24 PM
molsonman

gbutts - Stop worshiping bjj and open your mind to other forms of grappling.

Lol. I started in judo and added bjj.
9/20/10 5:21 PM
gbutts

molsonman - 
gbutts - Stop worshiping bjj and open your mind to other forms of grappling.

Lol. I started in judo and added bjj.

just because you started in judo doesn't mean you don't worship bjj.
9/20/10 8:44 PM
CyborgRoyce
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - ha ha who was in that judo v bjj match? anyone with exp on the ground shouldn't let that choke happen...

Did a bit of facebook investigation myself but turns out the details were posted on the youtube comments:

Jujitsu tournament in Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand; 2009.

Kerry Saggers 3 dan judo vs a Prominent (in NZ)? Brazilian professional BJJ Black Belt Coach, (who lives in Blenheim.)

Dont blame him, he is good, he won the year before. The thing is Kerry is also good and has a nice technique that is surprisingly effective

A quick google search will turn up the name of the BJJ BB.
9/20/10 8:44 PM
johntucker100

LOL holy shit who is this guy??? that is funny shit. lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.