UnderGround Forums

Oregon Underground >> anyone training in la grande?

9/16/10 7:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
falsecrack
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hihi, ive got a friend moving to la grande, oregon who is interested in training bjj or kickboxing...she's trained with us in hawaii for awhile and would like to continue. i tried googling gyms, but not much came up in the area beyond a karate school. any official gyms or anyone doing any backyard or garage action?
9/28/10 4:47 AM
falsecrack
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lmao, i guess the fact that this thread now comes up if i google "mma la grande" is pretty indicative
10/2/10 4:16 AM
KUIndustries
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol..Oregon BJJ is like Hawaii...in the early 1990's
10/4/10 9:49 PM
piratepirate
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why on earth is somebody moving to La Grande???

Get a car with good mileage and hit up Boise, or Tri Cities.
10/4/10 9:50 PM
piratepirate
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KUIndustries - lol..Oregon BJJ is like Hawaii...in the early 1990's

???

Oregon has some really impressive and talented BJJ schools.

Just not in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere.

10/7/10 2:30 AM
falsecrack

piratepirate - 
KUIndustries - lol..Oregon BJJ is like Hawaii...in the early 1990's

???

Oregon has some really impressive and talented BJJ schools.

Just not in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere.
<br type="_moz" />

i dunno why anyone would leave hawaii for eastern oregon...i like a lot of that area, it's beautiful... but giving up sun and beaches for winters...crazy

lol, no worries brotha, kuindustries teaches at a school in oregon...he's familiar with the scene, i think he was just suggesting i not expect there to be a school in every town.

i dont think most people realize how popular jiu jitsu has been in hawaii for a long time tho...you can go to almost any town in the state (id say every town over 5 thousand has an official commercial type gym) and find someone running a school or training in their garage. it's everywhere. obviously we're not the best jiu jitsu guys in the states, but consider this - we had the first 3 non-brazilian world jiu jitsu champs...kai, egan, and bj
10/8/10 3:00 AM
piratepirate

I just didn't understand what he was getting at.

10/9/10 10:16 AM
KUIndustries
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prior to 2004 there were less than 10 black belts in Oregon, a state with a population over 3 million.

The best school in Oregon, NWMA, had two blue belts teaching in 2001!

Now we got Harold, Ryan, Ben Baxter, Franca, Sherner, Impact of course, Anibol, Gerald etc. still not a lot considering how many people there are. Of these Impact and NWMA, and SBGI guys are the only ones who actually got there black belts (well Gerald kind of) in Oregon.

The room for growth is evident, look at the Oregon Open. TONS of new schools branching out and it's really awesome.

Kind of like Hawaii in the 90's before the big boom hit. Now there's schools right next to each other lol

10/9/10 10:20 AM
KUIndustries

pirate pirate, you train at touch m up?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.