UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> F***ing drivers. How do they work???

9/17/10 12:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bad Monkey
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can hit every other club in my bag straight, but when I pull out the heavy lumber I'm hitting curve balls.  Even my 3 wood is arrow straight, just not always in the right direction.  I feel like I'm swinging the same with my driver as my other woods but getting very different results.  I actually sliced  a tee shot over the adjacent fairway last week and played my second over the fairway of another hole to get back to the fairway I was supposed to be on.   What on earth am I doing wrong?
9/17/10 10:51 AM
Animal Chin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you have a video camera? put your swing up here and i'll tell you what you could do to help.

shit, use your phone if you have to.
9/18/10 12:32 PM
Bad Monkey
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It'll have a video up in a couple days.  What is the best camera angle for you to view a swing, from behind (no homo) or the side. 
9/18/10 3:37 PM
Animal Chin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for what you're probably doing, from the side.

if you don't want to put it up here, i can pm you my # and you can just send it to my phone.
9/29/10 4:49 PM
BigKiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Driver is the longest club with the least loft.

The longer the club, the harder it is to swing and the less loft, the more sidespin it puts on the ball.

Have you been fitted for your driver?
10/4/10 11:28 AM
hotshot123
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just a guess but, since your already thinking slice to you aim left to play it? (assuming your right handed).

also answer big killers question about the fitted driver. having the right loft/lie, shaft flex/length.

last thing and its just an opinion, no offence meant at all but 99% of the people i play with will tell you that they swing the same with the driver but in fact they always try to give it that little extra and in doing so, they will leave the face open and slice the ball.
10/4/10 11:33 PM
BigKiller

Seriously, get fit and check your ego at the door.
I play a 12 degree driver with a stock R-flex shaft (although Ping does put a great deal of R&D into their shafts). Not only do I carry it farther, my ball flight's higher, BETTER in the wind, a consistent draw with no big hooks and I get more roll than any other driver I have ever owned. I would never have believed I'd get more roll with a 12 degree driver and a higher ball flight until I played my Ping G15.

10/11/10 4:27 PM
Triple X Guard
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Less Degrees = More Spin according to one video on YouTube. Of no help really but I thought it was interesting. How often do you slice/hook a wedge? Almost never for me, but I hit plenty of wild tee shots!
10/13/10 2:26 PM
BigKiller

Less Loft = more sidespin

More loft = more backspin

And I can hook ANY club intentionally. I actually hit hard draws with my wedges all the time when the wind's blowing and I want to skip one all the way to a back pin position.
10/20/10 7:46 PM
Bad Monkey

I had a random encounter last week golfing in Hawaii.  I went out to the course while my wife was gulping down umbrella drinks on the beach and got paired up with another singleton.  Turns out the guy has been around the game awhile and had caddied a few times for tour players. 

After a few holes of pretty impressive slicing he offers up this gem, "You're taking the club back with your arms."  First I think he's fucking with me, then I think I probably could hit a straighter shot if I swung the driver with my feet.  So I am looking at him trying to figure out which one of us is the idiot and he says, "Take it back with your shoulders. You're bringing it in too tight and have to go over the top to get back to the ball.  Keep your arms straight and start the backswing with the shoulders."  I try a practice swing, it feels stiff, awkward, and slow.  I tee one up, straight down the middle and a little longer than I'd been hitting.  I've played a few more rounds and it still feels stiff, but I'm averaging 250-260yds now and have only been missing a handful a fairways a round. 

This guy seriously fixed my slice after watching three drives and giving me 8 seconds of instruction.  I'm fired up to get out there and get my scores down now, but there probably isn't much more golf to be played this season, but in the spring I am definately getting fitted with some quality sticks   

2/13/11 2:34 PM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What usually happens is people swing harder with the driver, makes them swing off plane and or leave the face open at impact.

Also the slower your swing speed, the more loft you need, i hit a 12 degree driver better and farther than a 10 degree.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.