UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Referee shoved by Jardine responds

9/17/10 11:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Steve Armstrong's night was nearly over. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation referee had just presided over the Shark Fights 13 co-main event, and now he was waiting to do his last pre-fight check over main event participant Keith Jardine.

Armstrong waited in the aisle of the Amarillo Civic Center as Jardine threw his arms up for the cheering crowd and approached him. As they intersected, Armstrong stopped Jardine with his right hand in order to begin his mandatory check. In a flash, Jardine pushed Armstrong's hand away and then stared at the veteran referee for a beat before shoving him backwards.

That quick exchange, which took just 2.5 seconds in real time, landed Jardine an indefinite suspension at the hands of the state's athletic sanctioning body, TDLR. In an interview with MMA Fighting, Armstrong explained how the incident took place and his thoughts on the actions that landed the MMA veteran in hot water.

"I think he was zoning. He was fixing to fight a big fight. I was trying to stop him, and he smirked and pushed me. I said, 'You push me again, you're DQ'd.' Then he patted my shoulder like he realized what was going on. I think he got caught in the moment."

"I don't know if I would've even brought it up. But the commissioner and assistant commissioner were sitting 10 feet away so they were watching the whole thing. They asked me why he pushed me. I said, 'I don't know.' And I really don't know. It wasn't something I did, that's for sure."

"He's got a lot of fights, he should know better. There's no excuse but I didn't want to see him get suspended indefinitely. I just wanted to know, 'Hey, do you have a mouthpiece and a cup on?' In every fight that's checked, so this is nothing new to Keith. We're always going to look at your gloves and do those checks. That's all very standard, going through that checkpoint."

"I think the state doesn't want anyone else to do this, so they may be making a statement that this is not the way you conduct yourself. And it's true, you have to conduct yourself as a professional. But I believe everyone makes mistakes. You'd have to look at his career and see if he has a habit of doing these things. If it's his first offense, it's not a habitual thing. He seems like pretty much a gentleman. I think he got carried away in a big moment, in a big fight. I wish him the best. I didn't take it personally, but it's not up to me."

Read entire article...

9/17/10 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MNFAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like a great explanation, and the brief video that I saw, the ref certainly didn't do anything to deserve the shove.

Hopefully Jardine falls on his sword, apologizes and the AC takes a little mercy on him.
9/17/10 12:05 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One problem I have with the ref's explanation, he grabbed at Jardine's shirt and started to take it off, he didnt ask about cup, gloves or mouthpiece. He didnt get his attention, he just groped at him while Jardine was looking in the other direction.

I dont think he thought much of it (and I am sure he has never fought a single fight, so he doesnt realize guys are not in a normal state of mind) by just groping away without getting some eye contact first, but that is what caused the interaction, plain and simple.
9/17/10 12:05 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/17/10 12:05 PM
double post
9/17/10 12:06 PM
Apoc

All I'm saying is, whether I am part of the staff or not I am not going to tug on the shirt of a fighter who is psyching himself up to fight. I feel like the whole thing could have been handled better from the start, and Jardine obviously felt bad about it when he patted him on the back like 5 seconds later when he realized who the guy was.
9/17/10 12:13 PM
stlnl2

Apoc -  All I'm saying is, whether I am part of the staff or not I am not going to tug on the shirt of a fighter who is psyching himself up to fight. I feel like the whole thing could have been handled better from the start, and Jardine obviously felt bad about it when he patted him on the back like 5 seconds later when he realized who the guy was.

I agree 100%, and way, way too many of the various state's commissions are full of folks (from refs to judges to the guys calling the shots) who absolutely zero actual fight experience. Why is that? Why do people who have no idea what the folks they govern go through, how they think, or even the difference in the ground positions have any say at all at to what happens in the sport?
9/17/10 12:27 PM
abnerman

After watching the video, I don't think Jardine should have been suspended or even reprimanded.
It was a misunderstanding.

It didn't look like he even knew the guy was a ref, all he knew was that some dude was tugging his shirt 'up' while he was looking the other way.

If the ref wouldn't have been such an awkward ass about it, there would have been no problem.

9/17/10 12:47 PM
DiscoNfrno
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looked to me like he knew exactly who it was, and had an "I'm above you" attitude.  I seriously think he could have had an attitude because in his mind he's a "UFC Fighter" and was above this "Shark" crap.
9/17/10 12:53 PM
fabes
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith shoved him and looked to immediately apologize once he realized who it was. I don't think a suspension is necessary, maybe just a public apology.
9/17/10 12:58 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is the ref grabbing Jardine's shirt for anyway? Phone Post
9/17/10 1:08 PM
Metal Andy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should just get big johns take on the situation and call it a day Phone Post
9/17/10 1:10 PM
abnerman

DJStudd - anyone got a vid or gif ?

The video is on the page linked at the top.
9/17/10 1:16 PM
ajjr0ller
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the same state that will probably issue Loaded Gloves a license suspends Jardine indefinitely for barely pushing a ref?
9/17/10 1:57 PM
FightMeI'mIrish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stlnl2 - One problem I have with the ref's explanation, he grabbed at Jardine's shirt and started to take it off, he didnt ask about cup, gloves or mouthpiece. He didnt get his attention, he just groped at him while Jardine was looking in the other direction.

I dont think he thought much of it (and I am sure he has never fought a single fight, so he doesnt realize guys are not in a normal state of mind) by just groping away without getting some eye contact first, but that is what caused the interaction, plain and simple.

The ref doesn't know what's going on in a fighter's head, but you do? How many fights have you had?

I've had 12, and I can tell you the fighter can and should be aware of what is going on. The pre-fight check is universal, it ALWAYS happens. You walk down the isle and directly to the ref.

And a fighter shouldn't be pushing anybody. It was probably a mistake, but a fighter needs to be professional and take responsibility for his actions.
9/17/10 2:08 PM
KimuraCrunch

Ref sounds like a sensible dude. So what if he tugged at his shirt? You shouldnt be planning to shove anyone but your opponent when the fight starts. Your corner men are gonna be grabbing at you, refs are gonna be trying to get your attention, and fans are gonna be acting a damn fool. Keith knows this and there's really no excuse. When I read the story it didn't sound that bad, but when I saw the vid I thought it was a pretty dick move by Keith.
9/17/10 2:14 PM
Archer0545

Fade2Bolivian -  He was just following the rules of conduct established by Mean College, of which he is the dean.
Subtle, yet lolworthy.

9/17/10 2:19 PM
The Elastic Assassin
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he looked right at him paused and then shoved him.....he knew who he was shoving....

but with that said he deserved it....why teh fuck was he grabbign at him?...was HE going to remove his shirt?...wtf?!?!?
9/17/10 2:49 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fighter can remove his own shirt. Not sure why the ref thought that was his job. Phone Post
9/17/10 2:58 PM
B0NESAW

I love how right when it was happening, Bas was giving a shout out to the underground
9/17/10 3:50 PM
FightMeI'mIrish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Elastic Assassin - he looked right at him paused and then shoved him.....he knew who he was shoving....

but with that said he deserved it....why teh fuck was he grabbign at him?...was HE going to remove his shirt?...wtf?!?!?

Deserved it?

Bullshit. You clearly didn't learn any sportsmanship in your 1 fight.

The ref is in charge. It's the fighter's job to do whatever the ref says. Jardine was at cageside, it was time to remove his shirt, verify to the ref that he was wearing his protective equipment, and get in the cage. if he needed more time to give "pounds" to the crowd and hug all of his training partners. he should have asked nicely.

Laying his hands on the official was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. You're there to participate in a sporting event, not be a rockstar, and you have to pay attention to the officials.
9/17/10 4:01 PM
The Elastic Assassin
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMeI'mIrish - 
The Elastic Assassin - he looked right at him paused and then shoved him.....he knew who he was shoving....

Deserved it?

The ref is in charge. It's the fighter's job to do whatever the ref says. Jardine was at cageside, it was time to remove his shirt, verify to the ref that he was wearing his protective equipment, and get in the cage. if he needed more time to give "pounds" to the crowd and hug all of his training partners. he should have asked nicely.

Laying his hands on the official was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. You're there to participate in a sporting event, not be a rockstar, and you have to pay attention to the officials.

#1 not the ref....

#2 wtf w/ thsi trend here of bagging on guys w/o 534 fights....give em a fuckign break....

#3 the official said he was "in the zone" or whatever..why grab at a guy....like i tell my kids "use your words"...this applies to jardine also but jardien did not initate this....
9/17/10 4:10 PM
stlnl2

FightMeI'mIrish - 
stlnl2 - One problem I have with the ref's explanation, he grabbed at Jardine's shirt and started to take it off, he didnt ask about cup, gloves or mouthpiece. He didnt get his attention, he just groped at him while Jardine was looking in the other direction.

The ref doesn't know what's going on in a fighter's head, but you do? How many fights have you had?

I've had 12, and I can tell you the fighter can and should be aware of what is going on. The pre-fight check is universal, it ALWAYS happens. You walk down the isle and directly to the ref.

And a fighter shouldn't be pushing anybody. It was probably a mistake, but a fighter needs to be professional and take responsibility for his actions.

I have had 9, so you have had a ref come from a side you dont see him on an start yanking your shirt? I advise watching the vid. Because the ref was not directly in Jardine's path and it was dark as hell.
9/17/10 4:12 PM
da Vinci 81
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's Jardine's side to this? Has he commented at all why he shoved the guy? It doesn't make much sense for a guy with that much experience to knowingly shove a ref.
9/17/10 5:20 PM
FightMeI'mIrish

The Elastic Assassin - 
FightMeI'mIrish - 

Deserved it?

#1 not the ref....

#2 wtf w/ thsi trend here of bagging on guys w/o 534 fights....give em a fuckign break....

#3 the official said he was "in the zone" or whatever..why grab at a guy....like i tell my kids "use your words"...this applies to jardine also but jardien did not initate this....

#1 YES, the ref. Read the article.

#2 If you are going to post on this site with a green name, you should show sportsmanship, Not advocate striking an official because you don't like the way he touched your shirt.

#3 There is NO excuse for laying your hands on an official, EVER, for ANY reason. the ref tugged at his shirt because it was time for the shirt to come off, Jardine was there to fight, not show "bro-love" to all his training partners. It's the refs job to keep the show moving.

Watching the video again it's obviously deliberate. A lot of people have worked very hard to dispel the idea that fighters are all a bunch of violent meatheads. Shit like this takes us back a step. Jardine had the eyes of the world on him. He's a professional? he needs to act like one.
9/17/10 5:20 PM
FightMeI'mIrish

Edited: 09/17/10 5:24 PM
double

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.