UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> how old is too old to start judo?

9/19/10 4:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pachanga
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I currently train BJJ and I'm thinking of taking up Judo for a variety of reasons. I'm 31. I would laugh if someone asked if that was too old to start BJJ and say "of course not", and I imagine I'll get the same response, but I'll ask anyway - "Is that too old to start Judo?" Or if not too old, is it a normal enough age to start, or will everyone be much younger than me? I guess I ask because I've heard Judo can be quite demanding/tough on your body in terms of injuries etc, from constantly being thrown and so on. I also tend to get headaches when I get thrown in BJJ, probably from bad break-falling (one reason I'd be keen to do Judo).
9/19/10 11:44 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In no way are you too old. It is more a function of your injuries that you bring and can your body sustain the physical requirements of judo?. Starting out as a white belt and learning is relatively injury free. Throws on crash pads, learning different throws, learning footwork, learning entries, learning how to lift and pull and various arm movemments for all the techniques is the challenge at first. You already have mat skills so it is learning pin positions/transitions. How can you get injured doing the above?
9/20/10 12:57 AM
LetsTalkItOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Small amount of experience so far in judo but the adult white belts at the dojo i train go through a range of ages. I see a few 30-50 year old white belts.
9/21/10 1:44 AM
zenshin416

I too have been wondering the same question. I am now 32 and kickboxed a few years. As I get older getting punched in the face is not that appealing anymore and always had an interest in Judo, I was just wondering has my time past to get competitive in judo or win some championships?
9/21/10 6:46 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just try it and you will either commit to it or not. I see more frustration from the mental side from those like yourself. What I mean the progress is slow to learn judo throws. You will enjoy the ground work to show the skills you have acquired. But a big part of judo is learning transition skills from the standing to the ground. Getting punched and kicked is no fun as you mentioned.
9/21/10 9:17 AM
walknazty
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt -  I see more frustration from the mental side from those like yourself. What I mean the progress is slow to learn judo throws.

This is very true. I started judo at 30 years old and almost quit after 3 months of frustration trying to learn the most basic throws. Right about the time I was ready to quit, something "clicked" and I began to "feel" the throws and they went from being very mechanical and awkward to much more natural and fluid.

9/21/10 6:08 PM
Decado24
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started judo last year @ 32. I have had more injuries then I did when I started BJJ but now over a year later the injuries happen less.
9/21/10 10:49 PM
judom
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/21/10 10:49 PM
It depends for what purpose. If it is to compete seriously, yes, it is too old. If it is to enjoy a great sport, then no. At this point, I would definitely chose a less competitive dojo. There is no need for going through grueling physical workouts and so on.
9/22/10 12:38 AM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I started at 34-35. I'm 44 now. still alive
9/22/10 8:48 AM
walknazty
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judom - going through grueling physical workouts

That is part of what makes judo such a kick-ass sport
9/22/10 10:40 AM
judoblackbelt

Decado24- Were your injuries from trying to hard or trying things you were unable to do? You may of felt some pressure because of your BJJ background. Probably too tense in your movements/reactions. Glad you progressed to less injuries and more enjoyment.
9/23/10 1:02 PM
jllamas

i will be 41 this fall i was thinking about starting judo also, might be a bad idea but im getting old so feel like time is running out your 31 join now so when your my age you will have 10 years under your belt
9/27/10 4:09 PM
Decado24
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Decado24- Were your injuries from trying to hard or trying things you were unable to do? You may of felt some pressure because of your BJJ background. Probably too tense in your movements/reactions. Glad you progressed to less injuries and more enjoyment.

I think most of the injuries were from me trying things while sparring that I wasn't ready for, bad form and/or working with other new guys that were just as clueless as me on how to do most of the moves.

Most of the injuries were knee and ankle injures. Mostly me fall awkwardly or having someone fall on my leg. With better form and proper kazushi accidents happened less.

At the club I go to we have a lot of guys that come in with BJJ backgrounds and everybody has been laid back about it. If guys do go hard in the begining it's usually because they don't know what they are doing and are just working hard to compensate for lack of knowledge. After a couple practices everybodys has learned how to relax.

Overall I'm very happy with the club I'm at as we have a lot of guys that show up to every practice and many of the people come in with different martial arts backgrounds so there is always something new.
9/28/10 10:37 AM
judoblackbelt

Thanks Decado24, just like I thought. Trying to muscle throws with no kazushi, not developing a throw to the opposite side, no ashiwaza to set up your big throw leds to what you describe. The biggest satisfaction in judo is throwing "uke' using good kusushi and/or combinations with ashiwaza as a setup. In practice it is not to get the throw at any cost. It is developement of your throwing tecknique.
9/28/10 5:59 PM
LeroyJ

People 30+ start all the time...but they usually quit after a while. The ones that stick around to take the beating, I really have a ton of respect for. They typically never get great, but keep coming back & get worked over by the young/more skilled guys.

Many props to them for determination.
9/29/10 11:35 AM
Outkaster
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say watch out. I was 32 and it was tough because I had injuries already coming in. I like a lot of it even though physically I could not perform all the throws. If you train at a competitive school you may have a hard time fitting in.
9/29/10 11:31 PM
vegard
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started six months ago at 42. I would have loved to start at 32 -- that is the tail end of your athletic prime. If you are feeling old by your early 30's, you really need to look at how you are living your life and what your workouts are doing to you. The older you get the more you need to focus on strength with balance and flexibility, not just banging a bunch of weights around.
9/30/10 8:40 AM
Outkaster
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's true. I work out at a University gym and there are things that I can't do that the other kids do. You have to be realistic and work within your limits.
10/6/10 6:10 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was younger I heard a Judo black belt say that people should not start Judo over 30. I think it depends on the school and person. I know a guy that started Judo when he was in his early 40's. I did not think he would last but 8 years later he got his black. He had a hard time with the younger guys in the beginning (like me) but he stuck it out and outlasted almost everyone from back then.
10/6/10 6:16 PM
judoblackbelt

Tboy2- I can substantiate your experience, Started judo around 41, took 9 years to get my BB, 4 more years for Nidan and I have been asked to learn the kame no kata for Sandan. Competed green belt thru Black belt and then some. Alsos a 4 stripped blue in BJJ (started 1996.
12/13/10 8:19 AM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took a judo class in college at 19 that almost got me started in judo, but I stayed with karate (was closing in on blackbelt an wanted to finish it out). I really really wish I had jumped ship back then. I'm 25 now and really want to get started with it for real, I wrestled for a couple years and boxed some, but I can see judo as something that could keep me fairly happy as a lifetime pursuit. Its good to ear I've still got plenty of time (not delusional enough to be wanting win national championships or anything, but I'd love to start competing and trying to win some tournaments). Phone Post
12/13/10 6:11 PM
judoblackbelt

Seul- you might be too old for top level comp but your background and young age is a plus. YOu still have 4 years left in senior (under30)competition to develope your judo game. BY the time you are 30 you can play in the Masters division (30 over). You can start judo I would say 50 and younger if you do not have major injuries (back/neck/shoulders/knees/elbows/hips), are somewhat flexible and athletic/strong to a certain degree. YOu can be 25, not in good athletic shape, not strong, not use to physical sports and wash out in judo.
12/14/10 12:31 PM
Outkaster

I just think it is the toughest Martial Art to endure and that's why coming from a striking background it was a tough transition to go through. Just learning the falls is hard. I had 20 years in striking arts but Judo will teach you a lot of humility because of the dynamics of the art. I agree with the above poster about major injuries.
12/14/10 4:11 PM
FatBuddha
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you have to ask you're too old!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.